New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 26 2011, 04:40 PM   #631
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I don't think that Bryan Singer would invalidate his own two movies in an attempt to reboot the franchise. "X3" sure because he didn't direct that film and probably the reason why he chose to ignore elements from that movie.
He chose to ignore elements from all the previous films. First Class is a reboot, according to the director. Also, according to Singer's public statements, he approved of Ratner's work on X3. The prerelease assumption that First Class would only ignore X3 has not been borne out. The unlikely workarounds proposed to make FC fit the other films don't fit with the intent of FC.
Old June 26 2011, 05:03 PM   #632
JD
Admiral

So if they do an X4, which movies do you think it will incorporate into it's backstory? I'm thinking the first 2 and FC would be the most likely, since they're the ones Singer was involved with. Either that or the first 3 and FC, I don't really foresee XO: Wolverine playing much of a role.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 07:40 PM   #633
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
He chose to ignore elements from all the previous films. First Class is a reboot, according to the director.
Uhm, not quite true. FC had an almost identical opening scene as the first X-men movie, had cameos by Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Romijn Stamos, and I remember reading a quote from Matthew Vaughn saying that it most definitely IS a prequel, even though it has some elements of a reboot.

Richard Roeper called it a "pre-boot".

Also, according to Singer's public statements, he approved of Ratner's work on X3. The prerelease assumption that First Class would only ignore X3 has not been borne out. The unlikely workarounds proposed to make FC fit the other films don't fit with the intent of FC.
Matthew Vaughn is, on the other hand, continuously taking jabs at Brett Ratner, trashing X3 on every given occasion.

Not cool, if you ask me. Ratner made some good films back in the day ("Red dragon" is IMO waaay out of Vaughn's league, even though I still prefer "Manhunter").
Old June 27 2011, 05:19 PM   #634
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

These are the quotes I've seen:
Vaughn wrote:
And when Fox rang up saying are you interested in doing it, I had unfinished business after not doing X3 and I was actually more excited because for X3 I would have really had to follow the lead of X1 and X2 and the characters were mainly cast. I knew with X-Men First Class I could start fresh, get a new piece of canvas and paint what I wanted.
Vaughn wrote:
My main goal was to make as good a film that could stand on its own two feet regardless of all the other films. However I thought anything that worked in all the other movies, and I could have some fun with nodding towards, I would. But my main rule was, ‘You know what, we’re trying to reboot and start a whole new X-Men franchise’ and therefore, making a film work on its own two feet was far more important than trying to be referential to the prior movies.
There is, however, a leading question from the interviewer about hypothetical movies "between" FC and X1, a notion which Vaughn declines to contradict.

Last edited by Set Harth; June 27 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 10:05 PM   #635
Pauln6
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
So if they do an X4, which movies do you think it will incorporate into it's backstory? I'm thinking the first 2 and FC would be the most likely, since they're the ones Singer was involved with. Either that or the first 3 and FC, I don't really foresee XO: Wolverine playing much of a role.
I think the general rule will be that they wont reference each other at all and will avoid using the same characters. The trickiest thing will be Moira - if Xavier is 'reborn' on Muir Island and they want to build on that then Moira needs to be older than she was in X3 unless they come up with some throwaway line about her looking fantastic for her age... Maybe Beast tried to use a variant on the 'cure' he came up with when Moira was pregnant with Proteus and now she ages slower. Whether she should be dating Banshee is another matter - he's no more than 10 years younger than her.

Personally, I want X4 to be about the Marauders Massacre without Professor X but then I want a second trilogy. I think it would be quite doable to make X5 at least partially on Muir Island with the injured characters from X4. Mixing in Shadowcat's limminent death with the mystery of Proteus with a similar tone to X1 might be fun.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 10:15 PM   #636
T'Baio
Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Ratner made some good films back in the day ("Red dragon" is IMO waaay out of Vaughn's league, even though I still prefer "Manhunter").
Vaughan is way out of Red Dragon's league, actually. Red Dragon is such a perfect example of pedestrian, by-the-book, beginner filmmaking 101 that it's almost laughable.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 10:45 PM   #637
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Red Dragon is such a perfect example of pedestrian, by-the-book, beginner filmmaking 101 that it's almost laughable.
I refuse to watch it, mainly because I'm a Manhunter fanatic and I see remaking the film as a kind of blasphemy. As the saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Old June 27 2011, 10:50 PM   #638
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Ratner made some good films back in the day ("Red dragon" is IMO waaay out of Vaughn's league, even though I still prefer "Manhunter").
Vaughan is way out of Red Dragon's league, actually. Red Dragon is such a perfect example of pedestrian, by-the-book, beginner filmmaking 101 that it's almost laughable.
When you want to someone to blandly direct your movie, you call Ratner.
Old June 27 2011, 11:19 PM   #639
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

He's a hack! But I actually kind of liked The Weather Man.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2011, 11:22 PM   #640
T'Baio
Admiral

Red Dragon is such a perfect example of pedestrian, by-the-book, beginner filmmaking 101 that it's almost laughable.
I refuse to watch it, mainly because I'm a Manhunter fanatic and I see remaking the film as a kind of blasphemy. As the saying goes, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Manhunter and Red Dragon are great examples of "what to do/what not to do" in terms of creative filmmaking.

Remember in Manhunter, the great scene where Dolarhyde takes Reba (who is blind) to the veterinarian/zoo, and he places her hand on the tiger? In the scene, you didn't see the tiger until Reba touches it?

In Red Dragon, Ratner cuts into a wide shot of the room, tiger and all, before you even know the reason they're there.

Like...seriously.
On Facebook
Old June 27 2011, 11:44 PM   #641
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure Gore Verboski or whatever his name kis directed that.
Old June 27 2011, 11:59 PM   #642
Mike Farley
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
We'd need to include a sacrificial lamb to replace Darwin, though (unless we just stick with Darwin). Any ideas there?
Wolverine?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 12:00 AM   #643
Dream
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure Gore Verboski or whatever his name kis directed that.
Yeah, it was Gore Verbinski. Verbinski also directed Mousehunt, The Ring, The Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, and Rango. Also he directed the awesome Budweiser frog commercials!
Old June 28 2011, 12:36 AM   #644
T'Baio
Admiral

ObiWanShinobi is probably thinking of "The Family Man."
On Facebook
Old June 28 2011, 02:02 AM   #645
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Haha, my mistake it was The Family Man. Both of them had Nicholas Cage.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote