Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 31 2011, 07:32 PM   #91
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Re: Isaac Asimov?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I find myself nodding at this. Of the "Big Three," I think that Clarke's is the work that will endure the most, especially for short stories like "The Star" and "The Nine Billion Names of God."

Heinlein, I think, will be largely ignored and forgotten -- a science-fiction Washington Irving, essentially. (In his time, Irving was a major author, he defined the American voice. Outside of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle," no one reads Irving's work today.)
Sad, because he wrote The Moon.... and The Rolling Stones, Podkayne, etc-all fine books. And his collection of Future History stories is great as well....

If you're interested, Tor is publishing an authorized two-volume biography of Heinlein by William Patterson.

So he hasn't exactly slipped into obscurity yet!
Will definitely keep my eye out for that bio of Heinlein.

Can't say I like the idea of Heinlein's work fading into obscurity. His was the first SF I read in my teens, and there are a number of books of his I return to from time to time, and they never get old for me.

A lot of folks might dismiss him for some of his later work (Stranger, Number of the Beast, I WIll Fear no Evil, etc.), but I still think his overall body of work is an important part of science fiction in the 20th century, or at the very least an important part of american science fiction in the 20th century. The philosophical and moral underpinnings of his "juvenille" books, for example are still jsut as valid today as they were when they were written 50 or 60 years ago (and, I might add, a very sneaky way to expose younger readers to those things).

Personally, I cannot think of another science fiction autor I would rate higher than Robert Heinlein,and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sorry for going so far off-track. I now return this thread to the subject of Isaac Asimov already in progress...
Old May 31 2011, 07:33 PM   #92
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

The moon is a Harsh Mistress is still looked as a good political novel by those of a libertarian bent...
Old July 6 2011, 02:44 PM   #93
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

who was the asimov artist who did the foundation books from the late 80's?
from foundation to foundation and earth.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 03:02 PM   #94
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

You're probably thinking of Michael Whelan. His cover for Second Foundation helped to instill in me a lifelong love of redheads.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 03:05 PM   #95
ITElf
Vice Admiral

^ I used to have the Robot series with Humongous Mecha style robot artwork. I wonder which one was Daneel?

Old July 6 2011, 03:18 PM   #96
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

You're probably thinking of Michael Whelan. His cover for Second Foundation helped to instill in me a lifelong love of redheads.
Me and Arkady Darrell are going to get married someday. (Those legs!)

(That was less creepy when we were the same age.)
Old July 6 2011, 03:18 PM   #97
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

yep you're right. he was probably one of my favorite sci fi artist next to frank frezetta. two of my favorite covers were foundantion's edge and the second foundation. I've been trying to find some posters with those covers on them for my room. any help here would be appreciated.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 03:23 PM   #98
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Michael Whelan's website would probably be a good place to start.
Old July 6 2011, 03:29 PM   #99
stj
Rear Admiral

All these pages but no one has mentioned the short stories?
Dreaming is a Private Thing, The Ugly Little Boy, The Last Question, The Feeling of Power, The Martian Way, his short stories do include bad pulp like Friars but there is an impressive body of work there. The notion that Asimov isn't a "character driven" writer is exposed as the canard it really is. At least, in any reasonable interpretation of "character driven," which sometimes is code for some unsavory fantasies held by the (mis)user of the phrase.

Sometimes it seems to me that the real heart of science fiction is the short story. Possibly that's because short stories seem to have been peculiarly important in US literature, from the days of Washington Irving to Edgar Allan Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorne. Just looking at the novels is very misleading I think.

I think the best short story collections, aside from I, Robot and Foundation (using "short story" a little loosely there,) are Earth is Room Enough and Nine Tomorrows.

As to comparisons with Clarke and Heinlein, looking at the short stories, Heinlein does indeed bring up the rear, even remembering All You Zombies or By His Bootstraps. Heinlein's literary reputation I think in the end will rest upon the juveniles and the adult novels Double Star and The Door into Summer.

Stranger in a Strange Land will be remembered as a succes de scandale (pardon my French.) When conservatism becomes unfashionable again, Starship Troopers will die, while Farnham's Freehold and the brain transplant one that seems to be devoted to rationalizing sexual fantasies might kill his reputation despite the juveniles.

The day will not be soon. As noted, there is a two volume hagiography coming out. It is poor, poor stuff. It doesn't even wonder about the finances of Heinlein's silver mining venture. In discussing Heinlein's involvement in Upton Sinclair's EPIC campaign, it quotes Heinlein as talking about secret meetings of the Communist Party or about his factionalizing with EPIC without wondering what intelligence (military or police,) and business contacts Heinlein had when he was supposedly working for Sinclair!

On the subject of science fiction writers of stature, the truth of course is that H.G. Wells was and remains a writer of enormous stature. He is not considered so in conventional wisdom for political reasons and because it just offends against the canons of literature to imagine that things will be different, instead of plumbing the depths (yet again) of eternal Human Nature.
Old July 6 2011, 03:36 PM   #100
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Me and Arkady Darrell are going to get married someday. (Those legs!)

(That was less creepy when we were the same age.)
No comment. I wrote Foundation fanfic when I was that age...

allyngibson.net
Old July 6 2011, 03:40 PM   #101
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

Whelan and Frazetta are my favorite sf/f artists as well... Though I do have a nostalgic fondness for the exceedingly-old-school covers they had in my youth:

Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 07:34 PM   #102
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Whelan and Frazetta are my favorite sf/f artists as well... Though I do have a nostalgic fondness for the exceedingly-old-school covers they had in my youth:

Those are cool, and so are the famous Chriss Foss covers of the 70s.

This is the cover I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...283155&s=books

This is one of the best covers of all time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...=setImg&page=0

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; July 6 2011 at 07:50 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 07:37 PM   #103
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post

My mom has that set.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 07:45 PM   #104
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
The moon is a Harsh Mistress is still looked as a good political novel by those of a libertarian bent...
Excuse me? Where'd you find that brush you're painting with? The Moon... is a great little book about a revolution. Every revolution has a philosophy driving it-even if its just "more bread". To say the only fans are "libertarians" is an injustice-I'd say the fans of the story are sci-fi aficionados.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2011, 07:59 PM   #105
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
This is one of the best covers of all time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...=setImg&page=0
Ah, yes, Whelan's cover for the paperback edition of Foundation's Edge. Never did have any idea what the cover meant in relation to the novel's story. Doesn't stop me from loving it, though.

allyngibson.net