Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 18 2011, 04:55 AM   #31
mmtz
Lieutenant Commander

Re: NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

bfollowell wrote: View Post
timothy wrote: View Post
do you think they will use photo covers as well as art covers ?
If they follow their established pattern, they'll have photo covers and painted covers and penciled covers and...

...and about fourteen different options per issue to try and drive up sales to the collectors that will always buy every single version.

- Byron
7 covers announced so far:

Star Trek #1 (Cover A Tim Bradstreet)
Star Trek #1 (Cover B David Messina)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover A)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover B)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover C)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover D)
Star Trek #1 (Roberto Orci and Mike Johnson Signed Edition)

also solicited is a Star Trek Movie Universe Box Set, a slipcased set of trade paperbacks: Countdown, Nero, Movie Adaptation
Old June 18 2011, 05:06 AM   #32
Daddy Todd
Captain

Ongoing monthly set in the Abramsverse from IDW -- Thumbs up!
Ongoing monthly "re-imagining" stories from TOS in the new reality -- Thumbs down!

We're 8 years earlier in the timeline than we were in the first season of TOS. So what, they just happen to run into this stuff in the same sequence 8 years earlier, in a different timeline? Seems a bit too convenient.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 06:06 AM   #33
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

You could say that about Star Trek XI. But if the comics follow the idea that it's an alternate universe where similar things happened differently or at a different time than in the prime universe, then there really isn't a problem.
Old June 18 2011, 06:26 AM   #34
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

I really torn on this. On one hand, an on-going is the one thing I've wanted from IDW from the start. On the other hand, I'm rather ambivelent about the JJ-verse in general. Truthfully, I'd rather see the quartet of shelved novels.
Old June 18 2011, 12:48 PM   #35
indianatrekker26
Captain

in a way, i can see why they went this route. If they did new stories, we'd be griping about everything having to be undone once the new movie hit. Similar to what happened to the old DC comics Star Trek series. They did tell new stories but then had to line the series back up with the latest movie coming out, which i remember people whining about.
This way, they can tell old stories but in a new way, without stepping on the toes of the next movie, especially with Orci there to help guide the book.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 12:53 PM   #36
Darth Duck
Commodore

The adventures of the Starship Enterprise continue in this new ongoing series that picks up where the blockbuster 2009 film left off! Featuring the new cast of the film, these missions re-imagine the stories from the original series in the alternate timeline created by the film, along with new threats and characters never seen before!
There will be new stories. There will also be re-imaginings. Though I'm interested in how they'll tackle stories like Journey to Babel and Amok Time
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 01:12 PM   #37
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

indianatrekker26 wrote: View Post
in a way, i can see why they went this route. If they did new stories, we'd be griping about everything having to be undone once the new movie hit. Similar to what happened to the old DC comics Star Trek series. They did tell new stories but then had to line the series back up with the latest movie coming out, which i remember people whining about.
This way, they can tell old stories but in a new way, without stepping on the toes of the next movie, especially with Orci there to help guide the book.
I loved it when the comics tried to "re-allign" themselves with the movie series. When I was reading through DC comics' first series (many years later) I not only loved the directions they were going in, but couldn't wait to see how they reconcilled themselves with the movie series. I was hoping for something similar here.

IIRC, those old comics said their post-STIII plotlines (Kirk on Excelsior, Spock on the Surak) were discussed with and okayed by by Harve Bennett.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 04:47 AM   #38
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

The classic stories were already well done, they don't need to be revisited. Why should we expect Kirk and Spock to handle TOS situations differently. I have no intention of buying these comics; i'll stick with the prime universe stuff.

Why can't we get Titan or Vanguard comics?
Old June 23 2011, 05:13 AM   #39
JD
Admiral

Because they don't want to have to stay consistant with the books? I could see trying to keep books and comics consistent with each other on a regular basis would be an incredible pain in the ass.
Old June 23 2011, 11:16 PM   #40
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

mmtz wrote: View Post
timothy wrote: View Post
do you think they will use photo covers as well as art covers ?
If they follow their established pattern, they'll have photo covers and painted covers and penciled covers and...

