MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 9 2011, 05:16 AM   #31
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Not sure if the above was in response to my previous post or not, so let me be more specific, just in case? I was talking about the Phase II shuttle that was a finished concept, fully fleshed out and ready to go to the model stage. Specifically, the wing mounted "guns" which are similar to the "skis" on the TAS shuttle.

Here's a linky.... http://www.ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/phase2_1.php ,Just thought I'd throw that out there, for whatever it's worth.
My apologies. I misunderstood and thought you were talking about MJ's early concept for TOS. Yep, his Phase II idea looks more finished although I find it oddly inconsistent design wise with the general design style of the TOS universe even if revamped for Phase II. I certainly don't think it looks consistent with what we saw in TMP. But it is interesting and looks more finalized.
Old July 9 2011, 08:15 PM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

Done, at least as far as all the major elements and details are in place. Now it's a matter of tweaking the drawings a bit for the individual sheets along with labels. Then some basic interior setups to get a better sense of scale for final dimensions. Then on to the heavy lander.

Well, it certainly took long enough to get to this point on this design. Also I'd like to say that I'm rather pleased with the overall result. I did reams of sketches to get the basic proportions and shapes right before settling on this. Initially my idea was not to have the large forward viewport as seen here. My original idea was to play on some of the exaggerated proportions of the onscreen version while keeping the overall look and the upper portion of the hull would have had a sensor array at its leading edge that would have just looked something like the triangular forward viewport. Essentially there wouldn't have been a viewport and the crew would "see" forward via a large monitor display that perhaps could have simulated a viewport. But in the end I went with my gut feeling and tried to make the above approach work, which seems to have panned out.

Last edited by Warped9; July 9 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 12:41 AM   #33
Warped9
Admiral

Pretty close to what this will finally look like.

The sheets aren't numbered yet because I haven't yet decided exactly how many each set will be comprised of. All three of the TAS shuttlecraft will be part of the set. Presently I'm thinking six exterior views, perhaps three interiors, a history and specifications sheet, project notes, a cover sheet and maybe a sheet of perspective views for each craft. That makes thirty-five sheets for the set as it now stands.

Hmm...we'll see.

Last edited by Warped9; July 10 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old July 10 2011, 07:19 PM   #34
Warped9
Admiral

The TAS scoutship design is finalized as you can see by these first two completed sheets. There is one small difference from the images I posted earlier upthread. I've made a slight modification that some might not even notice right off, but I've made the forward viewport surface a bit less raked in angle. This not only makes the overall look a little more like what we saw onscreen, but it also affords me a smidgen more interior cabin length.

Old July 10 2011, 07:38 PM   #35
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

You've mis-spelled "nacelle" in those... you might wanna fix that.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 09:03 PM   #36
Warped9
Admiral

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
You've mis-spelled "nacelle" in those... you might wanna fix that.
Thanks. Can fix.
Old July 10 2011, 09:23 PM   #37
publiusr
Commodore

A wonderful job. The full sized TAS version might be thought of as a spacedock only version, or one that would take up a whole shuttlebay with other shuttles away for refurbishing.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 09:28 PM   #38
Warped9
Admiral

Old July 12 2011, 02:33 AM   #39
Warped9
Admiral

A glimpse of what's in progress...

Again I'm a little surprised by how I've been able to keep the size down more than I expected.

My thinking behind this is that while sizable on the outside this craft is rather cramped on the inside and suitable for a complement of perhaps three personnel. This heavy auxiliary or "heavy lander" is meant for surveying worlds and anomalies with extreme conditions. It's sturdily built with enhanced shielding and structure. It has a powerful antigrav system as well as impulse engines in tandem with low warp capability. The nose or forward section of the craft is brimming with a variety of sensor arrays and scientific analysis equipment. A rough analogy of this vessel would be a space going version of a deep sea submersible. It's mission profiles are primarily of limited range and duration due mostly to its lack of support systems for the small crew for extended periods.

Small note: if it had been available to them this craft might have been a better choice of vehicle to explore the Murasaki 312 phenomena in "The Galileo Seven." Still, as we saw in "Mudd's Passion" it doesn't do well with oversized alien dinosaurs.

