RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 480
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 15 2011, 02:40 AM   #1591
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Fine, he can break his neck in the tunnel of love at the Gotham fair. It's not the method, I just never want to see the Joker again.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 02:42 AM   #1592
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Huh. Well, fair enough, although a lot of those don't count (1940s era,
You mean the era in which the character was made?

Why on earth wouldn't that count?

This is the thing I understand with fans of American comic book superheroes. They have a very clear idea of what is the definitive version of a given character, and it's never the original iteration - more often it's whatever the hell was being published when they were twelve.
Old July 15 2011, 02:46 AM   #1593
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Because twelve is muthereffing important!
Old July 15 2011, 03:07 AM   #1594
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I've grown to quite like this batmobile.
It's one element I still don't like.

A much more sensible and less cartoonish vehicle. My favorite of the live action Batmans.
Old July 15 2011, 03:13 AM   #1595
Warped9
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I've grown to quite like this batmobile.

A much more sensible and less cartoonish vehicle. My favorite of the live action Batmans.
Agreed. It's become my favourite batmobile. Besides the Tumbler I still love the '66 TV Batmobile even though it doesn't make one bit of sense. It was by far the best thing about the series.

I've never really cared for the previous live-action film batmobiles. Even Keaton's first one was ridiculous and they just got worse. I much prefer the version they had in Batman TAS.
Old July 15 2011, 03:16 AM   #1596
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

The Batman '89 Batmobile certainly fit the aesthetic -- the context -- of the film. The Nolanmobile does the same for his films. I prefer the more gothic look, but both work.
Old July 15 2011, 03:20 AM   #1597
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post

This is the thing I understand with fans of American comic book superheroes. They have a very clear idea of what is the definitive version of a given character, and it's never the original iteration - more often it's whatever the hell was being published when they were twelve.
Oh, that's absolutely true. We're a terrible lot in that regard. Although for my part, the definitive version of Batman was published when I was three. I just didn't read it till I was twelve.

In fairness, though, I don't believe the general public would much recognize that Bat-Man, either. The use of guns, the murder, the hyphen. The thing is, I think it's safe to say, although I'm not scholar of Golden Age comics, that that particular version of Batman hasn't really been utilized in almost seventy years, and at best has only influenced the modern takes Batman.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 03:20 AM   #1598
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
The Batman '89 Batmobile certainly fit the aesthetic -- the context -- of the film. The Nolanmobile does the same for his films. I prefer the more gothic look, but both work.

Probably but I didn't really like the steamboiler look of the 1989 Batman movie or the Batmobile.

RAMA
Old July 15 2011, 03:22 AM   #1599
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post

Oh, that's absolutely true. We're a terrible lot in that regard.

In fairness, though, I don't believe the general public would much recognize that Bat-Man, either. The use of guns, the murder, the hyphen.

Interesting, because the "gothic" look associated with the Dark Knight graphic novel and the 1989 movie really had NOTHING to do with the original Batman either..it was a pretty straightforward city with a strightforward underworld element. Somehow along the line people thought gothic was Batman.
Old July 15 2011, 03:24 AM   #1600
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

Probably but I didn't really like the steamboiler look of the 1989 Batman movie or the Batmobile.
You'll get no arguments from me on that score ... it's purely an aesthetic argument. Either you like Burton's style ... or you don't. Pretty much the same for Nolan. Personally, I prefer Burton, but I think both aesthetics work equally well for the kind of story each director was trying to convey.
Old July 15 2011, 03:49 AM   #1601
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I never knew Batman killed vampires.
Old July 15 2011, 03:57 AM   #1602
Kegg
Rear Admiral

The thing is, I think it's safe to say, although I'm not scholar of Golden Age comics, that that particular version of Batman hasn't really been utilized in almost seventy years, and at best has only influenced the modern takes Batman.
Right, but trying to understand the authentic Batman has twisted my head in loops. To straw-man a medley of arguments I've heard in these forums, the Adam West Batman is a mockery of the definitive Batman, who of course was defined in the 1970s (or, alternately, the 1980s, depending who is talking, although the 1970s appear to be more popular). It's as if time travel is needed to unknot the argument or I'm so dense or manipulative I had no idea what they were on about really.

Personally, I prefer Burton, but I think both aesthetics work equally well for the kind of story each director was trying to convey.
Pretty much. That's an interesting question, aesthetic. Generally I'd say the Nolan films are the better movies, and handily so - although Batman Returns has a deserved third place, however distant, in my book.

But the Batmobile? The Danny Elfman theme? The Gothic Gotham? I do tend to reflexively think of that when I think of Batman, for precisely the same reasons others go to their preferred iterations - saw it first. And yeah, I like the Gotham and the Batmobile and (especially) the orchestral soundtrack of the Burton films more than I do Nolan's.
Old July 15 2011, 04:33 AM   #1603
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I agree. At this point, though, it really doesn't make much difference.
Yeah, it won't deter me from seeing TDKR in the least.
Still, a small part of me was hoping that along with a rebuilt new mansion we might get a newer Batmobile. I just don't see the Tumbler, a vehicle built for the military and looks like it was, as being practical(as many champion it is) in the urban street environment where roads become alleys quickly sometimes.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 12:50 PM   #1604
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

A much more sensible and less cartoonish vehicle
In a movie about a dude dressing up as a giant bat.

The problem with the 'Nolan-verse' is that it's so grounded in realism the central conceit of some dude dressing up and fighting crime is actually too far fetched.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 01:28 PM   #1605
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Nolan's films are set in the 'real world' in the same sense, say, Die Hard is. The Tumbler makes perfect sense with that kind of action film logic, as does Batman himself.