Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1 2011, 07:02 PM   #436
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Speaking of which, the water thing seemed a bit excessive. Wouldn't it have been easier just to create a net or baseball mit to catch her?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 09:49 PM   #437
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Funny story. I was buying liquor the other day and the security guy saw that I was wearing a Green Lantern t-shirt and asked what I thought of the movie. I told him I liked it, and he responded with, "They need to stop making superhero movies comedies".

Now, he was just a regular joe, and I wonder if that is somewhat representative of regular audiences' opinion of the film. I also wonder if that will effect the tone of the sequel, and whether or not it will be darker or more serious as a result.
Old July 1 2011, 09:58 PM   #438
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
You don't buy that BS about a sequel going forward do you? Green Lantern has made in 14 days $96m domestic. In that same time THOR made $130m, a total GL isn't going to come close for it's entire run. Warners said a Superman Returns sequel would happen as well.
When Bryan Singer showed up at Comic Con 2006 last month, he had done his best to get the studio to make a sequel announcement. He instead, "enthusiastically predicted" a second film would hit theaters in 2009, promising more action (one issue many fans had with the first film).
Fool ya once...

Things like this keep me from hoping on things that aren't likely. I didn't hate GL but I just don't buy this sequel nonsense that came out last weekend. Not. Buying. It.

People I've talked to off line that had problems with the movie were story related or pacing issues. A bit of humor is fine and GL didn't really have that much humor despite that first trailer making it look like it did. Maybe that first impression is still with that guy at the liquor store.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 10:00 PM   #439
Buck Rogers
Captain

I saw it at a morning showing and paid $6,but will be seeing it again at the bengies drive in theater with friends.
I liked it very much.
Yes there is a sequel screenrant has reported that fact not surprising eventhough box office numbers are low for this film.
The effects are good even for the suits considering they're constructs that the ring creates for each GL.
That's my opinion.
Signed
Buck Rogers
P.S.: I'm Back
Buck Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 08:41 AM   #440
Gov Karnstein
Admiral

I'm sorry this film didn't pan out, but hopefully the next will be better. Perhaps with Muppets it would be.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Karnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 02:15 PM   #441
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Avalon wrote: View Post
^^^ Hal caught her in a water-construct when she fell, and used it to push her out of the room to safety. If I remember correctly, you can hear her groan as she turns her head just before she falls.
Thanks. Damn. I must have totally blanked out during that part because I don't remember that at all.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 06:55 PM   #442
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Daily estimates have been rolling in over the July 4th weekend and Green Lantern is going to pass the $100m domestic mark on Sunday, it's 17th day in release. It'll likely be at $104m for the long weekend.

Box Office Mojo runs a showdown of similar movies.
By day 17
Thor = $145m domestic
XM:FC = $120m domestic
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 10:58 PM   #443
TemporalFlux
Commodore

Watched this a second time, and I only saw more missed story and characterization opportunities.

At the end, three Green Lanterns show up to rescue Hal - Tomar-Re, Kilowog and Sinestro. Why just those three? I would imagine it's because Tomar and Kilowog found out what was going on; shamed Sinestro for letting Hal go it alone; and then broke ranks to go help Hal on their own (Sinestro chasing after them). Of course, by the time the three get there, it's all over.

The above scene would have taken maybe a minute of screen time, but it would have helped flesh out characters and tie the story together. We may yet find such a scene was filmed and edited out; I'm really interested to see what deleted scenes there are for this film and how much they help; I feel a "Daredevil: Director's Cut" type scenario may unfold.

The after credits scene also finally made a little more sense to me this time around, but only because I took some guesses and basically imagined material that wasn't there.

So Sinestro essentially just had to admit in front of the entire Corps that Hal Jordan was better than him; Hal had the ability to overcome the greatest fear the Corps ever faced. Sinestro probably couldn't stand this fact, and he wanted to prove he could do what Hal did. Of course, there was no Parallax around; but there was a yellow ring. That ring was Sinestro's chance; he could prove he could overcome such power; he could even be better than the Guardian who failed to control it! And, of course, as soon as Sinestro puts on the ring, the power starts to consume him (leaving it open for the sequel to follow his battle for control of the power and his eventual defeat by it).

