Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 29 2011, 03:23 AM   #16
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars novels: What to read?

I couldn't stand the Darth Bane books. Jedi vs. Sith tells the same story way better.
Old June 29 2011, 04:51 AM   #17
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Thanks for the thread. I was wondering the same thing too- trying to decide what books to get my hands on now that they are pretty much all available on eBook and/or audiobook. I've read bits and parts of the EU but want to read more. Zahn's books are the best of the lot by far. IMHO his "Heir to the Empire" trilogy could have easily been (or could be) the Episodes 7-9 that Lucas originally wanted to do. The Outbound Flight/Survivor's Quest make for an interesting duology and help expand a bit on the new characters introduced in the "Heir" books but are mostly side stories. I just recently got started on his "Hand of Thrawn" duology that follow the "Heir" books.

The Legacy of the Force series (which takes place LONG after the OT) is the only EU series I've read all the way through, which was pretty decent. I've waded into the New Jedi Order and the more recent Fate of the Jedi series a bit though I haven't gotten very far in either of them as of yet.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:57 AM   #18
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Here's my recommendations, based on what you've already read:
The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy
The Hand of Thrawn duology
The Young Jedi Knights series
Cloak of Deception

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 07:18 AM   #19
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

To be more constructive, books I'd read that you haven't already:

- Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future - not as good as Zahn's original trilogy, but still very good
- X-Wing series - Jedi are cool, smugglers are cool, but starfighter pilots are the coolest
- I, Jedi - it's like the Jedi Academy books, but good
- Rogue Planet - good characterization for post-TMP Obi-Wan and Ben, plus some cool concepts and nice politics
- The Adventures of Lando Calrissian - you can't get cooler than Lannnndo
- A. C. Crispin's Han Solo trilogy - a strong, well-written backstory
- Republic Commando/Imperial Commando - Traviss's masterwork, with excellent characterization... almost too excellent
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor - the best classic-era adventure that's not the OT
- Crosscurrent - a fun standalone that leaves you wanting more
- The Ruins of Dantooine - okay, I'm just messing with you; this book is awful

And do finish The New Jedi Order.

I refused to try Fate of the Jedi after the debacle that was Legacy of the Force, so I can't help you there.
Old June 29 2011, 08:49 AM   #20
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Not novels, but you should look for the trades of the Star Wars: Legacy series from Dark Horse Comics. For my money the best Star Wars since The Empire Strikes Back.
Old June 29 2011, 09:08 AM   #21
Jono
Rear Admiral

The Adventures of Lando Calrissian trilogy, not your typical Star Wars novels, they are a bit more out there, but the author captured who a young Lando would be fantastically.

The Black Fleet Crisis is a great series as well, full of great military action, adventure and politics. However, one of the plot lines involves Luke looking for his mother and the prequels does remove the mystery that was originally there.

For the comic, I'd recommend reading the Dark Empire series (I, II, Empire's End). A lot of important stuff happens within the series, though I'm sure someone will come along and slam the series because they didn't like it.

If you are going to get into Legacy of the Force and later Fate of the Jedi. I think you'd benefit from reading the Jedi Academy trilogy and Darksaber as they do a lot of work in building who Daala is and as well as Kyp Durron.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 10:45 AM   #22
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Read The Thrawn trilogy and Tales of Mos eisley.

Don't read Shadows of the Empire. It's Crap

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 02:47 PM   #23
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
I couldn't stand the Darth Bane books. Jedi vs. Sith tells the same story way better.
I loved the Darth Bane books . I thought they painted a pretty compelling portrait of a Sith Lord, and it was cool to tell the story from the other side. Though I was initially thrown off by the cartoony style of the Jedi v. Sith graphic novel, I did wind up liking the story. JvS isn't essential to reading the Bane trilogy, however it does make it a more enjoyable total experience. If inclined, recommend reading JvS first, because it would serve as a prequel, of sorts, to the Bane trilogy. At latest, read it between Path of Destruction and The Rule of Two. From my recollection, JvS only covers roughly the end of the first Bane novel (PoD) and the beginning of the second (RoT). Most of the events in RoT take place after JvS, so the graphic novel is not completely telling the same story. Also, the final Bane novel, Dynasty of Evil is not too tied to JvS at all.

