Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old July 1 2011, 08:30 PM   #1111
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Oh, that looks awesome, Ben! Unless I'm wrong, those look like new blocks in the second picture. On the first picture though, what the heck is that red tree?? Or is that the giant mushroom?

The one worry I have with these NPC villages is that the world will be overrun with them. They better be sparse, otherwise they won't be as special to encounter.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 08:33 PM   #1112
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I think they should be about as rare as dungeons.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 10:24 PM   #1113
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Looks good so far. I'm sure the actual release will be an unmitigated clusterfuck.
It's a Minecraft tradition now! It would be sad if Notch chose to break it by releasing a perfect 1.8 patch.

Seriously, I usually update on the first day (after waiting for a bugfix update), but I might wait a few days with 1.8. As excited as I am for it, they're adding so many game-changing things that something major is bound to go wrong and I don't want to start my game to find hostile pigmen destroying my town.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Oh, that looks awesome, Ben! Unless I'm wrong, those look like new blocks in the second picture.
There seems to be at least 3 new blocks (grey brick, and the mossy/broken variants) and iron bar doors. These were confirmed as new blocks and not replacement textures for old blocks.

On the first picture though, what the heck is that red tree?? Or is that the giant mushroom?
I'm pretty sure that's a giant red mushroom to go along with the giant brown mushroom. Honestly, I'm a bit wary of the idea of giant mushroom forests, but I'll wait to see what Notch has planned for them before calling them stupid.
Old July 1 2011, 11:02 PM   #1114
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Looks good so far. I'm sure the actual release will be an unmitigated clusterfuck.
Damn Robert, you're just Mr Sunshine lately aren't you?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 11:08 PM   #1115
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Damn Robert, you're just Mr Sunshine lately aren't you?
Fool me once, shame... shame on me. Fool me twice, you... you can't get fooled again!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 12:48 AM   #1116
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Here's my tribute to Assassin's Creed:

Hmm, some sort of temple.

Oh look, a golden alter.

Curious, it appears to be a button. I wonder what will happen if I push it...

My lord, a secret passageway?! The Templars must be up to something!!

You do not want to see the redstone circuitry for this! I designed the damn thing and I barely understand how it works. The tricky part was designing it so that the top stair segment was pushed up after the floor was pulled away, but it also needed to be pulled down before the floor was pushed back in. I don't understand how I got that to work, all I know is that I managed it somehow and I'm praying to Notch that it keeps on working.
Old July 2 2011, 01:10 AM   #1117
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

You mean like the behind the scenes of the official trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZma...otation_622085

Looks awesome
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 01:23 AM   #1118
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Nice one Ben.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old July 2 2011, 01:30 AM   #1119
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
You mean like the behind the scenes of the official trailer?
I think I used the same amount of redstone as that giant 1.7 wall in order to do less.
Old July 2 2011, 02:44 AM   #1120
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I think they should be about as rare as dungeons.
Which means I'm probably going to spawn a new world and my spawn point will be right next to one. I remember one time I spawned and there was a box canyon, and lava and water were flooding in from most of the walls and there was a half-exposed dungeon in the wall...
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 05:00 AM   #1121
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well, I just hope he actually finishes the villagers instead of leaving them half finished like wolves and achievements.

The nice thing about pistons and redstone is its reusable. I'm sure you'll come up with a more streamlined model with a little practice Ben.

Made a simple hidden door as my first piston project. Well, at least it would be hidden if it weren't for the lever sticking out of the cliffside.

Over on the MC forum I was looking at someone who could make either water or lava pour out of a hole with the flick of a lever. Seems to me it would make one heck of a trap puzzle. You fall into a pit and are presented with two levers. One floods the room with water, letting you float up and out. The other is lava, meaning instant death. Choose wisely.

Last edited by Cutter John; July 2 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old July 2 2011, 03:07 PM   #1122
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
The nice thing about pistons and redstone is its reusable. I'm sure you'll come up with a more streamlined model with a little practice Ben.
Well, I had forgotten that you can power adjacent blocks by alternating repeaters and normal redstone wires in parallel, which greatly simplified how the pistons themselves were powered. I also figured out how I got the stair thing to work, which is interesting as it's like as if my unconscious mind knew it would work and told my conscious mind to do it without explaining how it works.

The thing that takes up the most room is a T flip-flop which allows a single button (technically two buttons on the same input line) to turn it on and off. I checked the Minecraft wiki and there are smaller T flip-flops, but they're based on precise timing using repeaters and they're more likely to break over time. I decided to build the big reliable one instead. So there's definitely room for further optimisation, but I'm happy enough with where it's at right now.
Old July 2 2011, 03:31 PM   #1123
XwarlokX
Lieutenant

My projects with the pistons haven't been anything spectacular, and quite honestly have driven me up the wall trying to figure out how to get everything working properly.

I still can't get simultaneous functions figured out, like moving two sets of pistons at the same time unless they are in a series.

Maybe this is a clue I wasn't meant to be an electrical engineer. It gives me headaches..
XwarlokX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 03:49 PM   #1124
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Where does everyone play multiplayer?
Old July 3 2011, 08:24 AM   #1125
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

DH - Robert here runs a server we play on. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll be happy to let you in.

Last edited by Cutter John; July 3 2011 at 12:29 PM.