RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,725
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 877
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Web Sites/Design

Web Sites/Design Talk about your websites here!

Old June 25 2011, 04:49 AM   #16
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: Ron Thornton Interview

Reverend wrote: View Post
[edit] looking at the disc now, I think there might be a couple of ITF related images on here (in ye'olde .pct format.) One is what looks like a title screen with the B5 brand logo over some starfury that look way to low poly to be the FI/Netter Digital assets. There's also a rendering of the station that looks to be of a similarly lesser quality (but bloody fantasitc for a game engine circa 1998.)
I'm pretty sure those are actually fan models of the time. The Starfury has the splayed, too-wide wingspan of Mark Kane's first model of it, and the station looks like Dean Scott's from the too-tall solar panels and the fact that the cobra bays aren't at a 45° offset from the docking bay. The "trailer" that was all TV shots also had one original shot at the very beginning with what looks likes Mark's 'fury.

I'll say this about the early days of fan-made CGI- the lack of good reference (you couldn't get good screencaps like you can from a DVD or an HD video file, and forget orthographic renders of the show model) meant the models all had their own distinct quirks that makes them distinguishable.

In addition to the game's main title that was on that CD, there were about a dozen tracks leaked/released (who can remember after so long?) of in-game music. There were two batches, six that were 3-4 minutes long each, and five that were all about eleven minutes long. You could hear how the different music snippets blended together into a cohesive whole, especially if you had both batches, since the long ones had some of the same snippets as the shorter ones, but in a different order.

The fact that I'm commenting on this page on three different forums now is starting to freak me out.
Old June 25 2011, 11:54 AM   #17
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Not that I doubt it or anything but it seems a little odd that they'd use fanmade assets like that, especially since they reportedly had access to the show's actual lightwave meshes.

While I seriously doubt an old backed up copy of the game will ever surface (though I live in hope) I can't help but wonder what happened to all the live action raw footage they shot for the FMVs. It can't have all been handed over to Sierra could it? Surely WB and/or Babylonian Productions had a copy?

Triple-F wrote: View Post
Typical. Starring me right in the face and can’t see it for looking at it. Changed it now. Cheers.

Don’t know if you’ve ever seen this, but it holds old AOL transcripts (first mention of NASA and Starfury) and some very early and short vids. Some dead or not built links though.

http://www.babylon5fans.com/drazixmas.html
I hadn't see that one before, no. I doubt it's still there but until at least a few years ago the Sci-fi Channel's website still had the old page left over from LotR. Aside from the usual blurbs and publicity shots it had little meta-story video clips of the crew members being interviewed by ISN. This was WAY before webisodes became relatively commonplace.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

David cgc wrote: View Post
The fact that I'm commenting on this page on three different forums now is starting to freak me out.
Oh I know that feeling : )
Triple-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 04:39 PM   #19
David cgc
Vice Admiral

^Not that I doubt it or anything but it seems a little odd that they'd use fanmade assets like that, especially since they reportedly had access to the show's actual lightwave meshes.
I can only assume that the Guide to B5 was produced really early in the development cycle. The trailer lists a release date of Q4 1998, but the most recent release date before the cancellation was a year and a half later than that. There was so little game-related content, my guess is what little there was came from before Netter had sent the original models on to them.

Oh, Triple-F, where exactly is the downloads section on your site where you can find the originals of the ITF drawings?
Old June 25 2011, 08:12 PM   #20
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

Not added it yet (so adding that to the screens wasn't overly bright), though it’s something I’m working on when time allows. Should be up in about a week or so. Though you can get a copy of those sketches over here

http://www.firstones.com/wiki/ITF_ship_sketches

(some browsers seem to have difficulty seeing the images, at least me IE does but Opera works fine!!!)
Old June 26 2011, 06:13 AM   #21
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Triple-F wrote: View Post
Not added it yet (so adding that to the screens wasn't overly bright), though it’s something I’m working on when time allows. Should be up in about a week or so. Though you can get a copy of those sketches over here

http://www.firstones.com/wiki/ITF_ship_sketches

(some browsers seem to have difficulty seeing the images, at least me IE does but Opera works fine!!!)
The "Minbari Orbital Platform" kinda has a DS9 look to it.
Old June 26 2011, 01:51 PM   #22
Reverend
Rear Admiral

While it wouldn't surprise me if that was somewhat intentional, to be fair it's a pretty logical extrapolation from the pre-Valen starbase glimpsed at in 'War Without End'. Plus of course DS9's design itself is clearly influenced by the old theoretical spinning wheel concept designs that date back to the early 1900s (though the one in 2001: A Space Odyssey is probably the most well known.)

So there's a good chance it's just a case of a mutual influence rather than a direct one.
Old June 29 2011, 01:16 AM   #23
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Triple-F, I love your website, and I enjoyed reading this latest interview. Thanks!
Old June 30 2011, 01:42 AM   #24
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

Cheers, it's turned out to be something I keep stopping but find something to add after 3 months.

Last edited by Triple-F; June 30 2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old June 30 2011, 01:01 PM   #25
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Welcome to my world!

You should definitely keep it up though, there isn't another resource like it on the net.
Old June 30 2011, 06:56 PM   #26
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

You should definitely keep it up though, there isn't another resource like it on the net.
I agree. It's nice to have another perspective on the making of "Babylon 5" than just from JMS's point-of-view.
Old July 6 2011, 10:45 AM   #27
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

That’s the download screens added, not that there’s much in it, and most folks will already know where to get most of it.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm
It can be found under the “stuff” section.
Old July 6 2011, 11:51 AM   #28
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Wow, I've never seen that map of Minbar before. I think that's the closest to any kind of "official" map I've ever seen out of B5.

Just FYI though; it looks like that "B5 Craft Comparison Study" site is a dead link. Also, only the first page of your "rant" appears to be working. 2-20 are coming up 404.

Last edited by Reverend; July 6 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old July 6 2011, 12:06 PM   #29
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

Oh. Strange it was working about 10 minutes before I uploaded the pages. Just checked the whole site is down rather than just that screen. It’ will probably pop back up again soon enough.

Yeah, I was surprised Chris sent the Minbari texture map down that was used in LoTR and TLT, but he had no use for it. ; )

The rant. Ohhhhh (sigh). I’ve converted the first 7 or 8 pages over to the current format (it was written a while ago) – but it’s probably best to read the whole thing as they sort of link together – and depending on your viewpoint, it’s . . . . . . . well, it’s a rant. ; ) I’ve uploaded the first screens for it, the links and credits, more for place holders.

[edit]
That’s the meshweaver site back up.!!!?

BTW. If you do notice anything screwy like that let me know, I keep finding little errors all over the place.
Old July 10 2011, 05:55 PM   #30
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander

Credits page and links added – though again most folks will know more or less all of them I guess. But there’s a couple of lesser known ones, and dead ones, thrown in.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scro...m#Screen4_03_1

@ Reverend
I’ve uploaded the first 10 screens of the rant as well, so you can get a sense of where it’s heading (mainly up my own arse ; ). But I was venting and it’s just some personal opinions, and there’s a few more screens to convert over to the new format which may explain a few more things. ; )