When I think about it Vin Diesel would make for an awesome Bane; though Michael Clarke Duncan was in my head when I was reading them.

Regarding the Sith-focused books, I recommend Decieved, which featured Darth Malgus, the main Sith from the Old Republic game trailers. I was pleasantly surprised by how much dimension was added to the guy, making him even more badass. There's also Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, which is a prequel to The Phantom Menace, and it is something of a fix for those who thought Maul got short shrift in TPM.

Someone mentioned the novel Crosscurrent, which takes place around the time of the Legacy of the Force series, it isn't a standalone; there's a follow-up novel coming out either this summer or fall. Though fandom is probably mixed on the Star Wars zombie novels, I enjoyed both Deathtroopers and Red Harvest; especially Deathtroopers which takes place during the OT; Harvest takes place during the Old Republic era.

Since the OP has read Dark Nest I guess you could venture into Legacy of the Force. Definitely read Legacy of the Force before you get into the ongoing Fate of the Jedi series. I think the reaction though with both Legacy and Fate has been very mixed. The New Jedi Order didn't sit well with some fans, though I got the impression that it was better received than either Legacy or Fate. So, I too recommend exploring the NJO more, though I only read about half the books: Vector Prime, Dark Tide duology, Edge of Victory duology, Star By Star, Destiny's Way, and The Unifying Force. Have Traitor, which many fans have recommended, but haven't read it yet. I'm not that big into the writer Matt Stover. But many SW fans swear by him.

Last edited by DarKush; June 29 2011 at 02:58 PM.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:15 PM   #24
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
I've read some comics already. I've read the first five Clone Wars/Republic TBPs, the first two Legacy TPBs, first KOTOR TPBs, and the Chewbacca graphic novel. I also own but have not yet read Union and Mara Jade: By the Emporer's Hand.
I know alot of people didn't like the Legacy of the Force series, but what about the next one, Fate of the Jedi? I haven't heard alot about it.
There are some other specific books I've been meaning to ask about that I just remembered:
Truce at Bakura
Corellian trilogy
Shadows of the Empire
Darth Bane series
Courscant Nights series
Republic Commando series
Clone Wars tv series tie ins
Coruscant Nights was so-so, And Darth Bane was enjoyable.

I read Truce at Bakura, the Correllian trilogy, and Shadows of the Empire back in the 1990's, and all I remember about them is that I read them.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:22 PM   #25
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

It's funny you should say that since I heard that Crosscurrent is actually the beginning of a trilogy. At least, that's why I haven't read it yet. I'm waiting for the whole thing to be available.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:32 PM   #26
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Here's my recommendations, based on what you've already read:
The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy
I kind of hated that trilogy. It's not as bad as the Black Fleet Crisis, but aside from the bits with Fett and Dengar, it was just boring. The chapters with Xizor are the only bits of a Star Wars book I've skimmed over without really reading.

The Young Jedi Knights series
Surprisingly good for YA books.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 04:56 PM   #27
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Revenge of the Sith novelization. Episode III done right.
Old June 29 2011, 05:24 PM   #28
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Red Harvest.

Avoid at all costs. I've never read a worse piece of trash

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 06:44 PM   #29
Yevetha
Commodore

Agree.

You should give a shot to the Deathtropers audiobook though, its really good.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 06:48 PM   #30
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post

It's funny you should say that since I heard that Crosscurrent is actually the beginning of a trilogy. At least, that's why I haven't read it yet. I'm waiting for the whole thing to be available.
It is? It does have dangling threads, and there is a sequel coming, but it works perfectly on its own. I have never heard that it's part of a trilogy.