Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 29 2011, 01:48 PM   #316
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Mass Effect 3

Reverend wrote: View Post
Still, as the article points out there are a few notable cases of talent from the first two games not returning which has me a little worried. Mostly I think people are afraid that Bioware may be put under the same kind of pressure from EA that made them put out DA2 seemingly two thirds done. The feeling I've seen around the interwebs is that the EA suits may be of the opinion that since ME2 was such a big seller, they needn't spend as much on ME3 as they'll have a significant number of guaranteed sales from established fans.

Personally I doubt it, but the third instalment in any trilogy can be a tricky one...
Actually, the president of EA stated that Mass Effect is one of his favorite franchises and they pushed back ME3 to give it as much polish as possible. This was IIRC after the EA press conference on the first day of GameTrailers.com/Spike TV E3 coverage.
Old June 29 2011, 06:45 PM   #317
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^And who knows, he may have been telling the truth.

Seriously though, I can't see even the likes of EA risking ME3's development for short term gain so long as they want the franchise to continue after the Shepard trilogy is done.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 08:36 PM   #318
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I still think at least part of the reason for the delay was so that BioWare could add in stupid Kinect crap.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 09:20 PM   #319
JD
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
All I got from the link was an error message.
Old June 29 2011, 09:24 PM   #320
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Huh, the link worked just fine yesterday. The site itself must have removed the story.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 09:28 PM   #321
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Besides, I might have jumped the gun if the story turns out to be incorrect.
Old June 29 2011, 09:30 PM   #322
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Ah ha. Found it. They removed the story and put it back up without the "Official" Since it is still unconfirmed by EA and Bioware.

New Link

Old June 29 2011, 09:46 PM   #323
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Thanks for digging that up.
Old June 29 2011, 09:47 PM   #324
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

No problem.

Old June 29 2011, 10:18 PM   #325
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I still think at least part of the reason for the delay was so that BioWare could add in stupid Kinect crap.
I can't see that eating up several months worth of development. Unless there's more to it than they showed at E3 all they're really doing is mapping voice commands to certain, already present functions. It's not as if they're retooling the gameplay mechanics so the player has to flail their arms in mid-air to scan for minerals...hmm, maybe I shouldn't be giving them ideas!
Old June 29 2011, 10:32 PM   #326
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I can't see that eating up several months worth of development. Unless there's more to it than they showed at E3 all they're really doing is mapping voice commands to certain, already present functions. It's not as if they're retooling the gameplay mechanics so the player has to flail their arms in mid-air to scan for minerals...hmm, maybe I shouldn't be giving them ideas!
Great, now I'm going to have nightmares of that very scenario.

Still, it does feel to me more like Kinect was EA/Microsoft's idea than BioWare's.
Old June 29 2011, 10:43 PM   #327
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

It was almost certainly Microsoft's idea as they are pushing all the studios to find ways to use Kinect with their games. Notch, the guy that made Minecraft, said that when he signed a deal with MS to bring Minecraft to the 360, they insisted on it containing Kinect functionality and he agreed because they offered him a shit-tonne of money. He still has no idea how Kinect will work with the game, nor does MS or the studio that's making the port, but MS wanted it in there so that they could announce another Kinect game at E3.
Old June 30 2011, 12:26 AM   #328
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think that pretty much sums up why these motion control peripherals are probably going to ultimately fail to gain a foothold. They keep coming up with these gimmicky new control interfaces without having a clear idea as to how they're supposed to relate to the software. I mean game controllers weren't just some lucky fluke. Several decades of trial and error have gone into designing a device that directly links a brain to moving images on a screen by way of the thumbs.

I happen to think that the technology behind Kinect has a lot of potential, I'm just not sure the home console market is the best place for it.
Old July 1 2011, 03:20 PM   #329
Dinklebot
That Wizard

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

Oh God yes, we need head tracking for the romance parts.

Get it? Head tracking! Hehehe.

(Please, someone. Shoot me.)

"It would not be an Ubisoft game if you didn’t need to reach a high point and look around like a confused pigeon."
- Brendan Caldwell
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 04:45 PM   #330
Saquist
Commodore

I think that pretty much sums up why these motion control peripherals are probably going to ultimately fail to gain a foothold. They keep coming up with these gimmicky new control interfaces without having a clear idea as to how they're supposed to relate to the software. I mean game controllers weren't just some lucky fluke. Several decades of trial and error have gone into designing a device that directly links a brain to moving images on a screen by way of the thumbs.

I happen to think that the technology behind Kinect has a lot of potential, I'm just not sure the home console market is the best place for it.
The whole concept seems incomplete on X Box. With the Wii it made sense as part of the whole idea.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote