New podcast devoted to Trek lit

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nick M, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Nick M

Nick M Lieutenant Red Shirt

The rabbit hole of hell that is my psyche
    Hi all,

I am very excited to announce a new podcast devoted to the world of Trek lit (and more) starting Sunday, June 19, 9 am EST. We already have some interviews scheduled with some about a half dozen very prominent Trek authors, and I sincerely hope to line up more in the future. If you get the chance, please tune in! I think you'll enjoy!

"G&T Press Release

Trek Lit and Sci-Fi Fans…Exciting News!

Cerberus Films, the studio responsible for the upcoming “Star Trek: Reunion,” proudly announced today a fun new way to begin your Sunday mornings. Start the day with a new internet TV broadcast — The G&T Show — going live at 9 a.m. EST (1400 GMT), Sunday, June 19, 2011, at http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms with a duo that will keep you entertained and wanting more. [Bios and schedule included at end of release.]

Each week, hear the latest Trek Lit and Sci-Fi news and hear interviews with Trek lit and comic book authors. If you are a fan of Star Trek, science fiction and discussions of events around our world, and beyond, tune in for this provocative, entertaining and seat-of-your-pants talk show.

For more information about The G&T show contact: film@cerberusfilms.co.uk and stay tuned to the twitter accounts of @Cerberusfilms, @TerilynnS and @Gettysburg7 for up to date news on this exciting new show.

Gettysburg7 (Nick Minecci)
    Co-host, The G&T Show Nick is a self-described “sci-fi loving geek” and avid fan fiction writer. He has a blog devoted to the joys of Star Trek and the pride of being a geek, http://www.bittertrolley.blogspot.com , and can be counted on to cite some obscure bit of minutia or make a bizarre film reference at any time. He is also an avid Star Trek Online player, and is known for his deep affection for Commander Christine Vale of the Star Trek novels.

TerilynnS (Terilynn Shull)
    Co-host, The G&T Show Terry is a general Star Trek Columnist for AirlockAlpha.com and contributing Star Trek Online columnist for SubspaceCommunique.com. She also co-hosts the Star Trek Online and Foundry-focused production - PodcastUGC. Terry is an avid hobby and fan fiction author, and an official publication reader. Terry is known around the Star Trek fan community for her love of beards and boots."

2. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

might check it out.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too. Can you say anything about which authors you have lined up?

4. Nick M

So far we have David Mack, Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, and Marco Palmieri lined up to discuss the Vanguard series, David Mack will talk in a seperate interview about Destiny and post-Destiny Trek lit, we have Keith R.A. DeCandido lined up and more on the way.

I am really hoping we can do a live feed from the Las Vegas convention. :drool:

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^That sounds fantastic! I'll try my best to listen :techman:

6. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Look forward to it. :)

7. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

BTW, why does he call himself Gettysburg7? I'm a bit of a Civil War buff, so I'm curious.

8. Nick M

Valin,

I call myself that because in addition to being a Trek fan, I am also a Soldier, and my unit is stationed in Gettysburg, Pa., and as the senior NCO in my unit my callsign on the radio is Gettysburg7. :)

Since you are a bit of a USCW buff, my job is of historian, so you can imagine my being based in Gettysburg....

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I've listened to the first episode of the podcast. Some thoughts:

• after the technical difficulties were dealt with and whenever you stayed on topic the show was pretty good
    • you probably shouldn't acknowledge every person coming into the instance where your STO characters are, as it disrupts the flow of the show, especially for those who don't play STO, and I had the feeling that you were forgetting what you were talking about before those "interruptions".
    • don't know if it was just me, but the audio and video were lagging pretty badly most of the time
    • had a chance to plug Unreality SF, which was a plus ;)

10. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How do I get this podcast to listen to?

I've been to the site
    http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms
    hours after the podcast was broadcasted and I can watch 2 videos made of the start of the podcast (first 20 minutes). But it definitely seems like the podcast continued on after that point.
    How do I get to listen to more?
    Do I need to sign up as a member and be logged in?
    Is it only available at time of broadcast and not after?

Just a few questions for someone new to podcasts.

11. Defcon

I listened to the live broadcast, so no idea what's up with the recording.

But the show was about 3 1/2 hours long , so it definitely continued after the 20 minutes that are available at the moment. No idea why the rest isn't on the site. :confused:

ETA: I made Nick M aware of the missing parts on Twitter.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  12. Defcon

^The rest of the show is up now.

