Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Children Of The Storm.
Outstanding 64 52.89%
Above Average 41 33.88%
Average 11 9.09%
Below Average 1 0.83%
Poor 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28 2011, 10:46 PM   #181
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

Late May - July 2381 according to the Historian's note. Right after Unworthy. I forgot how that matches up with the Typhon Pact, but I'm pretty sure it's overlapped. And completely separate - one has nothing to do with the other. Read them in publication order if you like.
Old June 28 2011, 11:59 PM   #182
Christopher
Writer

Children of the Storm falls entirely within the 7-month gap between Ch. 1-18 of Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire (Feb-Mar '81) and Ch. 19-end of same (Oct '81-Feb '82). The rest of Typhon Pact is set mostly in August to October '82, well after CotS. So strictly speaking, there's no overlap at all timewise, and none storywise either.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 12:09 AM   #183
Kes
Captain

this book is just what i need and in the sample which is 4 chapters long kes was in it yes now im going get the tree version too.

AuntKate wrote: View Post
^^Not really spoilers, but I'm reading a lot of names I don't recognize in your review. Are Tom and B'Elanna the only Voyager characters in the novel?
Kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 07:43 AM   #184
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Hello folks,

Thanks to all those who have added their thoughts. Just thought I'd pop in and address a couple of things...

Christopher wrote: View Post
And isn't Miral aging a lot more slowly that past Klingon kids we've seen? She's three and she's acting like a three-year-old, if that. By the time Alexander was three, the actor playing him was more like eight or nine, I think. But then, Miral is only a quarter Klingon, isn't she?
Yeah, she is 1/4 Klingon and I always figured having the kids play older on TV was more a casting thing than an iron-clad rule about how various species and hybrids age. Even if we accept that Klingon kids age faster, I think Miral is/should stick closer to a human child.

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Might I add a me too?

I have all three novels--bought Full Circle twice after I thought I lost my first copy--and look forward to getting more as they come out. As others have said, you've gotten the whole optimistic Trek ethos down, of exploring new civilizations and types of beings and remaining hopeful throughout.

Would it be entirely wrong to say that your novels' major theme (one major theme) is the ongoing recovery of everyone involved--Alpha Quadrant, Delta Quadrant--from the Borg? I like good recovery sagas.
You may, and thanks for the compliments. I'm glad my vision appeals to you. As to the "recovery" theme...I don't know. It's not something I'm doing consciously. As a rule, I write from characters and less from a desire to explore larger themes overall. The nature and development of the Children in this story came from a particular real world idea I've been troubled by of late, but to go any bigger in terms of all three...I'll leave that to you guys and folks interested in more critical thinking about the stories. I honestly can't do both at the same time. If you're thinking like a literary analyst at the same time you're trying to create something, you end up censoring stuff. So I just kind of do what I do and leave it to others to analyze.

Kes wrote: View Post
this book is just what i need and in the sample which is 4 chapters long kes was in it yes now im going get the tree version too.
I'm glad what you read inspired you to pick up the dead tree version, but do be aware that though Kes is referenced in the story in terms of her impact and to note that she is still very much in the hearts and minds of the characters, she's not actually physically present in the novel. I'm worried something you read might have given you the wrong impression there, so...you know...fair warning.

Best,
Kirsten Beyer
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 06:44 AM   #185
AuntKate
Commodore

kimc wrote: View Post
I wonder if those Janeway fans who refuse to read anything set after Janeway's death have ever experienced a personal loss in their own lives. If they had, maybe they'd appreciate that it's possible to pay honor and tribute to someone even after they're gone, that they can still be a part of your life even if they aren't physically there. Maybe they'd understand that the grief and anger can't last forever, that loss is something that must eventually be accepted and coped with and integrated into your life as you move on. Janeway is a pervasive, influential presence throughout Unworthy and Children of the Storm. The books serve her character very well even though she isn't in them as a living person. I think these Janeway fans would appreciate the books if they allowed themselves to read them.
Yes, I have. And while yours is an interesting pop psychology theory it has nothing to do with the desire to read stories containing the Janeway character. Nice try though.
Kim, you are too kind here. "Interesting pop psychology theory"? This comment is much worse than that.

Actually, the poster has a pretty condescending attitude toward readers who miss Janeway. He wonders if we have ever experienced a personal loss in our lives. Really? Is he implying that we are too young, too inexperienced, or just too stupid to understand how people continue to influence others after their deaths?

He implies that we are unfamiliar with the stages of grief that Voyager’s crew has gone through. Does he think that we are too uneducated to be familiar with Kubler-Ross’s excellent work on the subject? Honestly, I much prefer to learn about it from her writing than some Trek novel, thank you very much.

He suggests that we should be satisfied with Janeway’s “influence” on her crew as an adequate substitute for her presence as a living, breathing character in the novel. That suggestion is beneath contempt.

Finally, he seems to think that the refusal to read these novels as some sort of judgment on the quality of the writing, which is hardly the case. I’ve enjoyed Beyer’s writing in the past, and I’m upset that once Voyager finally hires someone who understands the characters (and maybe even watched the series), she is handicapped because of a poor, even frivolous editorial decision to send Janeway off to the Q Continuum in a poorly-written TNG novel.

How refreshing it would be to have PB and their writers admit that the Janeway “death” in “Before Dishonor” was a big mistake instead of having to endure this woefully inadequate lecturing about life and death and the "meaning" of grief. How tiresome it is to get the PB party line over and over again, with a strong dose of condescension on the side. Instead of criticizing unhappy, loyal readers, instead of bemoaning their complaints, how about sympathizing with them for having been deprived of the chance to read novels that include Voyager’s most popular character, alive and well?

Last edited by AuntKate; July 3 2011 at 06:55 AM.
AuntKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 06:54 AM   #186
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Hmm... last I checked, 7 of 9's still being written about...
Old July 3 2011, 07:17 AM   #187
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Aswell as The Doctor.

Anyway, enough of this Janeway nonsense. I demand to know when PB is bringing back Keiran Duffy!?! I refuse to buy any of the latest Corps of Engineers products until this occurs.
Old July 3 2011, 05:07 PM   #188
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

bok2384 wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Aswell as The Doctor.

Anyway, enough of this Janeway nonsense. I demand to know when PB is bringing back Keiran Duffy!?! I refuse to buy any of the latest Corps of Engineers products until this occurs.
LOL! I miss CoE.

I, for one, have enjoyed 7 of 9's story arc since Full Circle. Kirsten writes her (and the other tv characters) spot on. I loved The Doctor's scenes with Tom, B'Elanna, and Miral in this book and hope to see more of the same.

I also hope we see a story in the future featuring the USS Galen. I've always wanted a medical mini-series somewhat along the lines of CoE. Perhaps the opportunity for that is in the DQ.

I have to add Commander O'Donnell to my list of favorite new characters along with Afsarah Eden (can't wait to have her story unfold) and Hugh Cambridge (loved his appearance in the holodeck with Tom and Harry!)

Have any of you seen this?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...oyagerRelaunch
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 09:11 PM   #189
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Like Commander O'Donnell of the Demeter. He was a really cool character. The hallucinations were a bit much, but aside from that I really liked his gentle quirkiness, and the surprising effectiveness he revealed in spite of everyone's expectations.
He reminded me a bit Dr. Rush from "Stargate: Universe".

All in all, I really enjoyed O'Donnell, and I hope we get to see more of him soon. On the one hand, I realize that might not be likely, since there are eight ships to cover and he's not in the one that's going to be in every book, but on the other hand, his actions in the book did create a loss in the fleet that can be resolved on-screen as well as off.

I thought the thread with Drafar was resolved a little abruptly, but I suppose it was more about showing B'Elanna's parenting than his cultural conditioning.
Old July 3 2011, 11:19 PM   #190
scnj
Captain

Parenthood was, unsurprisingly, a prominent theme throughout the whole book.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 12:06 PM   #191
Freman
Fleet Captain

Soooo....when's the next VOY book coming out? I wants more, dammit!!
Old July 8 2011, 03:59 PM   #192
JD
Admiral

I think we still have some open spots next year.
Old July 8 2011, 05:28 PM   #193
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

scnj wrote: View Post
Parenthood was, unsurprisingly, a prominent theme throughout the whole book.
I think Beyer captured the emotion of parenthood as only a parent can. She captured many of my emotions in those scenes. And as VOY was about family and Janeway was very maternal to her crew, this feeling is very much what makes VOY unique. Beyer has a solid grasp of this concept.
Old July 9 2011, 12:32 AM   #194
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Just finished it. Excellent stuff as always, Kirsten! I didn't like it quite as much as Full Circle or Unworthy, but it was still very enjoyable. I think the difference is that there wasn't as much focus on the core Voyager people. After the nice development and deepening they received in the prior books that was a bit of a letdown. That's basically my only gripe though. The stuff with O'Donnell and Eden almost makes up for it.

Speaking of Eden, surely it's almost time to pull the trigger on that juicy story, right?

Freman wrote: View Post
Soooo....when's the next VOY book coming out? I wants more, dammit!!
This. Get crackin'.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2011, 01:46 PM   #195
AuntKate
Commodore

^^But don't leave out the most important factor in BD--Janeway's visit with the Q. She's bored and causing trouble, constantly whining about the minor bipedal species she left behind.