Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25 2011, 10:18 AM   #616
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Yeah. It might be smarter to release The Wolverine in 2013 and (presumably) a follow-up to First Class in 2014. But Fox has a tendency to rush their X-films.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 12:57 PM   #617
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't rule out a "X4" either in either 2013 or 14, especially if Fox can get Singer aboard as director. It's pretty clear that he does want to direct a future film at some point.

How is Fox being "arrogant" with wanting to release "The Wolverine" next year? It doesn't have a slot yet to my knowledge. It could merely be a case of the studio being confident of the script, director, and star. The last one was a critical disaster but the McQuarrie script has had rave things said about it. The same could be said for those other studios having their big movies set for release in one of the potentially BIGGEST blockbuster movie years of all time. I don't think it's "arrogance" at all and believe me I'm not a Fox supporter or anything.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; June 25 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 04:36 PM   #618
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
It could merely be a case of the studio being confident of the script, director, and star.
There's a very fine line between confidence and arrogance, I think. But considering how popular High Jackman's Wolverine used to be (it literally made his career), Fox really shouldn't have a problem selling it (with the right marketing, and some positive word of mouth once the film is out, provided that it really is as good as we hope it'll be).

But as you said, 2012 is potentially one of the BIGGEST blockbuster movie years of all time, and not everyone will come out a winner. Some of these movies are sure to under perform due the stiff competition, and my guess is it sure as hell won't be Batman, Bond, Twilight and especially not The Hobbit. Superman, on the other hand, could end up being a major disaster if they screw it up (but I'm cautiously optimistic about it).
Old June 26 2011, 03:04 AM   #619
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Well if the world ends in 2012 we might not see all those movies!

I'm not sure what to think here. If Wolverine won't stand a chance in a packed year, how would a First Class sequel? Yet, considering the successful but considered soft box office of this one, you might think they'd rush the next one here before folks forget about it amid all the other comic book movies. Then again, if Wolverine does less than First Class, then they would in hindsight know they should have gone with 'Second Class'.

Who the heck knows? Fassbender so far is now out of the Trance film and McAvoy is in. However after the Jim Jarmusch vampire film, MF isn't signed on for anything else. Is he keeping his schedule clear for a reason after signing onto something like 6 projects in rapid succession? We know they are all contracted for 2 more films. Wonder if they would shoot them back to back?

And ugh, sidenote, I saw an MTV interview with Zoe joking there would be an Angel solo movie. <roll> Besides, what in the heck would you call a First Class sequel? Has anyone come up with anything good? See, this is why it is easier to focus elsewhere and call it Brotherhood of Mutants.

I need to find time to see this again! Times are getting really reduced now. How long will it even be in theaters?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 05:42 AM   #620
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

As I said the earliest we would get a First Class sequel is 2013 which is not packed yet and it would have room to breath in. There's no way we're getting as sequel next year. They'd have to green light now and basically start casting and production in the next couple of months. That's not going to happen.

People here having been using "X-Men Second Class" lol which is pathetic in my opinion. I'm betting a sequel title will be called something else entirely. Anyways still too early to talk about this in my opinion. All I know is that the franchise is not dead yet and to my knowledge there are no plans to reboot anything (except Deadpool).

Old June 26 2011, 06:15 AM   #621
Skywalker
Admiral

So, let's get hypothetical here. Imagine that First Class was, indeed, a complete reboot of the X-franchise, set in modern times rather than 1962. Same basic story (Xavier and Magneto becoming friends, the Hellfire Club threatening global destruction to usher in the ascendancy of mutantkind, etc.). What would have to be changed to make it fit in 2011?