...and about fourteen different options per issue to try and drive up sales to the collectors that will always buy every single version.

- Byron
7 covers announced so far:

Star Trek #1 (Cover A Tim Bradstreet)
Star Trek #1 (Cover B David Messina)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover A)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover B)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover C)
Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover D)
Star Trek #1 (Roberto Orci and Mike Johnson Signed Edition)

also solicited is a Star Trek Movie Universe Box Set, a slipcased set of trade paperbacks: Countdown, Nero, Movie Adaptation

I may have to get cover A - D if there different crew members. I like jj universe I picked up the starship toy this week at toy's R us it was half off very cool. all so tryin to find all action figures as well. I so hope the success of this comic so they will do the book series. and then there is the starfleet academy series which is surprisingly good.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 11:40 PM   #41
bfollowell
Commander

Darth Duck wrote: View Post
There will be new stories. There will also be re-imaginings. Though I'm interested in how they'll tackle stories like Journey to Babel and Amok Time
Let's hope it's all new stories. I have absolutely no desire to see old episode retreads. With the new timeline, they wouldn't make much sense anyway.

As far as Amok Time goes, they won't handle it, at least I seriously doubt it. I mean, the planet Vulcan his history, along with probably, what? 99% of the Vulcan species. Why and how would the Amok Time scenario even arise? I guess Spock's betrothed could've been one of the survivors or it could just be about his Pon Farr in general and not about a specific person. Still, I'd much rather see all new stories and no mention of anything from the original series.

Just my two cents on the subject.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 12:51 AM   #42
Idran
Commander

Darth Duck wrote: View Post
Let's hope it's all new stories.
We know it's definitely not all new stories, because the solicit specifically mentions the first arc to be a reimagining of "Where No Man Has Gone Before".
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 01:25 AM   #43
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Why does "Where No Man . . . " need to be reimagined? The point of the new movie was to create a new universe unconstrained by the old stuff. So why re-do the old stuff? There is an old Russian proverb, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I think this shows the lack of ability on the IDW writing team.
Old June 24 2011, 02:26 AM   #44
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Did anyone else in this thread watch the new Battlestar Galactica? They were remaking episodes of the original show all the way up to the last season, often in considerably greater scope and wildly different execution. Compare "The Return of Starbuck" to "You Can't Go Home Again", "Lost Planet of the Gods" to the "Kobol's Last Gleaming" nine-parter, "The Living Legend" to "Pegasus"/"Resurrection Ship", and, most surprisingly...

I very much doubt this is just going to be a photonovel of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with Chris Pine's face pasted over William Shatner's. I'd be the only commonalities will be a big pink blob at the edge of the galaxy, and the fact that some folks get psychic powers from the same. After that, I fully expect things to go in a wildly divergent direction. I'll be shocked (albeit pleasantly) if Gary Mitchell even shows up.

And I don't see how this premise can be used to judge the ability of the writers. As the authors in this forum have stressed over and over and over, premises and ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution that matters. "The Galactica crew finds the legendary homeworld of humanity, Kobol, and discovers a vital clue towards the location of Earth" describes plots in the original and new BSGs, but I doubt anyone would say they were identical, or interchangeable, or a sign of lack of talent among the remake's writers (unless they were going to say that about the concept of remaking BSG as a whole, of course).

For that matter, "A planet-destroying menace is eating it's way through the galaxy, and only the Enterprise stands in its way" describes "The Doomsday Machine" and "The Immunity Syndrome."

Last edited by David cgc; June 24 2011 at 03:14 AM.
David cgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2011, 03:36 AM   #45
JD
Admiral

I actually really like the idea of Abramsverse versions of TOS episodes. I'm just curious to see what they keep and what they change.