13. Nick M

Defcon,

Thank you for the feedback, and in our after show discussion we discussed our commenting on people entering the room. I know for me that was just the excitment of seeing people from the west coast actually got up at 6 am their time to listen to us. :) A very valid point though.

I think the lag may have been a livestream issue, I was listening to another show later and there was the same issue.

I went and bought a new headset yesterday, so hopefully my sound will be a lot clearer.

I am glad you enjoye, and we will get better as any show does (well, you hope the show does!). Already plotting next Sunday, and some good things in store.

I would like to thanks those that listened, and Teri said to also send her appreciation. We may get a little sidetracked (the discussion about Sisko was not Trek lit, but I think it was a good debate about our viewpoints on that subject) but we really love Trek books and hope that came through.

Thanks again everyone!

14. Defcon

You're welcome.

I understand that. I was just talking from an outsider's (I have only played STO for a week or so during the Beta) standpoint. Maybe having little "roll-calls" after the bio-breaks would be a good compromise?

Probably, the recording sounds fine. :)

Yeah it did come through.

All I could think during the Sisko discussion was that Teri will absolutely hate the Sisko portions of Rough Beasts of Empire if she hasn't already read it. :rommie:

15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, I was a bit confused initially. (Maybe I still am)

So this isn't really a podcast, but a Vlog.

I was looking around for an .mp3 download link for 5 minutes and still haven't found one, if it exists.

I'm interested in your show, but I'm more interested in an audio-version I can have on in the background while doing other things.

Again, if I missed the download link, and just haven't seen the right links, please let me know. It's not extremely clear where your show is located and which video is the Show for the week.

16. Angstromdweller

Angstromdweller Lieutenant Red Shirt

^This. And it would be nice if it's available through itunes. :)

17. Defcon

Just listened to the recording, and she has read it, must have missed that due to the lags. :rommie:

There doesn't seem to be a audio only version, but you won't miss to much if you only listen to the audio. It's basically just the STO in-game characters of the hosts and some viewers.

For what's it worth: I had a short conversation with their techguy yesterday via Twitter and he mentioned that he'll change recording techniques so it will be easier to upload it to itunes and youtube, so I guess future episodes will be on itunes. *shrug*

18. Nick M

To add to what Defcon said, I knkow our webmaster/guru is working so it will be available on iTunes and YouTube.

The way it works is instead of just our voices, we thought it would be fun to have our characters from STO on screen, and we will be hosting from different locations, such as Vulcan, Andor, Risa...and I am pretty sure when we do our broadcast from the Vegas convention we will be in Quarks. :)

But I totally agree about the audio only option, and it is something we are working on.

For Defcon, I like the idea of the "roll call" after the bio break. One of the things that is so fun with this is (for those who play STO) that others can come and visit the "set" as we broadcast. There is someone building an actual talk show set for us in STO, I am pulling for a Merv Griffin type setting. LOL

I am glad you go to hear Teri's views regarding Sisko in Rough Beasts of Empire, I called her while I was reading the book and told her she HAD to read it considering how her and I have this endless debate about Sisko. LOL She is reading Paths of Disharmony right now, and we will have a very spirited discussion about that this week.

One thing we also will discuss is the ebooks and ereaders, as the impact is a big one and there are many Trek lit that are ebook specific. We are already mapping next week's episode, as well as how to handle when I am gone on a Sunday due to my Army Reserve duties.

I honestly cannot tell you how gratifying it is that there is interest in our show, and to let you all know we are working to refine the show so we stay far more Trek lit focused. But I think the Trek univerese is so vast there are some topics that cross from TV to film to books, and the joy is we can weave it all in.

The show is really just people who love Trek, especially n print, and us hanging out as two friends (three if you count "Fred" - and I do love that little joke we have with his name) discussing our passion.

Thanks to all who listen and hope to listen when we get some of the tech issues ironed out.

All the best!

19. Nick M

Hello everyone!

Jolan Tru and hope you are doing well. Just a reminder that Sunday morning is the second episode of The G and T Show! You can hear us at: http://www.livestream.com/cerberusfilms - we go on the air at 9 am EST/6 am PST (1400 GMT).

• This week discussions will include:
    • Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward
    • ebooks and ereaders (and Trek lit on them)
    • The character Beverly Crusher (Teri is very fired up about this after reading PoD!)
    • and more!
    If everything works out well we will also have a nice surprise on the show.

Hope those that joined last week will be back, and some new people join us as well.

Have a great day!

20. TimClarkeJr

TimClarkeJr Cadet Newbie

Looking forward to checking it out again, Nick, good luck! (And no broadcast from Shore Leave? Come on!)