Again, the above needed maybe a couple of lines to explain. All they needed was Sinestro giving an angry monologue as he walked up to smash the yellow ring container. "I'll show them all!" and such.

I think that's what bothers me most about the movie; I believe Sinestro was played alot like a Vulcan, and that's not who he is. Sinestro is OCD; he's not emotionless.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:30 PM   #444
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The three Green Lanterns that came to rescue Hal were the members of the Corps with most contact with him in the movie. I thought that was obvious.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:52 PM   #445
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

We know who they were, but the movie never showed us why Tomar-Re and Kilowog would break ranks and chase after Hal, because Hal never spent enough time around either character to really establish any sort of friendship.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 12:02 AM   #446
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Script flaw that they didn't show why they came for him. One of many in the film. I will disagree regarding Tomar Re. He spent the most time around Tomar since the latter is the one who taught him how to use the ring. Kilowog "trained" him and Sinestro spent the majority of the movie derailing him until the end.

Old July 4 2011, 12:33 AM   #447
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I think Warner Bros. is in a different place then when they released Superman Returns. Back in 2006, they still had the Harry Potter franchise. Batman Begins had just come out, and The Dark Knight was on the horizon. They also didn't formalize DC Entertainment at that point, and I'm not quite sure they were fully aware of their cinematic plans at that point for DC superheroes.

Flash-forward to 2011, and the final Harry Potter film debuts this month, leaving a huge void that WB needs to fill. On top of that, the lucrative Nolan Batman franchise is ending next year, and Superman is still an unproven commodity. Plus, WB has realized it needs to do something with its DC properties, and they've etched out battle plans and ideas. I think they more actively want to compete with Marvel now, but most importantly, they need franchises to fill the void being left by Harry Potter.

I think Warner Bros. sees DC superheroes as the way to fill that void. I think they envision Green Lantern as an investment. If this movie is deemed a failure, what does that mean for future DC superhero installments a la The Flash, Man of Steel and other characters? WB didn't move forward with a Superman Returns sequel for numerous reasons, one being because they probably didn't really need that particular franchise at that current moment. I mean, the only reason why Man of Steel is moving forward in such a swift and timely fashion is because WB will lose partial rights to the character in 2013 if they don't. I'm fairly certain if WB wasn't in jeopardy of losing the rights the character would still be languishing in development hell.
Old July 4 2011, 04:40 AM   #448
davejames
Vice Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
At the end, three Green Lanterns show up to rescue Hal - Tomar-Re, Kilowog and Sinestro. Why just those three? I would imagine it's because Tomar and Kilowog found out what was going on; shamed Sinestro for letting Hal go it alone; and then broke ranks to go help Hal on their own (Sinestro chasing after them). Of course, by the time the three get there, it's all over.
I didn't really find that to be an issue myself. Those were the only three who were familiar with Hal, so it made sense they'd be the ones to show up.

What DID bother me was the way the Guardians just stood by and let humanity be nearly destroyed by Parallax. I don't know the comics or mythology that well, but aren't the Guardians supposed to, you know, watch out and try to protect life to the best of their ability?

As I said before, the way the Guardians and Corp are presented here, I'm not sure why Hal would WANT to join with up them.
Old July 4 2011, 07:00 AM   #449
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The Guardians as presented in the film are a little too removed and aloof in my opinion. It does seem strange that they would "allow" an enemy of theirs that one of their own Corps members captured and imprisoned to just ravage an innocent planet. I still enjoyed the film and have seen it twice despite the flaws and problems that are being pointed out here. Hopefully IF there is indeed a sequel they can iron out the problems that were in this film and tell a more streamlined and tightened story. This one had a lot going on and was literally all over the place

Old July 4 2011, 07:40 AM   #450
davejames
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Hopefully IF there is indeed a sequel they can iron out the problems that were in this film and tell a more streamlined and tightened story. This one had a lot going on and was literally all over the place
Well after just seeing the latest Transformers, I'd say GL looks like the very model of tight and efficient storytelling. lol