TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 18 2011, 02:11 AM   #31
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: Farscape First time watch thread....

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The fact the show explains why everyone speaks English is a winner in sci-fi land.
So much so that it beats out "Universal Translator" as the name of the storytelling convention on TVTropes

Translator Microbes
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 02:36 AM   #32
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Watched the first episode, and really like it, it doesn't take itself TOO seriously, and already has this weird but wonderful vibe... Will review it later.

That. and Claudia Black
Old June 18 2011, 02:43 AM   #33
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
The fact the show explains why everyone speaks English is a winner in sci-fi land.
So much so that it beats out "Universal Translator" as the name of the storytelling convention on TVTropes

Translator Microbes
Of course, this creates a plot hole when you stop to think that:
Old June 18 2011, 03:24 AM   #34
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Distorted Humor - Yeah, one of Farscape's strengths is it can be pretty tongue in cheek. Weird, weird and funny.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post

Translator Microbes
I don't think that's how translator microbes work.

Old June 18 2011, 03:28 AM   #35
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Kegg wrote: View Post
Distorted Humor - Yeah, one of Farscape's strengths is it can be pretty tongue in cheek. Weird, weird and funny.

Translator Microbes
I don't think that's how translator microbes work.

Yeah, but
Old June 18 2011, 04:20 AM   #36
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but
Old June 18 2011, 04:43 AM   #37
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Yeah, but
Old June 18 2011, 05:22 AM   #38
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

"Premiere" - Very good start for the series. Keeps you moving along, you meet the cast, and you have a decent plot. its odd, kinda wonky, but well made. and Crichton is the oddest hero of a SF series I have seen in a long time. Riegal is awesome puppet (you almost forget he a puppet/muppet. ) Aeryn is just plain hot. and D'Argo is a nice riff of the Space Worrior. O yea, pilot and living ship.

"I, E.T." - Better then it should be, and they do love to put Aeryn and Crichton holding on to each other whenever the ship has a issue. Now I do not like cute kid stories, but this is better then I expected. The Riegal (am I spelling his name correctly?) puppet is a well made puppet with a lot of functionality.

"Exodus from Genesis" - this was a surpisingly well written episode, and we learn a lot. Peacekeepers are very heat sensitive, and the plot was while at the same time a trope (The bug eyed aliens are actually not the bad guys) the ending made it worthwhile as I can just see the reaction at the peacekeepers when they hear that Crichton can copy himself over and over again.

"Throne for a Loss" - ok, SF has a hard time being just funny. This episode was HILARIOUS. I also liked the blue leaves in the background on planet side as a aside. I also really like it that its puppets for the most part, gives it a charm. Also, this may sound odd, but with all the leather and TV safe nudity and Aeryn beating the crap of out D'argo with him asking for it harder....That there is a kinky S&M feel at times. Or it could just be my imagination

Also, how did they keep Claudia Black's pupils so dilated all the time?
Old June 18 2011, 05:27 AM   #39
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
The Riegal (am I spelling his name correctly?)
It's Rygel.

The rest of your spelling (Aeryn, Cricthon, D'Argo) is dead on, though.

But yes, the Rygel puppet - and character - are great. It's really a top notch job from the Henson company. I'm always impressed when I rewatch the series with the sheer range of performance they get from Rygel and Pilot - one simply accepts them as characters like everyone else and leaves it at that.

Also, this may sound odd, but with all the leather and TV safe nudity and Aeryn beating the crap of out D'argo with him asking for it harder....That there is a kinky S&M feel at times.
Oh god no this is a clean, purehearted family friendly show... uh....
Old June 18 2011, 06:30 AM   #40
JRoss
Fleet Captain

Farscape: the most underrated, unfairly-treated and brilliant sci-fi series of all time.
Old June 18 2011, 06:53 AM   #41
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

"Premiere" - Very good start for the series. Keeps you moving along, you meet the cast, and you have a decent plot. its odd, kinda wonky, but well made. and Crichton is the oddest hero of a SF series I have seen in a long time. Riegal is awesome puppet (you almost forget he a puppet/muppet. ) Aeryn is just plain hot. and D'Argo is a nice riff of the Space Worrior. O yea, pilot and living ship.

"I, E.T." - Better then it should be, and they do love to put Aeryn and Crichton holding on to each other whenever the ship has a issue. Now I do not like cute kid stories, but this is better then I expected. The Riegal (am I spelling his name correctly?) puppet is a well made puppet with a lot of functionality.

"Exodus from Genesis" - this was a surpisingly well written episode, and we learn a lot. Peacekeepers are very heat sensitive, and the plot was while at the same time a trope (The bug eyed aliens are actually not the bad guys) the ending made it worthwhile as I can just see the reaction at the peacekeepers when they hear that Crichton can copy himself over and over again.

"Throne for a Loss" - ok, SF has a hard time being just funny. This episode was HILARIOUS. I also liked the blue leaves in the background on planet side as a aside. I also really like it that its puppets for the most part, gives it a charm. Also, this may sound odd, but with all the leather and TV safe nudity and Aeryn beating the crap of out D'argo with him asking for it harder....That there is a kinky S&M feel at times. Or it could just be my imagination

Also, how did they keep Claudia Black's pupils so dilated all the time?
If you like season 1 this much already then you will be amazed at seasons 2 and 3.
Old June 18 2011, 07:02 AM   #42
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

Also, this may sound odd, but with all the leather and TV safe nudity and Aeryn beating the crap of out D'argo with him asking for it harder....That there is a kinky S&M feel at times.
Yeah, Warren Ellis apparently commented at some point that Farscape was "...One American's descent into Australia's S&M scene".

Which I can't really argue with. There's a definite undercurrent of kink in this series, and it only gets worse/better from here.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2011, 08:32 AM   #43
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Oh, man! If you're liking Farscape now, you're going to LOVE it by the time you finish it. And yeah, Claudia Black is sex on legs ...
Old June 18 2011, 03:43 PM   #44
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Oh, man! If you're liking Farscape now, you're going to LOVE it by the time you finish it. And yeah, Claudia Black is sex on legs ...
Indeed, I have a tendicy to like or really dislike SF shows. For example, I lasted all of 15 mins on Lexx before saying "I am not going to waste my time on this" while Farscape had me hooked on in the first 15, kinda like DS9 or b5 did.

Yeah, Warren Ellis apparently commented at some point that Farscape was "...One American's descent into Australia's S&M scene".

Which I can't really argue with. There's a definite undercurrent of kink in this series, and it only gets worse/better from here.
Ok good, Its not me being dirty minded, and others have seen it. I might be Mormon, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a little kink in life
Old June 18 2011, 04:49 PM   #45
RoJoHen
Awesome

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Indeed, I have a tendicy to like or really dislike SF shows. For example, I lasted all of 15 mins on Lexx before saying "I am not going to waste my time on this" while Farscape had me hooked on in the first 15, kinda like DS9 or b5 did.
That's awesome. Most people have a rough time with season 1.

You are going to be amazed by this show by the time you get to the end of the season.