Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 21 2011, 04:25 PM   #226
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Gaith wrote: View Post
I'm glad this is tanking
What a horrendous attitude
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 04:56 PM   #227
davejames
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
All the Green Lanterns in space stuff is the best movie ever. Most of the stuff on Earth was pretty dire.
I get the impression that was kind of an automatic deal-breaker for most fans here, that so mouch of the movie was set on Earth. But that didn't really bother me at all (and none of it felt especially "dire" to me either).

Obviously more space stuff would have been cool, but I also get just as big a kick from the traditional thing of the superhero running around saving the day on Earth. Especially in an introductory movie like this.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 05:06 PM   #228
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
DarKush wrote: View Post
Reynolds might be considered comic book movie box office poison if this movie is considered a failure. So far he's been in three comic book films and they all were considered critical disappointments and/or failures.
This might win the critics for Reynolds, but I wonder if it will get a wide release. I don't think I would watch it in the theater, but I would rent it or check out it from the library.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 05:14 PM   #229
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
The great and hilarious Topless Robot recounts the best scenes from Green Lantern.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/...rom_the_gr.php

That was hilarious!

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 05:43 PM   #230
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
The great and hilarious Topless Robot recounts the best scenes from Green Lantern.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/...rom_the_gr.php

That was hilarious!
Indeed, that was great.
Old June 21 2011, 05:59 PM   #231
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post
It was a big, loud, action movie with not great writng. Oops, that's redundant. C'mon, folks, it's spectacle, whaddya want?
Action movies can have great writing. They aren't mutually exclusive things.
Acknowledged, though they usually are. Exclusive, that is. Why I don't usually attend them.

Best writing/character dvpmt in an action flick I can readily recall is Spidey 1 and 2. But 'great' would be a stretch. But I admittedly miss a lot of them.

What's another out there that would be worth watching for the story/dialog? (I can always turn down the volume or skip the stupid fit scenes.)
Die Hard. Raiders of the Lost Ark. Those come to mind.
Old June 21 2011, 07:55 PM   #232
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I just saw the film...I thought it was pretty good. Nice setup for a sequel. Only problems I basically had were:

Actually they could do some minor tweaking, and have the sequel be a RED Lantern movie. Can you imagine what that'd be like? Who'd direct that, the Saw guy? Clive Barker? Wes Craven?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 08:19 PM   #233
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Why is it that I keep hearing people say that there was too much going on in this movie?!? Did I miss something? The movie suffered in part because there was too little going on with the plot.
Old June 21 2011, 08:27 PM   #234
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 08:42 PM   #235
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Not really a spoiler: Since Alan Scott's power derives from the Starheart, and AFAIK it's basically a coincidence that he was also called Green Lantern, I suppose it's no surprise he isn't in the film. Although I would have liked at least a shout-out... especially after they did this:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old June 21 2011, 08:46 PM   #236
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, they did that because they have plans...

You know, the first Spider-Man film tied Spidey's origin to Oscorp, and the first Batman movie had the Joker as the guy who killed Bruce's parents. There's a dramatically sensible tendency to more tightly integrate important aspects of the continuity when adapting a serial medium that grows by improvisation and accretion into a narrative that will run, at most, about two and a half hours - hence making the Guardians responsible for so much in the movie. Even in the comics Johns and others before him had already retconned Sinestro and other more recently created GL Corps members into Hal's origin story.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 10:00 PM   #237
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Regarding the Guardians, I hope they stay the hell away from the Manhunter stuff if the sequel ever gets made.
Old June 21 2011, 10:03 PM   #238
davejames
Vice Admiral

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Why is it that I keep hearing people say that there was too much going on in this movie?!? Did I miss something? The movie suffered in part because there was too little going on with the plot.
I think what people mean is that there's a lot of noise and activity and flashy CGI going on, but the actual story remains very simple and bare-bones.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 10:23 PM   #239
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I think what people mean is that there's a lot of noise and activity and flashy CGI going on, but the actual story remains very simple and bare-bones.
Gotcha.
Old June 21 2011, 10:43 PM   #240
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
I'm glad this is tanking
What a horrendous attitude
Oh, spare me the sanctimony. If anyone can easily afford to pay for their own artistic failures, the beneficiaries of the absurdly overly-lucrative Potter mediocrities can. No one's getting fired over this that can't afford it; the biggest losers here are the consumers.

David Brothers
'The Dark Knight' and plenty of others have all had scenes where the hero's love interest or lady friend gets in trouble and needs to be rescued... She isn't going to die.
Either Dennis just spoiled a big Bats 3 twist, or Brothers fails at being a smartass.

Dennis wrote: View Post
David Brothers
It would be nice, for once, to be able to point and go, "See? Look, our hero has learned something because he did _______," rather than watching someone explain how the hero always knew what he had to learn.
You mean like in Iron Man 2, where Tony's resigned himself to a gradual demise because he's too arrogant, blinkered and stubborn to reach out to anyone for help, until Nick Fury's intervention teaches him the value of cooperation, prompting him to aspire to join a group and cause larger than himself and his own private-demons fighting?

Oh, wait... I forgot: the Internets decided that the Fury scenes were pointless Avengers teasing. My bad.
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote