RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,108
Posts: 5,432,760
Members: 24,932
Currently online: 653
Newest member: Cani

TrekToday headlines

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 15 2011, 02:34 AM   #511
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Great Pumpkin, is that you?
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

RAMA wrote: View Post
I knew that, but I had no idea JUST how big loud and stupid Tran3 was going to be...they literally had characters screaming for 10 secs at a time. I think half the script was screaming...
See ... that's what I don't understand. At this point, how can anyone NOT know what to expect out of a Michael Bay film -- particularly a Bayformers film?

I think the other problem with GL (other than its mediocrity) is that the film looks like a comic book come to life. The whole point of a live-action film is to translate the comics into an entirely different aesthetic. And yet GL, with its combination of the suit & mask, the alien settings, the aliens themselves ... it looks like it ought to have been an animated film. In fact, had the film been presented as pure CGI (or traditional animation) I guarantee that, at the very least, the critical reception would be much more forgiving.

davejames wrote: View Post
I didn't sense any pretention in GL at all. And I certainly don't see how Hal being a jock qualifies. The fear stuff might have been pushed a little hard, and may not have been completely believable coming from Reynolds, but it was all still fairly standard, comic booky stuff anyway (and not much different than all the cheesy "lessons" we heard in the Spidey movies).

To me, pretentious is the SW prequels, or Matrix sequels. GL doesn't even come CLOSE to that. It was just trying to be a fun little supehero movie.
Perhaps we're interpreting pretension differently, then. Which is certainly a possibility. But, to me, trying to portray Hal as a sympathetic, aw-shucks character while he's got this charmed life is the very definition of pretentiousness. Especially considering the film tries, HARD, to convey the thematic element of confronting and accepting one's fear. I think audiences and critics would be more open to such a theme if the main character wasn't a cocky, ladies-man test pilot. If you don't see it that way, that's cool. I don't think you're wrong. But I think my interpretation is, at least in part, why some reviewers reveled in criticizing the film.
__________________
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:14 AM   #512
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I knew that, but I had no idea JUST how big loud and stupid Tran3 was going to be...they literally had characters screaming for 10 secs at a time. I think half the script was screaming...
See ... that's what I don't understand. At this point, how can anyone NOT know what to expect out of a Michael Bay film -- particularly a Bayformers film?

I think the other problem with GL (other than its mediocrity) is that the film looks like a comic book come to life. The whole point of a live-action film is to translate the comics into an entirely different aesthetic. And yet GL, with its combination of the suit & mask, the alien settings, the aliens themselves ... it looks like it ought to have been an animated film. In fact, had the film been presented as pure CGI (or traditional animation) I guarantee that, at the very least, the critical reception would be much more forgiving.

davejames wrote: View Post
I didn't sense any pretention in GL at all. And I certainly don't see how Hal being a jock qualifies. The fear stuff might have been pushed a little hard, and may not have been completely believable coming from Reynolds, but it was all still fairly standard, comic booky stuff anyway (and not much different than all the cheesy "lessons" we heard in the Spidey movies).

To me, pretentious is the SW prequels, or Matrix sequels. GL doesn't even come CLOSE to that. It was just trying to be a fun little supehero movie.
Perhaps we're interpreting pretension differently, then. Which is certainly a possibility. But, to me, trying to portray Hal as a sympathetic, aw-shucks character while he's got this charmed life is the very definition of pretentiousness. Especially considering the film tries, HARD, to convey the thematic element of confronting and accepting one's fear. I think audiences and critics would be more open to such a theme if the main character wasn't a cocky, ladies-man test pilot. If you don't see it that way, that's cool. I don't think you're wrong. But I think my interpretation is, at least in part, why some reviewers reveled in criticizing the film.