Last edited by Warped9; July 12 2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old July 12 2011, 04:45 AM   #40
Wingsley
Commodore

I appreciate your desire to adhere, at least overall, to the TAS "designs", but the more I look at the "heavy lander" the more I think of how TAS deviated from Matt Jefferies' design sensibilities and how those designs blended so well with the ideals represented in TOS. The somewhat boxier shape of the Class F standard shuttlecraft does carry an important advantage: it seems to allow for an interior that would be much more space-efficient. The Class L is much curvier, even more so than most TNG designs I recall. This strongly suggests to me that it would be less useful for hauling personnel and cargo. Just my two credits' worth...
Old July 12 2011, 05:43 AM   #41
Warped9
Admiral

Jefferies' designs looked like they were well thought out as credible pieces of machinery. The TAS designs don't exhibit that---they were drawn just to look different.

That said I think I've been able to make the scoutship look reasonably credible and not too much of a deviation from TOS' Starfleet design. I also tried to resist making it too sleek and well integrated. I hoped I could get a touch of ungainliness in it that would give it some measure of utilitarianism to its look.

When I look at the heavy lander I see something of an aircraft fuselage in it as well as something almost bug like. It certainly deviates from TOS' Starfleet look, but we can also assume that tech and hardware within a "real" Trek universe would have variations in appearance. One could rationalize that Starfleet engineers might not have designed the lander and that they contracted out it to someone else or purchased an existing design adapted to their specific needs.

I think the aquashuttle is going to be the hardest to adapt. I actually don't like the onscreen version at all and there's absolutely nothing aquatic about its appearance. But I'll make an effort to do what I can to adapt it to something remotely believable.

I made an effort once to draw orthos of the TAS designs almost exactly as they were presented onscreen. They looked ridiculous with horrible lines and proportions and, of course, way off scale and oversized. The scoutship and lander would make a DS9 runabout look small and at the scale they're shown it would be impossible for crew to get in and out of the craft without some form of ladder or mechanical aid, perhaps like those vehicles with stairs to disembark from aircraft seen at airports where you disembark on the tarmac. The main reason I don't accept the onscreen scale/size of the designs is best shown by how wildly out of scale the hangar deck is shown---it's impossibly oversized to ever fit in the ship we are well familiar with. So what we see onscreen in TAS is a very exaggerated style of artwork. And even the exterior of the Enterprise, while immediately recognizable, is way off in how aspects of it were drawn.

Last edited by Warped9; July 12 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old July 12 2011, 05:52 PM   #42
Wingsley
Commodore

Oh, yes, I agree! The TAS drawings were totally unrealistic. Of course, that's what you get from a 1970's cartoon. Very cheesy.
Old July 13 2011, 06:11 PM   #43
JES
Captain

To me, the nose of the Class L reminds be of a truck. In fact, the entire shuttlecraft reminds me of the cab of a truck.

And what would do well against giant saurians? Even if it where armored like a tank, it still would've probably gotten flattened like a pancake.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 06:12 PM   #44
Warped9
Admiral

Progress. Seems to be coming along better than I initially thought. I think the top plan view looks somewhat odd, but then what can you do with this kind of shape? The top of the fore section, or the "hood," as well as the "roof" are a degree less curved than before. And by pulling the nacelles forward just a tad I get a little better visual balance and a bit shorter length overall down to about 30ft. I also opted for a less curvature in the viewport (as seen from above) to give me a bit more interior space. I rather like the side profiles of this while the front and top views make me think of a truck. The front view has something of a helicopter feel to it. For myself one of the big accomplishments of these adapted designs goes beyond having something that is recognizable with the onscreen versions, but more that these versions could actually fit onto the Enterprise's flight deck even if temporarily.

Mind you I can imagine a starbase Commodore giving Kirk some grief: "What is it with you, Kirk? We loan you a heavy lander and later an aquashuttle and you manage to lose both of them. What are you, son, some sort of doomsday machine or something?"

Last edited by Warped9; July 13 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old July 13 2011, 10:55 PM   #45
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

Really enjoying the artwork and attention on making the designs workable. Well done indeed.

I never really had a problem with TAS shuttles as presented.
Sure, there are size discrepancies and such, but even latter day ST suffered that problem.

In fact, TAS never gave us the standard shuttlecraft from TOS, which might have been an easy way out to just duplicate an existing design.

I appreciate the variety TAS presented, when they didn't even have to. And personally the designs are fine by me. Even better, they didn't really screw TOO much with the established design aesthetics. You could still tell they were ST vessels, which is nice.

And now with your updates and revisions, it's great all over again.

(btw i liked the j.w.pepper reference )
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote