Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 25 2011, 06:30 AM   #301
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Precisely. And if Parallax actually has the power for FTL travel, which by itself is kinda preposterous, he should have been able to devour the entire population of Earth in less than a second...etc, etc.
And which part of this is less plausible and less logical than what happens every month in the comics?

None of it. Not one bit.

If Green Lantern can't be a successful movie, then it can't - but this movie was observant and faithful to the spirit and most of the details of the Green Lantern comic. Maybe they need to make it something else to succeed on the big screen. Maybe they need to cast Keanu Reeves as Kyle Rayner or something, or Woody Harrellson as Guy Gardner blowing everything the fuck up.

I liked this one. I'm going to see it in 3D again tomorrow evening.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 07:22 AM   #302
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
The Asteroid Belt ISN"T between the Earth and the Sun.
?!?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new movie that's less science-friendly than The Core!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 07:28 AM   #303
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Professor Zoom...I wouldn't call "Green Lantern" "X3" awful...it has it's flaws, most of which you mentioned in your post but I would see and have seen "Green Lantern" multiple times. "X3" I've seen twice and refuse to watch again.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 07:28 AM   #304
Dream
Admiral

Anyone else they will replace Hal with John Stewart as the GL for the Justice League, if that movie ever gets made?
Old June 25 2011, 07:31 AM   #305
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
Woody Harrelson as Guy Gardner blowing everything the fuck up.
Nah, if they have Guy in a sequel, I'm thinking Christopher Meloni.

If Elliot Stabler were a GL, he'd be Guy.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 09:10 AM   #306
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What about Damien Lewis from Life?

Quite the talented ginger.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 01:28 PM   #307
Jax
Admiral

The movie is set to drop by 70% in its 2nd weekend and with oversea $$$ still to get going, GL better use that ring to conjuer up some fans . Its North America gross will be around $91 million so at this rate it might only make $130ish at best so the worldwide total is now very important.

The budget was always too high IMO for an unknown comic book hero to the mainstream public.
Old June 25 2011, 02:11 PM   #308
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No, Deadline estimates closer to 60% for the weekend - the Friday drop was just over 70%. Not great - FC dropped 56% in the second week; Thor less than 50%. GL held up well during the week, so that helps.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 05:06 PM   #309
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Makes all the sense in the world, for Sinestro.
(I'm stealing from a reviewer)

Not the Sinestro as we see him in this film. He's the best character in a goodness sense. Internal logic doesn't support him donning the ring. Some hints needed to be dropped about a character flaw, or even showing him feeling seduced by it a la Bilbo.

IIRC, you just see him putting it on. Why? So he can become evil for the sequel, is all. I liked the move in general for its not-so-pretentiousness, but the Sinestro-ring thing did need a touch of characte develpment to explain it, IMO.
Old June 25 2011, 05:22 PM   #310
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Unless the Sinestro putting the ring on scene is like, two-thirds into the sequel.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 05:36 PM   #311
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Precisely. And if Parallax actually has the power for FTL travel, which by itself is kinda preposterous, he should have been able to devour the entire population of Earth in less than a second...etc, etc.
And which part of this is less plausible and less logical than what happens every month in the comics?

None of it. Not one bit.
Yeah... it happens in EVERY comic EVERY month?

I'm sorry, Dennis, but, come on, not EVERY comic is this stupid. Sure, there are stupid comics with shallow characterization, and if you want to compare this movie to shallow poorly comics, fine. But there ARE good comics out there, like there are GOOD comic book movies.

If Green Lantern can't be a successful movie, then it can't - but this movie was observant and faithful to the spirit and most of the details of the Green Lantern comic.

And I agree with that actually. The details of the corps, etc, were accurate. But, movie making isn't just about getting facts right--well, except where the asteroid belt is--it's about character and story telling.

Maybe they need to make it something else to succeed on the big screen. Maybe they need to cast Keanu Reeves as Kyle Rayner or something, or Woody Harrellson as Guy Gardner blowing everything the fuck up.
Ryan Reynolds isn't to blame. The script (which seems to have had a lot of hands) and the direction are to blame. They didn't need to change casts, but change directors.

I liked this one. I'm going to see it in 3D again tomorrow evening.
I'm glad. I'm going to go see Super 8.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@Professor Zoom...I wouldn't call "Green Lantern" "X3" awful...it has it's flaws, most of which you mentioned in your post but I would see and have seen "Green Lantern" multiple times. "X3" I've seen twice and refuse to watch again.
You might not. But, I would. I can't believe you saw X3 TWICE? Once wasn't punishment enough?! It took you TWO TIMES to refuse to watch it again? I don't get that.

And, yeah, I do think Green Lantern is worse. X3's biggest crime was character assassination. (And Wolverine deciding to fly, or bike back across the US to warn the X-men, rather than... I don't know, making a phone call.)

Green Lantern was just idiotic. They took all the beats of every other action/comic book movie (and not even the good beats) and put them into Green Lantern. For god's sake, they even had that moment where the Hero just barely saves a civilian who has to be told to RUN! Really? REALLY? A giant CGI cloud is approaching you and you STILL need to be told to RUN?
Old June 25 2011, 05:54 PM   #312
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

No, Deadline estimates closer to 60% for the weekend - the Friday drop was just over 70%. Not great - FC dropped 56% in the second week; Thor less than 50%. GL held up well during the week, so that helps.
Deadlines early estimates, which typically tend to be on the high side, show a 63% drop. The way GL has been going it's going to be more like 64-65%. So you saying it's closer to 60 is as accurate as me saying it's closer to 65%, which I'd be it's going to be. Thus putting it in league with Ang Lee's Hulk and Jonah Hex aka bad company.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 07:15 PM   #313
T'Baio
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I hate to say it, but Green Lantern is just as bad and stupid as X3.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 07:51 PM   #314
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

Saw this for the second time yesterday. While it's far from perfect, I came away feeling better about the movie than I did after the first. The look is great, the CGI uniform works well on screen and in motion. The casting and performances are fine. Gave it a B- in the poll, largely because of the screenplay. It hits the notes of the Green Lantern origin as filtered through Emerald Dawn and Secret Origin, but feels more like an uninspired cover of that song rather than the stronger original.
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 11:11 PM   #315
UssGlenn
Captain

In addition to the misplacement of the asteroid belt, it was also the super dense kind. Of course dense asteroid belts are a staple in fiction, still annoying though. This one seemed particularly narrow and dense however.