Obviously Tran3 hit a new level of loud stupidity previously unseen...although I had the misfortune of watching Armageddon, and that was pretty dire as well.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:17 AM   #513
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

davejames wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I think the difference is that TF3 has no pretension whatsoever. You know, going in, that it's going to be Big Loud And Stupid™. It's pure cinematic spectacle without regard to anything other than visual (and maybe aural) stimulation. Meanwhile, GL tried, HARD, to be something that it, clearly, wasn't meant to be. Trying to portray your test-piloting, supermodel-banging hero as an "every day Joe" is preposterous at best (true the hero in TF3 has a supermodel girlfriend, but at least he's going through what a LOT of people are struggling with these days: trying to find a job). At worst, it's the very height of pretension. As a result, people are more than willing to pile on in trashing a film that, while merely mediocre (and certainly not a failure), is so completely tone deaf to the current zeitgeist.
I didn't sense any pretention in GL at all. And I certainly don't see how Hal being a jock qualifies. The fear stuff might have been pushed a little hard, and may not have been completely believable coming from Reynolds, but it was all still fairly standard, comic booky stuff anyway (and not much different than all the cheesy "lessons" we heard in the Spidey movies).

To me, pretentious is the SW prequels, or Matrix sequels. GL doesn't even come CLOSE to that. It was just trying to be a fun little supehero movie.

Also, I don't think the film was pushing Hal Jordan as anything OTHER than a jock...I don't think he was shown as an everday Joe at all. He is obviously a unique individual as evidenced by being chosen by the ring.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:20 AM   #514
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Great Pumpkin, is that you?
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Right. The whole family scene ... Reynolds' entire performance ... none of it tried to portray Hal Jordan as anything but a truly exceptional, better-than-the-audience character. Come to think of it, such a portrayal would be ... I dunno ... pretentious?
__________________
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:24 AM   #515
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Right. The whole family scene ... Reynolds' entire performance ... none of it tried to portray Hal Jordan as anything but a truly exceptional, better-than-the-audience character. Come to think of it, such a portrayal would be ... I dunno ... pretentious?

So exceptional human beings don't have family life???

It IS true that Jordan tried to fake out Hector Hammond by saying he had expectations put upon him and such, but those were expectations of someone unique, not an avg Joe.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:32 AM   #516
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Great Pumpkin, is that you?
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

You miss the point. Most every-day Joes aren't test-piloting, model-banging egomaniacs who neglect the vast majority of their families. That GL tried to portray Hal Jordan as an every-day Joe who, oh by the way, is a test pilot who wakes up with models and neglects the vast majority of his family, is the basis of the why I believe the film is pretentious.

You don't see it that way? Fine. But the vast majority of moviegoers decided not to see the film -- to the point where it literally bombed at the box office. And I'm pretty sure that my perspective is at least part of the reason why.
__________________
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:43 AM   #517
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
You miss the point. Most every-day Joes aren't test-piloting, model-banging egomaniacs who neglect the vast majority of their families. That GL tried to portray Hal Jordan as an every-day Joe who, oh by the way, is a test pilot who wakes up with models and neglects the vast majority of his family, is the basis of the why I believe the film is pretentious.

You don't see it that way? Fine. But the vast majority of moviegoers decided not to see the film -- to the point where it literally bombed at the box office. And I'm pretty sure that my perspective is at least part of the reason why.
Well its hard to say why people didn't see it...lots of sheep around these days who only judge by critics. Word of mouth wasn't strong...suggesting it just wasn't gripping enough for people to recommend it. Strong competition is another reason...both from action movies and other superhero movies. I think that "concept" foes like Parallax don't do as well with audiences, and nerdy Hector Hammond didn't make up for that by giving it a "humanized" element. Hal Jordan pretentiously portrayed as an everyman jock...probably not high on the list avg moviegoer didn't see it.

