Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade Green Lantern?
A+ 5 3.52%
A 7 4.93%
A- 11 7.75%
B+ 20 14.08%
B 18 12.68%
B- 23 16.20%
C+ 10 7.04%
C 15 10.56%
C- 13 9.15%
D+ 4 2.82%
D 3 2.11%
D- 3 2.11%
F 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17 2011, 05:39 PM   #31
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Yikes! 21% on Rotten Tomatoes, so far. That's like Ghost Rider numbers. Ouch.
Do we need to break out the Nicholas Cage threat meter?
Old June 17 2011, 06:10 PM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

THR is calling the midnight take 3.4 million now.

Green Lantern, based on the D.C. Comics character, is tracking best among males over the age of 25. Younger males are a strong second, followed by younger females who want to see Reynolds in the title role.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 06:30 PM   #33
lurok
Commodore

Guardian review
This is sometimes engagingly daft, but it simply fails to spark, and Reynolds – so good in recent movies like Buried and The Nines – just looks like a slice of inert beefcake. Incidentally, he looks like taking over Matthew McConaughey's award as the actor most likely to get his shirt off.
Though their critic is an ass...
Old June 17 2011, 07:34 PM   #34
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Here's a review from MovieBob from the Escapist magazine

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...-Green-Lantern

WARNING!!! MAJOR NERD RAGE!!

It's still pretty entertaining.
Old June 17 2011, 07:48 PM   #35
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
Guardian review
This is sometimes engagingly daft, but it simply fails to spark, and Reynolds – so good in recent movies like Buried and The Nines – just looks like a slice of inert beefcake. Incidentally, he looks like taking over Matthew McConaughey's award as the actor most likely to get his shirt off.
Though their critic is an ass...
It has been hammered by every major critic in the UK. The BBC news guy thought that it was just plain stupid.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 08:04 PM   #36
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

interesting comment about Johns over at deadline:

But Hollywood is expecting director Martin Campbell to be made the scapegoat on this one if it underperforms; Campbell has already publicly suggested he won't be back if there's a sequel. The truth is Geoff Johns, DC Entertainment's chief creative officer who also writes the "Green Lantern" comics and was integrally involved (reputedly even the deciding vote) on every big decision on this movie, starting with the writers. And he's a very controversial figure, to put it mildly. So he'll come out of this weekend either the goat or the hero.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 10:08 PM   #37
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Just saw it. Givin' it a B. Gut reactions:

-The main reason for me to see any superhero movie is to see the superhero stuff. The creators did pretty good with the ring stuff. (I thought it was cute the way Sinestro conjured Cap's shield to deflect Hal's "Painless" vulcan cannon rounds.)

-I had reservations about Ryan Reynolds playing Hal Jordan. Now that I've seen him in the part...I still have them. Sorry, but I remember this guy from "2 guys, A girl and a Pizza Place" and Michael Bergin's about the extent of his range as an actor. He had no business playing Hal Jordan.

-Blake Lively was dull. Milquetoast dull. Not quite January Jones dull, but as if she's just started taking the same acting class Jones graduated from. She might have been able to pass herself off as Carol Ferris it were just Businesswoman Carol. Trying to turn her into a tough-as-nails test pilot just made her look ridiculous. (and before the feminists pile on, I have no trouble believing in a female tough as nails test pilot...just not played Blake Lively.)

-Thank God for actors Like Peter Saarsgard who will put their all into the silliest of roles. (F'rinstance, I couldn't have sat all the way through the first Hulk movie if Sam Elliot hadn't been playing "Thunderbolt" Ross...)

-Okay, so the casting people couldn't find a single fat Black woman capable of playing Amanda Waller? Really? Did they look, or just hope purists wouldn't notice the weight loss?

-I am sick and tired of the "Giant Alien Space Cloud" bullshit. Yes, Hollywood, I get that you all think giant aliens are silly, but howzabout youse let the audience decide, huh?! "Galactus can't be a giant! Oh! We'll make him a space cloud!" "Parallax is a giant? That's silly! I know! We'll make him a space cloud! We're so clever!"

And yet, I award a "B" because catching a helicopter with a dragster on a toy car racetrack is Green Lantern coolness...and Kilowog rules!

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 10:14 PM   #38
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I saw it last night. Critics are nuts. I thought it was great. Not as good as X-Men: First Class, but it was still very entertaining. Good performances, great action, a slightly undercooked story, but it never felt rushed.
Old June 17 2011, 10:25 PM   #39
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I give it a B+. It's definitely not fanboy proof (what is anyway?), but I thought it was a good take on the Green Lantern mythos that people who don't know the first thing about it can enjoy. While Hal Jordan isn't my favorite Green Lantern, I found myself liking Ryan Reynolds' average joe take on the role. Mark Strong as Sinestro was a scene stealer, IMO. Loved seeing the Corps all 3600 members strong on Oa as well as Jordan gradually mastering his ring.

But one thing for sure is that this movie was written with a sequel in mind, and nothing hammers that more is the clip that comes in after the closing credits.
Old June 17 2011, 10:28 PM   #40
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
-Okay, so the casting people couldn't find a single fat Black woman capable of playing Amanda Waller? Really? Did they look, or just hope purists wouldn't notice the weight loss?

Of all the complaints to have with a movie, "the black woman wasn't fat enough" has to be one of the silliest I've ever heard.

Anyway, I didn't think it was awful (certainly not as bad as the Tomatometer would have you believe), but more ... aggressively mediocre. It has significant pacing issues (the middle act draaaaaaaaaaaags) and Blake Lively was unbearable (which is odd, as she was excellent in The Town), but it's not terrible.

I guess I can sum up my main problem thusly: "Oh, there's another problem I need to deal with? Well, first, I'll need to take off this power ring..."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 10:31 PM   #41
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Of all the complaints to have with a movie, "the black woman wasn't fat enough" has to be one of the silliest I've ever heard.
I'm sorry. Next time I'll be sure my honest opinion about an actor is as brilliant and well thought out as the giant alien space clouds, just to please you.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 10:32 PM   #42
Neroon
Mod of balance

Just got back from seeing the film, and.... it more or less met my expectations. Which weren't that high in the first place. Mind you, I'm coming from a lack of familiarity with the GL universe. At any rate, I'm not entirely certain what it was that disappointed me. I had been concerned the special effects would overwhelm things, but honestly.... they didn't do that at all. I think what I didn't care for was the characters themselves. I cared not at all about them, seeing a lack of dimension in about everyone except Hector. He was at least pitiable for the most part. But the rest.... meh. Ryan Reynolds seemed to snark his way through it though I did find a few of his lines funny enough. Carol..... well, I'm with Admiral2 on her character as well as Blake Lively's performance.

I won't be TOO surprised if there's a sequel... but it won't shock me if there isn't one either. I think the film tried to wow folks with the effects and all... but we've seen so much of that already. Sure it was pretty... but that's about it. There are plenty of worse films out there, even in the superhero genre... but in the end I guess I was bored with it. Which is saying something with Lively on screen.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 11:13 PM   #43
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Who's that one movie critic who always counters the flow, like if it's a raved about movie he says it sucks and if it's a piece of shit movie he elevates it to Citizen Cane levels of great?

What's his take on GL?
Old June 17 2011, 11:20 PM   #44
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
Armond White?
I don't see his review listed on RT.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 11:21 PM   #45
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Armond White, and no, he hasn't reviewed the movie yet.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote