Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 12 2011, 09:22 PM   #1
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_895779.html

Netflix has announced their new fucked up pricing model.

No more free streaming!

What made Netflix great is you can watch things online, mainly older things, and still get newer movies in the mail. That's all gone now.

This wouldn't be a big deal, but it's not like the newer movies are added to streaming quickly. Some are, but many are not. Until that is addressed I think this is insane.

This is just opening the door for other companies to come in, which is great because maybe then Netflix will get their had out of their ass.
Old July 12 2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Oh Netflix, I Knew It Wouldn't Last

No, it's not going away! I'm just complaining.

I didn't see a thread about this, so apologies if there already is one. I got an email from Netflix today saying that they're dividing up unlimited streaming and unlimited DVD plans. So if I want to keep what I have now, I go from $9.99 to $15.98 a month. That's a steep jump for me, considering I've been trying to economize a bit.

I'm torn now. I like getting the DVDs, especially since I never go to the movies anymore. On the other hand, I definitely haven't been renting as many movies and I've been streaming a lot. I'm thinking about just going with unlimited streaming which is $7.99/month but I'm considering just cancelling altogether.

Anyone else hit with a change? Any decisions?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

Yeah I was pretty irritated to read the email about it this morning. I really wouldn't care if there were more movies on instant. I mean, they have a huge instant library already, but I still have a great deal of movies on my DVD queue that they seem to have no intention of adding to instant any time soon. It sucks that I'm going to have to choose, because I can't afford to have both now.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Man, you beat me by two minutes! I posted about it in my own thread but hopefully the mods will just close that thread. Here was my OP:

No, it's not going away! I'm just complaining.

I didn't see a thread about this, so apologies if there already is one. I got an email from Netflix today saying that they're dividing up unlimited streaming and unlimited DVD plans. So if I want to keep what I have now, I go from $9.99 to $15.98 a month. That's a steep jump for me, considering I've been trying to economize a bit.

I'm torn now. I like getting the DVDs, especially since I never go to the movies anymore. On the other hand, I definitely haven't been renting as many movies and I've been streaming a lot. I'm thinking about just going with unlimited streaming which is $7.99/month but I'm considering just cancelling altogether.

Anyone else hit with a change? Any decisions?
Old July 12 2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Looks like this doesn't affect me since I only use the streaming and have never used the DVDs.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 09:31 PM   #6
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I made a note to switch just before the changeover (I'll be damned if they cut off my service a second before their deadline), and I'm pretty sure I'll be going to DVD-only. I rarely used streaming, but it was nice to have.

I was pretty shocked by the change, too.
Old July 12 2011, 09:33 PM   #7
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Yeah I was pretty irritated to read the email about it this morning. I really wouldn't care if there were more movies on instant. I mean, they have a huge instant library already, but I still have a great deal of movies on my DVD queue that they seem to have no intention of adding to instant any time soon. It sucks that I'm going to have to choose, because I can't afford to have both now.

That's my main problem too. If they add a ton of movies to streaming on September 1, then maybe this works, but as of right now it's a total fail.

I go over my friend's dorm and we watch Doctor Who, and Dead Like Me and I was hoping when he came back in September we could then watch some Star Trek. Nope, not going to happen now.

It's what made Netflix special. For only $2 more you get streaming and discs. And dumbass company can have internet streaming, we have seen many fail at it, it was mainly do to Netflix being better.

Now they aren't better and some studios might see the weakness and start up their own service. Which is fine, but then there won't be 1 site with a whole bunch of shows and movies, there will be 18 with a few movies each.
Old July 12 2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Looks like this doesn't affect me since I only use the streaming and have never used the DVDs.
Yeah, it won't affect you. I know that they need to turn a profit but after increasing the price last year, I'm not thrilled about this. I'll have to see what sort of cable options we get at our apartment in CA and see what makes the most sense financially. I want to have a way to see new releases but I've gotten less interested in movies coming out, so it might not be a big loss.
Old July 12 2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I think I am going to go with instant only, because that is what I use the most. And mostly for the TV series' they have on there, I hardly ever watch actual movies on instant. This just means that I won't get to see a lot of the newer releases since I can't afford to go see them in the theater and now I can't afford to see them on Netflix. Maybe I will Redbox the ones I really want to see. Or have to wait several years for them to show up on TV...sigh.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Tan Ru
Captain

Re: Oh Netflix, I Knew It Wouldn't Last

I think I'm gonna cancel my account with Netflix.

I don't like all the price-jump games they're having... In this Obamaconomy where one must watch their hard-earned denero, Netflix monthly fees are just getting too damn high. (just like cable)

Plus I've seen all the classics I want to see from the Netflix library and I could care less about new movies about giant space-robots, speedy Japanese tuner-cars and/or magical British children/teens.
Old July 12 2011, 09:38 PM   #11
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Kestra wrote: View Post
Yeah, it won't affect you. I know that they need to turn a profit but after increasing the price last year, I'm not thrilled about this. I'll have to see what sort of cable options we get at our apartment in CA and see what makes the most sense financially. I want to have a way to see new releases but I've gotten less interested in movies coming out, so it might not be a big loss.
I guarantee you there's no cable deal that will come close to Netflix prices. I view the Netflix streaming as basically on-demand TV service for $8 a month. There is really nothing out there to compete with it, unless you use a competing service like Hulu. Going to a satellite or cable system? Forget it. It will cost at least three times as much, and most likely more.

This is why I upgraded my Internet service to fiber (for less than my DSL bill) and jumped onto Netflix, instead of signing up with a cable service or something.
Old July 12 2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Oh Netflix, I Knew It Wouldn't Last

I've never taken to streaming. I'll stick to the old fashioned DVD method probably till Netflix pries it from my cold, dead hands. 2x is good enough for me. I could probably downgrade to 1x, especially in the fall.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I guarantee you there's no cable deal that will come close to Netflix prices. I view the Netflix streaming as basically on-demand TV service for $8 a month. There is really nothing out there to compete with it, unless you use a competing service like Hulu. Going to a satellite or cable system? Forget it. It will cost at least three times as much, and most likely more.

This is why I upgraded my Internet service to fiber (for less than my DSL bill) and jumped onto Netflix, instead of signing up with a cable service or something.
Oh, I think we're going to end up doing a combination of services and I just need to see what makes the most sense. Cable, or Netflix and Hulu, whatever works.
Old July 12 2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Oh, I think we're going to end up doing a combination of services and I just need to see what makes the most sense. Cable, or Netflix and Hulu, whatever works.
Become a total recluse! No more TV or Internet or phones! It's cheap and no one can bother you!
Old July 12 2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I need to check my bill. Isn't the 2x DVD rental more than $12/month now? If so, I'm in luck since I've never bothered with streaming and don't really plan to anytime soon. I dislike watching anything longer than 10 minutes on my PC.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote