Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 16 2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

JD wrote: View Post
Oh, that mention of John Stewart brings up something I else I wanted to ask. If there is one Green Lantern for every Sector why does Sector 2814 have 4 from the same planet (Earth)?
There are currently two GLs in each sector: that's Hal and John. Kyle and Guy are part of the "Honor Guard" which are senior Lanterns that assist wherever needed, regardless of sector.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 07:24 PM   #17
JD
Admiral

Ah cool. I didn't realize they'd up it to two.
Old June 16 2011, 10:43 PM   #18
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

I collect DC and Marvel trades, mostly Justice League of America, Teen Titans, and special series and crossovers like Infinite Crisis, 52, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night.
Old June 16 2011, 11:21 PM   #19
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Oh, that mention of John Stewart brings up something I else I wanted to ask. If there is one Green Lantern for every Sector why does Sector 2814 have 4 from the same planet (Earth)?
There are currently two GLs in each sector: that's Hal and John. Kyle and Guy are part of the "Honor Guard" which are senior Lanterns that assist wherever needed, regardless of sector.
Although the backstory is a bit more convoluted than that. When Abin Sur's ring selected Hal Jordan, it also selected Guy Gardner as equally worthy, but Gardner was further away from Abin Sur geographically. Gardner was Jordan's backup for a few years, until he was injured and unable to do the job. So the Guardians selected John Stewart as Hal's new backup. John Stewart then took over full time when Hal Jordan quit.

Years later, Jordan went nuts after the destruction of Coast City and attacked the GL Corps, so a Guardian picked Kyle Rayner, more or less at random. Kyle carried the torch until Hal came back from the dead and the new rules of 7600 Lanterns, 2 to a sector, were instated.
Old June 18 2011, 12:11 AM   #20
JD
Admiral

Ok, I have another question now. I was watching the special features for the Wonder Woman animated movie this morning (which I thought was an amazing film BTW), and during a montage of comic book I noticed what looked like Catwoman wearing a Green Lantern right, WTH was up with that?

I'm sorry about bugging you guys with all of these questions, I'm just really enjoying the comics and stuff, and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of the expierence.
Old June 18 2011, 12:53 AM   #21
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Green Lantern Catwoman? That seems like a pretty bizarre idea. Might've been something in Blackest Night? But I have no idea.

Wait, was she colored red? Because Soranik Natu actually looks a lot like Catwoman, except, you know, red.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 05:44 AM   #22
JD
Admiral

I looked at it twice, and it looked Selina Kyle (or at least someone in the Catwoman outfit) with a glowing green ring on her finger. I'm not saying I couldn't be mistaken, but that was what it looked like to me both times I looked at it.

I just remembered the other question I wanted to ask. Is the Supergirl in the current series the same Supergirl who was introduced in the Superman/Batman arc that was the basis for Superman/Batman: Apocalypse?

Last edited by JD; June 18 2011 at 06:10 AM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 06:13 AM   #23
Mr Light
Admiral

Yes, Kara Zor-El Supergirl, introduced in Superman / Batman, is the current Supergirl.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 06:11 AM   #24
JD
Admiral

I was just looking through the Super family stuff on Comixology, and the New Krypton arc(s) sound(s) pretty cool, is(are) it(they) worth reading?
Old June 19 2011, 12:51 PM   #25
Mr Light
Admiral

New Krypton was a pretty cool storyline, though unfortunately the art teams were generally weak on the books, and the ending was very rushed and a little anti-climactic. Also, Superman only stars in a little of the story, that might be a problem for you. And it was certainly story of big consequences.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2011, 04:26 PM   #26
JD
Admiral

Actually I'm curious to see more of the other lesser known characters, so I look forward to the Nightwing/Flamebird and Mon El stuff.
Old June 24 2011, 02:12 AM   #27
JD
Admiral

How important is Amazon's Attack to the DCU? It just saw that it was added to Comixology, and it does appear to be a part of the series that I plan on reading. But IGN called it one of the worst comic book events ever, so I only want to get it if it's something I must read to follow what comes before and after.
Old June 24 2011, 02:18 AM   #28
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Unimportant. It's generally considered pretty bad and ended the brief writing career of the guy who was FORCED to write it.

The important stuff is Geoff Johns GL books and Grant Morrison's Batman work.
Old June 24 2011, 02:40 AM   #29
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

How is Comixology, anyway? Is the viewing appratus for a desktop basically like CBRs (not that I know anything about those, but they're simple and great)? Or is something goofier?

I understand they sell print comics too. I noted particularly the $20 they were charging for Batgirl: Redemption, a six issue mini series. $3.33 per chapter in a paperback binding of a collected edition of a middlingly received book? Tempting.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 03:47 AM   #30
JD
Admiral

I find it pretty straight forward and easy to use. If you're looking into getting into digital comics, I would certainly recommend it.
EDIT: I forgot to tell you that if you want to use the reader you need to click on the Comixology logo on the home page. I don't think any of the buttons on top take you to it. I've decided to read Fables first arc instead of Superman Secret origins as my next read after BY1. Just out of curiosity, I see it's for is for Mature Readers, how much adult content is there in the series? I read the first issue and there was a fairly tame sex scene, is that the worst of it and it's spinoffs or does it get more explicit? It's not going to keep me from reading it or anything (True Blood is one of my favorite shows, and I watch alot of foreign and indie movies, so I'm not exactly easily offended), I just like to know what I'm getting myself into beforehand. Same question for Y: The Last Man, DMC and Witchblade and it's spinoffs.

Last edited by JD; June 24 2011 at 11:44 PM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote