New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 5 2011, 04:20 AM   #361
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

FKnight wrote: View Post
This shot from The Defector is pretty much destroyed when cropped to 16:9.

Yes, but that's an easy shot to fix since the space shot will probably be redone anyway. It's the live action shots that are the hard ones.

Also, I caught a couple episodes of cropped Seinfeld over the weekend and it looked terrible. I really can't believe people prefer the cropped version over the original framing.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2011, 05:50 AM   #362
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Obviously this would be redone to fit in the frame, AND would probably feel more epic because of the wider image.

RAMA
Old July 5 2011, 07:41 AM   #363
Art Vandelay
Captain

mswood & FKnight, a few pages back I learned that when it comes to arguing with the pro-cropping, pro-stretching, pro-opening-the-matte croud, Grand Nagus Zek said it best: "It's... it's... it's like talking to a Klingon!"
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2011, 10:55 AM   #364
Flake
Commodore

It would be nice if they replace those mahoosive BOPS with Vorcha class ships (the bigger green ones)
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2011, 01:12 PM   #365
Igard
Lieutenant

Flake wrote: View Post
It would be nice if they replace those mahoosive BOPS with Vorcha class ships (the bigger green ones)
Yes, or have a couple of Vor'chas and some little BoPs dotted around. Only that would be enough to intimidate the Romulans.

This all sounds very good, if it can be done. But no cropping, please. If we want to zoom in, we can do that with our TV settings.
Old July 5 2011, 06:21 PM   #366
Flake
Commodore

Igard wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Yes, or have a couple of Vor'chas and some little BoPs dotted around. Only that would be enough to intimidate the Romulans.

This all sounds very good, if it can be done. But no cropping, please. If we want to zoom in, we can do that with our TV settings.
They will do the new FX in 16:9 regardless of whether or not the live action is in 16:9 or 4:3 because some TV stations will choose to air in 16:9. CBS Action here in the UK crop TOS to 16:9.

So they can frame this shot to look 'right' in 16:9 and 4:3 because it'll be remade from scratch, presumably.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2011, 10:04 PM   #367
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Would that matter? The space shots will be the first replaced with new VFX.
Old July 5 2011, 10:08 PM   #368
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
mswood & FKnight, a few pages back I learned that when it comes to arguing with the pro-cropping, pro-stretching, pro-opening-the-matte croud, Grand Nagus Zek said it best: "It's... it's... it's like talking to a Klingon!"
I love how people on here love to toss insults. All I've said is that I'd like to see 16:9 as an option. No different than having multiple audio options.

But I guess it's more satisfying to start tossing insults when someone disagrees with your view.
Old July 5 2011, 10:52 PM   #369
Butters
Captain

I think that this image demonstrates beautifully why TNG's fx need revisiting. The whole thing about scale, perspective, the distance between the ships, the qulity of light etc. The image looks like a composite assembled in an early version of MS Paint.

The FX must be fixed and re-interpretted.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 01:53 PM   #370
SoM
Commander

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
As I understand it there is some extra room around the 4:3 shot in the 35mm frame, so it's possible that when transferring off of the film (which they'll need to do anyway) that they could re-frame the shot to be 16 x 9 while still preserving the essence of the intended shot.
There's a little bit of extra room - the film shots have a ratio of 1.37:1. Barely worth mentioning in the context of the bad idea of cropping a 1.33:1 shot to 1.78:1.
SoM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 03:00 PM   #371
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

SoM wrote: View Post
There's a little bit of extra room - the film shots have a ratio of 1.37:1.
Even if they wanted to have a 4:3 framing with 1.37:1 full frame the edges would show unwanted production things on the set in the UNDERSCAN area which you wouldn't see on a tube CRT television but you would see on a computer playing the file where you see the edges.
For that matter even the Blu-ray with pillarboxing would see the complete left and right edges of frame.

I think CBS would stick to 4:3 as original aspect ratio and pillarbox it for HD for all of the issues involved with trying to hide things on the edge of frame on many shots.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 06:50 PM   #372
Mark 2000
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Mark 2000

[QUOTE=Butters;5079818]
I think that this image demonstrates beautifully why TNG's fx need revisiting. The whole thing about scale, perspective, the distance between the ships, the qulity of light etc. The image looks like a composite assembled in an early version of MS Paint.
I couldn't disagree with you more. The only thing I don't like about this shot is the huge BOPs. Other than that the lighting, composition, and quality of models is excellent. I'd rather have this than some cheap CG (which we would get). The worst model work looks better than the worst CG work and the best model work looks better than the best CG work.
Old July 11 2011, 10:21 AM   #373
Art Vandelay
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I love how people on here love to toss insults. All I've said is that I'd like to see 16:9 as an option. No different than having multiple audio options.

But I guess it's more satisfying to start tossing insults when someone disagrees with your view.
Dude, if you feel personally insulted, you got me wrong. You are the only 16:9 advocate who is asking for optional widescreen to be included. I respect and support that. It's the best solution we could possibly get.

I was talking to those people who throw around bad cropping/stretching jobs and utter things along the lines of: "Man, TNG must be 16:9 and fill that whole screen which I so expensively bought! Here's a sample screen, see how cool it looks! It works, doesn't it? It must not be 4:3, death to OAR!"

As for arguments as to why this is a spectacularly bad idea, there are posts by many other people apart from myself as you go back in this thread, and I'll leave the repeating to other posters. It's all been said before, and this thread is going in circles after circles after circles. Hence the Klingon comment.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 03:52 PM   #374
ATimson
Rear Admiral

You are the only 16:9 advocate who is asking for optional widescreen to be included. I respect and support that. It's the best solution we could possibly get.
But it would mean doubling the number of discs in the set, so there's no way in hell CBS would go for it.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2011, 04:01 PM   #375
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ That depends. On your typical TOS-R disc, how much of it is used? There could be enough space left over to do two.

Or simply sell two separate volumes from the get-go.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote