Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 19 2011, 09:56 PM   #1051
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
- Animals will be more persistent, only really spawning at the generation of a world.
I like the idea that we'll have to breed animals, but it sounds worrying for existing worlds. I hope I wont have to generate new chunks to find farm animals, especially since I live on an island so getting animals to my main base would be a nightmare.
Easy:

Old June 19 2011, 11:34 PM   #1052
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I don't even want to think of the logistics behind having to do that.
Old June 20 2011, 02:40 PM   #1053
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Any thoughts on having "ancient ruins" being rendered as a part of the base world, with matching artifacts that can be used to boost the abilities of certain tools? Would make for an interesting extra angle.
Old June 20 2011, 05:33 PM   #1054
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Iasius - Hey if they'd go ahead and give us linkable minecarts it could work.

137th - I've ben hoping for that feature for ages. Maybe throw in a few hidden monster spawners too to make it challenging.

Mojangs been very tight lipped about this update though. So could be anything.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 06:06 PM   #1055
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Any thoughts on having "ancient ruins" being rendered as a part of the base world, with matching artifacts that can be used to boost the abilities of certain tools? Would make for an interesting extra angle.
I'd love something like that, they could be like dungeons on the surface. They'd have to be rare though, there should be at least 5 minutes of walking between ruins.

I know that I said I was finished with SSP, but I decided to go back and build a rail line to my new Sky Needle, something I hadn't done as I didn't have enough gold. That meant I had to return to my mine shaft at Fort Jupiter which I've barely even used since the pre-Halloween update era. Back then, slimes were very rare so I never went up against one and only saw two in my world in all my time playing. That meant I had no slime-balls, which I'm going to need soon for sticky pistons.

So while I have been mining over the last few days, I kept my eye out for slimes in the branches. I saw 3 small ones, punched them and failed to get any slime-balls. (Pro-tip: Don't ever shout out "Give me your slime-balls!" in the middle of the night, it's easy to misinterpret.) But this afternoon I was walking down the main branch of my mine when I heard what sounded like a slime orgy. I looked down various branches to see where the sound was coming from, but it quickly stopped. I assumed that some slimes had drowned in an adjacent cave, or something like that. Then I looked down one of the branches and saw this:

17 slime balls sitting in a 1x3 tunnel. I've just gone from 0 slime balls in 9 months of playing to 17 miraculous slime-balls in time for the 1.7 update. The great Notch is clearly looking out for me.
Old June 21 2011, 01:23 AM   #1056
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I do hope 1.7 gives Slime spawns a boost though. I've actually yet to see one on the server. Even if I did though I wouldn't have the heart to kill them, I think they're kinda cute. Well, except for the really big ones.

* Fixed stupid typos*
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; June 21 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old June 21 2011, 02:21 AM   #1057
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Well That's frustrating. For some reason, my savegame won't show up in the load screen, and nothing I've done will do anything to fix that. The only back up I have of it was from a week or so ago, and that sends me back before I had finished the Nethercoaster, the massive obsidian pyramid or, worst of all, my massive treehouse. :/
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 03:12 AM   #1058
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Did you try renaming the file level.dat_old to level.dat? That worked for me once before (while also resetting several chunks near spawn and destroying half my house), but I'm not sure if it works with the new save structure.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I do home 1.7 gives Slimes spawn a boost though. I've actually yet to see one on the server. Even if I did though I wouldn't have the heart to kill them though. I think they're kinda neat. Well, except for the really big ones.
The small ones are kind of cute, you can easily forget that they're trying to kill you but lack the ability to do damage. Still, I need their balls for sticky pistons and if that means killing some cute green things then that's what I'll do.
Old June 21 2011, 03:45 AM   #1059
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

I tried renaming, yes, and then someone elsewhere wrote that I should try using MCEdit, which also would not load it. It appears both level files were corrupted somehow, I really don't know how yet. There was a few odd glitches earlier in the week, the game dumped me out and when I reloaded I had nothing in my inventory and I was at a new spawn point (in which I lost the rest of my maps).

I guess I'm just going to roll back and try some new things out, at least I get back my maps.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 08:58 AM   #1060
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Awww, that just sucks Hoser. My sympathies.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post

The small ones are kind of cute, you can easily forget that they're trying to kill you but lack the ability to do damage. Still, I need their balls for sticky pistons and if that means killing some cute green things then that's what I'll do.

Heh. Balls...
Old June 24 2011, 05:36 PM   #1061
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'd like to take this opportunity to say, "Holy crap!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiy4z...tailpage#t=85s
Old June 24 2011, 07:30 PM   #1062
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's impressive, but it's likely they used a tool to do it for them, and I know there are tools from looking around, and it would be more impressive if they actually placed the blocks themselves and gathered resources.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 07:39 PM   #1063
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's impressive, but it's likely they used a tool to do it for them, and I know there are tools from looking around, and it would be more impressive if they actually placed the blocks themselves and gathered resources.
For realsies. GO LEGIT OR GO HOME!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2011, 03:08 PM   #1064
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Notch released a new screenshot from 1.7 that appears to show magical flying. Also, there's some sort of weird curvature going on with the world.
Old June 26 2011, 02:44 AM   #1065
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Wow nice. But I hope its either temporary, or hard to come by though. Otherwise I'm going to rage after building all those minecart tracks.

So I wonder where are the players are hanging out currently? The official MC forum has been down the past 3-4 days.

Last edited by Cutter John; June 26 2011 at 04:37 AM.