Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 24 2011, 11:43 PM   #1
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Odo can be... knocked unconscious??

I happened to watch "The Assignment" recently. And at one point, Miles punches Odo in the head, knocking him out.

Odo is a changeling. His brain is... probably distributed throughout his body, not concentrated solely in the human head that he replicates, right? And so if that's the case, his being knocked on the head shouldn't have done anything to him. What's the rationale on this? Or is it just another one of those glaring inconsistencies in the Star Trek universe?
Old June 25 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Odo can be... knocked unconscious??

Well, the good news is that I believe this is during Odo's "trapped as a solid" arc and therefore he was frozen into humanoid form. So it makes sense this time. The bad news is that there are a couple of episodes from earlier in the series where he gets knocked out or knocked down, like by falling rock in "Vortex". That always puzzled me - shouldn't he, at worst, just lose his form and "go goo"? Unless somehow he gets "locked" temporarily when he takes a sudden shock?
Old June 25 2011, 12:36 AM   #3
Yevetha
Commodore

Maybe if he does not expect to be hit he cannot dodge.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 12:37 AM   #4
TheLobes
Commander

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
The bad news is that there are a couple of episodes from earlier in the series where he gets knocked out or knocked down, like by falling rock in "Vortex". That always puzzled me - shouldn't he, at worst, just lose his form and "go goo"? Unless somehow he gets "locked" temporarily when he takes a sudden shock?
I always imagined it was more to do with reflexes. Odo doesnt have infinite reflexes, if someone shoots a phaser at him (like at his mirror universe double) he surely must need time to process this and shift, its still a mostly voluntary procedure. When a rock falls, it just depends on reflexes whether someone avoids it, either by moving or changing. Its just like our movement, it always depends a bit on the mind.

Plus Odo is pretty young by changeling standards, its obvious from his interactions with that changeling from season seven that hes still got a lot to learn.
TheLobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 03:25 AM   #5
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Yeah, in 'The Assignment', Odo was still human, so it makes sense that he could get sucker punched.
Old June 25 2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Timo
Admiral

there are a couple of episodes from earlier in the series where he gets knocked out or knocked down, like by falling rock in "Vortex".
A couple, or just this one?

I mean, it would make eminent sense for Odo to fake being knocked out in that particular episode. The villain Croden had led him through a series of wild goose chases, telling a string of lies. Now he had come up with the ultimate whopper: that he was a decent guy after all, only lying to Odo because he needed the Changeling's help in saving what was left of his family.

What better way to put that decency to test than to fake injury in a situation where Odo really couldn't be injured, or endangered much by faking an injury? If Croden came back for him, his story might hold a kernel of truth after all. If he didn't, Odo could always transform into something that sped past Croden and waited for him at the runabout...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 12:07 AM   #7
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

I like to think that the toh-maire gas in "Vortex" was the Changeling equivalent of kryptonite and hindered Odo's shapeshifting abilities.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
there are a couple of episodes from earlier in the series where he gets knocked out or knocked down, like by falling rock in "Vortex".
A couple, or just this one?

I mean, it would make eminent sense for Odo to fake being knocked out in that particular episode. The villain Croden had led him through a series of wild goose chases, telling a string of lies. Now he had come up with the ultimate whopper: that he was a decent guy after all, only lying to Odo because he needed the Changeling's help in saving what was left of his family.

What better way to put that decency to test than to fake injury in a situation where Odo really couldn't be injured, or endangered much by faking an injury? If Croden came back for him, his story might hold a kernel of truth after all. If he didn't, Odo could always transform into something that sped past Croden and waited for him at the runabout...

Timo Saloniemi
I like the way you think here, Timo.
Old June 27 2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I can appreciate Odo faking unconsciousness, in the right circumstances. But it looks like there have been a few where it doesn't really make sense. Even "locked in human form", it's just the form. I highly doubt he imitates a human brain and all of the human internal organs, his body functioning exactly like a human being. It's just his external appearance, right?
Old June 28 2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

Umm, no. Odo himself apparently can't do human internal organs, or doesn't bother to. But when the Link forced him into humanoid shape, they did give him humanoid internal organs. We see this because Odo subsequently e.g. becomes hungry amd begins to eat food...

He probably got all the uncomfortable bits, including a skull that can be fractured, a brain that can rattle inside the braincase, and a large number of places that can develop an itch. After all, it was supposed to be punishment for him.

Timo Saloniemi
Old June 28 2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Infern0
Captain

He was in solid form at the time which i assume is humanoid, and O'Brian is known to have a good dig on him.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 03:38 PM   #12
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Yep, when Odo was locked in human form, he had all the downsides - blood (a blood type, even!), hunger pains, back aches, alcohalism, and even had to poo.

So, when O'Brien clocked him, it makes sense that he was knocked the fuck out.
Old July 4 2011, 04:45 AM   #13
MrBorg
Lieutenant Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I can appreciate Odo faking unconsciousness, in the right circumstances. But it looks like there have been a few where it doesn't really make sense. Even "locked in human form", it's just the form. I highly doubt he imitates a human brain and all of the human internal organs, his body functioning exactly like a human being. It's just his external appearance, right?
I take it you've never seen "Broken Link"?

Old July 4 2011, 08:27 PM   #14
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

^ When DS9 arrives on Netflix in October, I want you to watch "The Begotten" first!
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

...and ponder whether the baby Changeling randomly ended up on Odo's lap, or whether it was deliberately delivered there by the Great Link as a form of a test to see whether Odo could be paroled.

I mean, it's unthinkable that Quark would just give up something like that for free! Somebody must have paid him good money to get him to "donate" the Chagelinglet to Odo.

Timo Saloniemi