Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 8 2011, 04:07 PM   #31
Infern0
Captain

Re: Good episode for introducing Star Trek to children?

Terra Nova from Enterprise season 1

They will be fans for life!
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 09:13 PM   #32
klingonhybrid
Ensign

I feel like its probably mostly american kids nowadays that would get bored with TOS right away....for instance, I tried showing my nephew (who is 5) an episode of TOS, and he lost interest pretty quickly...

I showed him the new movie and he loved it. I plan on starting him off with specific TNG, DS9, and VOY episodes, but I have to find episodes that have sufficient comedy and LOTS of action. Im thinking lots of klingons....

The thing is, nowadays, american kids have more than one entertainment source, if they dont like what you are watching, they can go watch tv in the other room...too much stimulus...
Back when I was a kid, it was star trek or nothing, and that allowed me to focus on the show and realize that it was awesome...(although I think as soon as I heard the intro music I was a fan)
klingonhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 12:15 AM   #33
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Jefferies wrote: View Post
Well I thought the Void was entertaining but also interesting with a nice and hopeful message at the same time. I hope you aren't offended for me saying this, but Arena is kind of crude. It's basically a glorified wrestling match. Star Trek can do much better than that.
No offense taken! But I do remember that it was one of my favorite episodes when I was a kid.

You can't go wrong with giant lizards. Just ask Godzilla.

How about "Devil in the Dark" which is another good "monster" episode? And with a positive message no less.
I wouldn't use Devil in the Dark for young children.

Scenes like this might be disturbing.

For young kids: How about the Corbomite Maneuver? The "bad guy" is played by a kid and turns out to be friendly.
Also Tribbles would be a good one. Lots of tribbles and silliness.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 08:19 AM   #34
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

How about And the Children Shall Lead oh, wait, maybe not

Maybe some of the first season DS9 episodes featuring Jake and Nog or episodes with Klingons, from any series, maybe The Magificent Ferengi or Little Green Men from DS9. From TNG I'd go with Datalore, or Conspiracy, Pen Pals, Peak Performance, QPid. It depends on both the age and gender of the child, at least somewhat.

Just some ideas
Old July 10 2011, 04:26 PM   #35
cblmc1296
Commander

View cblmc1296's Twitter Profile

While a positive message is always a good thing, I think the focus should be on finding something fun and entertaining for the kids to watch. If they enjoy it, they'll eventually watch other episodes and the morals and messages will start coming through.

Heck, I didn't start getting the "messages" until I was older anyway. If two of the kids you're going to introduce to Trek are 5 and 7 - try something light hearted like "Trouble With Tribbles" or the animated episode "Practical Joker".
cblmc1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 07:24 PM   #36
MagGu
Lieutenant

When I was young, Rascals was my favorite episode of TNG! I loved that they became kids, it was just fascinating to me, as a young person, (I was 12-13 when I first saw it) that the captain becomes a kid, and still saves the day!
MagGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 08:18 PM   #37
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I loved Rascals as a kid too. I still like it quite a bit as an adult too.

I think the thing you need to remember is that we're talking about kids here. Showing them an episode that encapsulates the values of the Federation and presents a positive message for the futu-- blah blah blah. Show them explosions, horror, comedy, or action. Yes, kids aren't stupid, but their tastes are a little more shallow. They aren't going to enjoy "City on the Edge of Forever" or "The Inner Light" for example. And they sure as hell don't care about the Federation beyond "that's where the good guys live". Here are my suggestions:

TOS:

Arena, A Piece of the Action, Trouble With Tribbles, The Enemy Within, The Savage Curtain, Mirror Mirror, The Naked Time

TNG:

Rascals, Best of Both Worlds, Chain of Command (seriously), The Enemy, Clues, Power Play, Time's Arrow, Schisms, A Fistful of Datas, Gambit, Lower Decks, First Duty

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 11:22 PM   #38
nightwind1
Commodore

klingonhybrid wrote: View Post
DO NOT start them off with TOS....That would be a TERRIBLE mistake and they wouldnt ever watch star trek again. most likely anyway.

I am 25, and I grew up watching TNG, as it was on TV in 91-93 when I was 5-8.
The special effects of that show were current, and so my interest was grasped.
I definately would have appreciated TOS, since that was in the early 90's.

A child of 7-12 years of age now, should probably be introduced to TNG, DS9, or VOY.
At that point its your call. I'd choose an episode that plays sort of like a mini movie, with alot of drama and comedy, and less technical sci-fi.......
From there, hopefully they will become attached to the characters and off you go....they are future trek fans...whom will breed trek fans......muuuhhahhaha

Also, dont discount a movie night with one of the Trek movies....
Well, I'm 50, and I started with TOS (when it wasn't TOS), and it is what hooked me on Star Trek.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 01:08 AM   #39
cblmc1296
Commander

View cblmc1296's Twitter Profile

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
DO NOT start them off with TOS....That would be a TERRIBLE mistake and they wouldnt ever watch star trek again. most likely anyway.