For myself I like certain moments and parts better than the overall movie. For a superhero movie it has a stratospheric background saga compared to others, but with middle-of-the-pack execution. Still, I think the scenes on Oa are iconic.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

Last edited by RAMA; July 15 2011 at 03:54 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:53 AM   #518
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Great Pumpkin, is that you?
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

For what it's worth, I loved the thematic foundation of the story: the power of Will vs. the power of Fear. Parallax, as the embodiment of Fear, works on a symbolic level. I just think the film did a poor job of connecting that theme to the audience. The alien worlds and cartoonish visuals were a hindrance; Hal as a test-pilot jock -- as the supposed symbolic embodiment of Will -- was a hindrance. That's not to say that it's impossible for viewers to make the intended connections, but considering the presentation, it's not surprising that most people opted not to even bother putting their arses into theater seats (and why critics were so happy to criticize the film).
__________________

Last edited by Ancient Mariner; July 15 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 04:19 AM   #519
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
And I'm pretty sure that my perspective is at least part of the reason why.
I doubt it.

The movie hasn't done all that well.

You have a theory.

There's literally no connection between these two things.

Moving on...

I'm going to see this again tomorrow evening, despite it no longer showing in 3D near here. I hate to pay to see a 3D adventure movie flat, but them's the breaks.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; July 15 2011 at 05:03 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 04:48 AM   #520
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah, between the critics not understanding the character or universe at all, and the comic fans being pissed that it wasn't some huge, epic space movie (alongside the fact they just don't like Reynolds as Hal), the negative buzz was just too much for it to overcome I think.
It always gets pointed out, maybe not here but about the net, that movies aren't solely made for comic fans. That's true. It's always noted, accurately I'll add, that there aren't enough dollars to just make a movie for the diehards or even the occasional comic book fan of a character. I just want to note the converse and point out comic fans could've not shown up and the movie would still have a total of $95-$100m, we just aren't that big.

This movie died because it was made for general audiences, like any movie, and it was a mess. Word of Mouth + reviews confirmed that overall it was a "wait for DVD" movie.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 05:46 PM   #521
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

RAMA wrote: View Post
Kind of sad this movie made less than $150 million...I just didn't think it was bad enough to warrant this sort of indifference in a summer movie climate of blockbuster action movies.
I dunno; for a movie to get a warmer response than indifference, I kinda think it should be a bit better than "not that bad". Maybe it should even be good.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 06:11 PM   #522
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
It always gets pointed out, maybe not here but about the net, that movies aren't solely made for comic fans. That's true. It's always noted, accurately I'll add, that there aren't enough dollars to just make a movie for the diehards or even the occasional comic book fan of a character. I just want to note the converse and point out comic fans could've not shown up and the movie would still have a total of $95-$100m, we just aren't that big.
True, but I wasn't really talking about the box office, just the huge amount of negative buzz that was out there. And I don't think there's any doubt that the genre fans trashing the movie from the beginning contributed a fair amount to that.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 07:33 PM   #523
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

DarKush wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't get the collapse or the pile-on. Lantern wasn't great, but it wasn't the abomination the critics made it out to be. I think the near universal negative reviews from the critics really helped sink this film. It didn't help though that the film was just average and didn't have much to stave off the heavy condemnation. I wonder if it had been released in February or March, without all the stiff competition, if that would've helped it.
I don't think a 300 million dollar movie released in Feb or March would've gotten it's money back either. Remember Watchmen?

This GL was designed (maybe overtly so) for a summer release. The mix of reviews from critics with the bad word of mouth is what sunk it. And I think that would have happened even in Feb or March. It wasn't the competition that sunk it, it was just not a good movie.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 09:34 PM   #524
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

It's starting to feel to me like GL is the Shadow all over again-- another small-scale, kinda cornball comic book movie that I completely dug from the beginning and thought hit all the right, geeky notes.... and which every other scifi fan just shrugs at and goes "eh, whatever." lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 10:13 PM   #525
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

davejames wrote: View Post
It's starting to feel to me like GL is the Shadow all over again-- another small-scale, kinda cornball comic book movie that I completely dug from the beginning and thought hit all the right, geeky notes.... and which every other scifi fan just shrugs at and goes "eh, whatever." lol
Perhaps. But, I doubt they spent 200-300 million dollars on The Shadow--which, I agree, is a fun movie.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
comic books, dc comics, green lantern, movie, ryan reynolds

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.