The most obvious, of course, is the story of Magneto. This is one of the great things about keeping First Class a period piece, because tying his origin to the Nazis and Jews during World War II is absolutely perfect for his motivation. But since we need Erik to be a thirtysomething man in 2011, that obviously won't work. The closest modern-day analogy would probably be the ethnic cleansing carried out by the Serbs against the Bosnians in the early 1990s. They even used concentration camps. So perhaps Erik and his family could be Bosnians, and Sebastian Shaw could have been working with the Serbs. Fast forward to the present, and Erik is hunting down Serbian war criminals in an effort to find Shaw. It works, but it's not as good as the Nazi storyline, IMO.

The other big change would be the setting of the ultimate showdown. We obviously can't use the Cuban Missile Crisis, and since it's in modern times it's likely we'd have to make up some sort of situation into which Shaw manipulates the world powers.

Finally, the mutant lineup could be changed. By making FC a reboot, we could use the actual first class--meaning Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast, Angel (the real one), and Iceman. It'd make sense to include Storm, too, so that Jean isn't the only girl. Mystique would still be included, of course. We'd need to include a sacrificial lamb to replace Darwin, though (unless we just stick with Darwin). Any ideas there?
Old June 26 2011, 06:53 AM   #622
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I was thinking that as great as X-Men: FC was, it would have been even better if it'd had the original five (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast, and Angel). I realize they couldn't go that route because it was a prequel. But that would've just been awesome. Pure icing on the cake. And with more familiar characters, I think the movie may have been more successful as well.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 07:05 AM   #623
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I don't think that Bryan Singer would invalidate his own two movies in an attempt to reboot the franchise. "X3" sure because he didn't direct that film and probably the reason why he chose to ignore elements from that movie. There's no reason that First Class has to be a complete reboot, hypothetically or not. I don't get why you would need to change anything to make it fit "2011".

Last edited by Admiral_Young; June 26 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old June 26 2011, 07:14 AM   #624
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't think that Bryan Singer would invalidate his own two movies in an attempt to reboot the franchise. "X3" sure because he didn't direct that film and probably the reason why he chose to ignore elements in that thread. There's no reason that First Class has to be a complete reboot, hypothetically or not. I don't get why you would need to change anything to make it fit "2011".
Nothing needs to be changed (as I said in my post). It's just for fun.
Old June 26 2011, 07:20 AM   #625
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Fair enough. I'm just cranky tonight I'd find it more fun to discuss a plot that doesn't have to "reboot" or "invalidate" anything already established myself. I think a second movie should juxtapose Xavier recruiting more X-Men and Magneto recruiting mutants for his Brotherhood. Once again focusing on their relationship but this time the start of them being enemies.

Old June 26 2011, 07:25 AM   #626
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I didn't want to see a young of the original crew, Jean Grey, etc, here because I like the first two films. I thought First Class would be even more Xavier and Erik than it was, and in hindsight that is my one problem with the film- they shouldn't have bothered with the lesser mutants here. What ever sequels come about, I hope they drop some of the wasted or useless people from this one.

My poor Admiral. I'm tormenting again already! :P 2013 makes a lot of sense. If they begin all the pre stages early next year and you know, take their time until Summer 2013, that fits in the scheduling. I would much rather have this sequel than Deadpool.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 07:28 AM   #627
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I'm already anticipating the sequel thread with you my dear. Personally I could care less about "Deadpool" now that the leaked script has been rewritten. I do care about "The Wolverine" and I really want Singer back for "X4".

Old June 26 2011, 07:39 AM   #628
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Fair enough. I'm just cranky tonight I'd find it more fun to discuss a plot that doesn't have to "reboot" or "invalidate" anything already established myself. I think a second movie should juxtapose Xavier recruiting more X-Men and Magneto recruiting mutants for his Brotherhood. Once again focusing on their relationship but this time the start of them being enemies.
But they're not really enemies yet, are they? More estranged ex-friends. Besides, even at the start of X1, Wheels and Mags are able to have a reasonably friendly talk.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 08:31 AM   #629
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Mag Wheels.

God help us all.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2011, 08:42 AM   #630
Skywalker
Admiral