I am 25, and I grew up watching TNG, as it was on TV in 91-93 when I was 5-8.
The special effects of that show were current, and so my interest was grasped.
I definately would have appreciated TOS, since that was in the early 90's.

A child of 7-12 years of age now, should probably be introduced to TNG, DS9, or VOY.
At that point its your call. I'd choose an episode that plays sort of like a mini movie, with alot of drama and comedy, and less technical sci-fi.......
From there, hopefully they will become attached to the characters and off you go....they are future trek fans...whom will breed trek fans......muuuhhahhaha

Also, dont discount a movie night with one of the Trek movies....
Well, I'm 50, and I started with TOS (when it wasn't TOS), and it is what hooked me on Star Trek.
Same here. When TOS was in its first run I was a mere toddler and I liked it then. When I was able to watch it in syndication during my grade school years, I liked it even more! Nevertheless, unlike some people my age, I found it relatively easy to get into TNG as well. Although, I haven't become quite as involved with DS9, VOY, or ENT, I think they all have good storytelling in common.
cblmc1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 02:33 PM   #40
indranee
Vice Admiral

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Terra Nova from Enterprise season 1

They will be fans for life!
I sincerely hope you're joking.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 02:36 PM   #41
indranee
Vice Admiral

I feel like its probably mostly american kids nowadays that would get bored with TOS right away....for instance, I tried showing my nephew (who is 5) an episode of TOS, and he lost interest pretty quickly...

I showed him the new movie and he loved it. I plan on starting him off with specific TNG, DS9, and VOY episodes, but I have to find episodes that have sufficient comedy and LOTS of action. Im thinking lots of klingons....

The thing is, nowadays, american kids have more than one entertainment source, if they dont like what you are watching, they can go watch tv in the other room...too much stimulus...
Back when I was a kid, it was star trek or nothing, and that allowed me to focus on the show and realize that it was awesome...(although I think as soon as I heard the intro music I was a fan)
Yeah, I think the new movie has the right touch of action and repose for kids these days. I'd start with that, except you need to really hammer home the fact that it is set in the alternate universe. Once my niece got that (and she loved the new movie), she was really curious about the older shows and movies. I should mention that she *has* seen quite a few of the older series episodes as well as First Contact, Generations, and all of the TOS movies -- so she's pretty much a Trek veteran for a 10-year old.

But I agree that the new movie is a good intro in terms of generating interest in the younger kids.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 05:34 PM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

For kids that age i might go with something like "The Trouble with Tribbles"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 10:02 PM   #43
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Something from TOS. It's bright, colorful and has a far greater sense of fun and adventure than the later shows. Try Journey To Babel or maybe The Galileo Seven if Arena isn't your thing.

I would think Babel would be too complicated for a young child. I would have to go with my all time favorite episode of "The Corbomite Maneuver". On the surface it is a very simple show, the gad guy is after us. At the end it has the pure Trek message of friednsip and logic over violence, plus the alien is played by a 5 year old that they would enjoy.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 04:56 AM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Jefferies wrote: View Post
Well I thought the Void was entertaining but also interesting with a nice and hopeful message at the same time. I hope you aren't offended for me saying this, but Arena is kind of crude. It's basically a glorified wrestling match. Star Trek can do much better than that.
No offense taken! But I do remember that it was one of my favorite episodes when I was a kid.

You can't go wrong with giant lizards. Just ask Godzilla.

How about "Devil in the Dark" which is another good "monster" episode? And with a positive message no less.
I wouldn't use Devil in the Dark for young children.

Scenes like this might be disturbing.

Depends on the kids, I suppose, but it's hard to imagine that the average seven-year-old would be disturbed by this. It's pretty tame by modern standards.

Plus, as I recall, I loved scary stuff when I was that age. I grew up on THE OUTER LIMITS, TOS, DARK SHADOWS, Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. My favorite TOS episodes at that age were the ones with the monsters in them: the Gorn, the Horta, the Salt Vampire, etc.

Granted, that was a long time ago, but I doubt that kids have changed all that much. My six-year-old niece can't get enough of zombies and dinosaurs and zombie dinosaurs. I just got her a pop-up version of FRANKENSTEIN for her birthday.

I suspect it's adults who don't want to expose kids to anything scary. Kids eat that stuff up . . . .