Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 18 2011, 01:41 PM   #31
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Best Audio Book?

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Unless there's something wrong with your computer, after you install itunes, all the rest of your media players should figure out how to play m4b files.

Google and other naughty places will find you conversion programs for free.

Just listened to the last Eighth Doctor Adventure.

Nice run.
Ah, iTunes, OK, haven't gone there, a friend said I'd need iTunes for iPod, but, not for other MP3 Player. Thanks

McGann, I've listened to his first two and Shada. It was nice meeting Charlie Pollard, since her sister appears in an episode of Gallifrey Adventures, and without knowledge of Charlie, you totally miss that.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 03:28 PM   #32
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, I've got all 4 Series of Gallifrey and Shada, and Charlie's first Story. Tonight I plan on purchasing the download of Zagreus. I've looked briefly at the Wikipedia entry for Zagreus (Not too much, because I didn't want to be spoield much) and Zagreus seems to be pretty involved.

Will I have any troubles following Zagreus with what I've already listened too, or should I listen to something else first to better prepare myself?

Old June 23 2011, 03:52 PM   #33
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

If you're going to listen to the Charley stories anyway, I'd wait to listen to Zagreus until after Neverland, since it's a direct (if awful) sequel to that story.
Old June 23 2011, 04:00 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
If you're going to listen to the Charley stories anyway, I'd wait to listen to Zagreus until after Neverland, since it's a direct (if awful) sequel to that story.
Thanks. Are you saying Zagreus is an awful story, or just that it's not very good as a sequel to Neverland?

Old June 23 2011, 09:35 PM   #35
Joy
Commodore

I LOVED Neverland & Zagreus. Zagreus especially. And it leads into an incredibly fascinating story arc that brings us great stories like Scherzo and Natural History of Fear.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 11:34 PM   #36
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

A lot of people don't like Zagreus but I think this largely spurned by the fact it didn't meet particular expectations people had (i.e. lots of Doctor/Doctor/Doctor/Doctor interaction). Personally, I love the story for what it is and it's a satisfying (albeit not perfect) conclusion to the fantastic Neverland.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 12:21 AM   #37
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I didn't listen to the Charlie stories in order, in fact the first one I heard was the where 8 "lost" her.

An unavoidable mistake.

Stick to the viewing order, develop a relationship with the character.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 12:30 AM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I didn't listen to the Charlie stories in order, in fact the first one I heard was the where 8 "lost" her.

An unavoidable mistake.

Stick to the viewing order, develop a relationship with the character.
At the moment, I'm actually following Romana/Leela for the most part, which I kinda went into with a curiosity for McGann, especially his Shada (Plus the wonderful suggestions in the early part of the thread. Still have to get Spare Parts at some point), and that worked perfectly with the Gallifrey S1-4. I have a few other McGann's to need to listen to as well (Was distracted with Storm Warning listen).

I'm assuming there isn't many stories between Charlie's first (Storm Warning?) and these two, in series chronology?

EMH, yea thanks, I was very intrigued with the idea of so many prior actors voicing different characters, especially so many Doctors.

Edit: (A Couple hours later): OK, I looked at what I had and how fits and copied most onto disk (Zagreus didn't make it yet). I have the first three Paul McGann/Charley stories, Shada, Neverland and Zagreus + Gallifrey S1-4. I want to fit them into Gallifrey S1-S4, to introduce my mother to Dr. Who Audioplays (She doesn't like straight up Audiobooks).

So, I figure Shada (And maybe have her watch the Tom Baker Narrated Reconstruction VHS first, and maybe even the City of Death and The 5 Doctors to make the references complete?), then Neverland, then Zagreus, and then Gallifrey S1-4. We can work on the Unbound and the 8/Charley chronology next.

Last edited by Sindatur; June 24 2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old June 24 2011, 02:55 PM   #39
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
A lot of people don't like Zagreus but I think this largely spurned by the fact it didn't meet particular expectations people had (i.e. lots of Doctor/Doctor/Doctor/Doctor interaction). Personally, I love the story for what it is and it's a satisfying (albeit not perfect) conclusion to the fantastic Neverland.
I don't know about "A lot of people," but I hate Zagreus because it is four hours of bad dialogue and worse characterization.
Old June 24 2011, 08:02 PM   #40
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
I don't know about "A lot of people," but I hate Zagreus because it is four hours of bad dialogue and worse characterization.
I won't comment on the story. As with The Five Doctors, the story takes a back seat to everything else. It is an excuse to get as many living Doctors (and their companions) together, as possible. Plus one Doctor who is no longer living. And companions who hadn't even been introduced in the released stories, at that point (such as "c'rizz" or whatever his name is).

Unfortunately, as with the Five Doctors, we have to wait until nearly the end to get all the Doctors together. Still, we know going in that it's an anniversary fan-service story.

I'm happy with what we got. But then, I accept it for a typical multi-Doctor anniversary story.
Old June 24 2011, 10:46 PM   #41
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Its certainly not forgettable. I can remember the type of part every regular was playing. I first heard it on the train on the 40th Anniversary coming back from Paul McGann's signing for it in London! I suppose I'll always have a fondness for it for that.

Theres a few things I didn't like in the McGann stories at the time... that are nothing compared to what the TV series has done since it came back!
Old October 28 2011, 08:11 PM   #42
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, I had a chance to listen to Neverland and Zagreus, and loved them both. I had no problem whatsoever that the previous Doctors were playing other characters (though, really they're not). I really enjoyed Colin Baker's character, really gave me some sympathy for the Vampires in the ESpace Trilogy.

Then I listed to Gallifrey Series 1, and they went back to back really, really well. Neverland and Zagreus first brought an extra dimension for me to a couple things in Gallifrey Series 1 that I didn't really catch, when I listed to it at work the first time (Though, that was a fairly distracted listening). Currently listening to Gallifrey Series 2, disk 1.

So, according to Wikipedia, it seems Charley and the Doctor continue their adventures together in the Divergent Universe in a series of about 10 Audio Plays, starting with Sherzo, I'll have to get those some time (Probably get the rest of the Charley adventures prior to Neverland first, though)

Old October 29 2011, 02:31 AM   #43
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

I'm slowly working my way through the Divergent Universe stories, and for the most part, I'm really enjoying it. Scherzo and The Natural History of Fear are not only two of the best audio plays during that run, they're amongst the best overall. I've read a lot of complaints about the Divergent Universe, such as rules changing after the first story and the fact that it went on "forever," but thus far I don't agree with the complaints. I guess it helps that I haven't had to wait for each release in real time and instead going on my own pace.

Old October 29 2011, 05:14 AM   #44
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

The Natural History of Fear is genius. Blows my mind every time.

The main complaint I have with the Divergent Universe stories is that The Creed of the Kromon and The Twilight Kingdom are painfully awful Who-by-the-numbers.
Old October 29 2011, 05:44 AM   #45
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Hm, that's surprising. I know a lot of people don't like The Creed of the Kromon (I don't mind it so much, but it's certainly nothing special), but I quite liked The Twilight Kingdom. The only thing I didn't about it is that Charley and C'rizz didn't have anything to do.