RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,887
Posts: 5,329,880
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 557
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 16 2011, 11:29 PM   #241
milo bloom
Fleet Captain
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Location: The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

BillJ wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
The TOS-R Blu-rays are in the OAR in all territories. I imported the US discs, but I would've been fine with the UK releases. I'm confident any future TNG-R BD sets will do the same.
Which I didn't understand since they rendered the effects in widescreen.
I hope they don't stretch or crop TNG for the new series. We watch all kinds of 4x3 material on our widescreen set and we don't have a problem with the bars on the side.
__________________
'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!
milo bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:31 PM   #242
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'd hope that once stations saw the result of presenting the series in widescreen, they'd pass. Is there much of a precedent for releasing 1.33:1 television programs cropped to widescreen on home video, anyway? I can't say I'm totally concerned about how the show is broadcast on TV -- I'll be watching it on Blu-Ray if it's released.
Seinfeld was cropped for 16x9 when it was remastered, and airs in syndication that way. Personally I think it looks terrible too.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:36 PM   #243
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I'd hope that once stations saw the result of presenting the series in widescreen, they'd pass. Is there much of a precedent for releasing 1.33:1 television programs cropped to widescreen on home video, anyway? I can't say I'm totally concerned about how the show is broadcast on TV -- I'll be watching it on Blu-Ray if it's released.
Seinfeld was cropped for 16x9 when it was remastered, and airs in syndication that way. Personally I think it looks terrible too.
Now see I've also watched these on TBS. The early seasons don't look so good, but once you get to season three you wouldn't know the difference if you didn't know it was originally done in 4:3. YMMV.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:38 PM   #244
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

BillJ wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I'd hope that once stations saw the result of presenting the series in widescreen, they'd pass. Is there much of a precedent for releasing 1.33:1 television programs cropped to widescreen on home video, anyway? I can't say I'm totally concerned about how the show is broadcast on TV -- I'll be watching it on Blu-Ray if it's released.
HDNet has shown shows such as Cheers and Hogan's Hero's cropped.
True, but have they been released in the cropped widescreen format on home video? Not as far as I know.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:41 PM   #245
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Harvey wrote: View Post

True, but have they been released in the cropped widescreen format on home video? Not as far as I know.
But it's been two-and-a-half years since it completed it DVD releases. If they had started today, we honestly don't know how they would've been released. The cropped versions looked perfectly fine on HDNet.

Like I said before... I'd like for widescreen to be an option on home video releases. Just like multiple audio tracks.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:55 PM   #246
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I wouldn't mind if widescreen was included in addition to the original aspect ratio, but I'd much prefer a whole list of things before widescreen was a priority.

And, certainly those shows were released on DVD in their native aspect ratio -- those were SD releases. But if they were released to Blu-Ray, would they be the cropped versions? 1.33:1 shows I've seen on Blu-Ray so far have been pillar-boxed, not cropped. These include Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, The Prisoner, and Space: 1999.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 11:56 PM   #247
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I bought the UK season 1 DVD set of Kung Fu, which I was dismayed to find had been re-formated to 16:9. It didn't even cross my mind to check the specs on the box before purchase.

Suffice to say, it looks terrible.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 12:33 AM   #248
Mr. B
Vice Admiral
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Location: New Orleans
Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Harvey wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind if widescreen was included in addition to the original aspect ratio, but I'd much prefer a whole list of things before widescreen was a priority.

And, certainly those shows were released on DVD in their native aspect ratio -- those were SD releases. But if they were released to Blu-Ray, would they be the cropped versions? 1.33:1 shows I've seen on Blu-Ray so far have been pillar-boxed, not cropped. These include Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, The Prisoner, and Space: 1999.
Since filmed TV shows are shot full-frame, you'd have to chop off the top and bottom of the original to get 'widescreen.' I don't see how that would be desirable, especially with the tight framing that's frequently employed in TNG.
__________________
“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities.”
-Oscar Wilde
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 02:12 AM   #249
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Dac wrote: View Post
Well, I took a stab at them:



Full Res: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...idescreen1.jpg



Full Res: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...idescreen2.jpg



Yes, they are tricky shots. Yes, I did squash/stretch them and Yes, I did resort to using content aware fill to "widen" the image...but I'd say none of the critical information has been lost in the transformation. Everyone's face is still in shot, everyone's uniform is visible to some degree and, most importantly, Troi's cleavage is left unharmed.

So while my techniques may have been clumsy and haphazard, if this schmuck can do it, I dare say the folks over at CBS digital could as well.

EDIT: And Yes, these have been blown up to 720p. I did my best with some digital noise reduction, but as you can clearly see its nowhere near enough HD quality.

The version shown on TATV, the only ACTUAL footage we have seen aired this way, does not have the apparent stretching as obvious as your efforts. Also you are not taking into account the slight difference in aspect ratios between the filmed version and aired version. Ok shoot me, but I think it looks pretty damn good in ENT.

AviTrek wrote: View Post

Seinfeld was cropped for 16x9 when it was remastered, and airs in syndication that way. Personally I think it looks terrible too.

One of my favorite shows...and I think it looks way better this way.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 08:17 AM   #250
Art Vandelay
Captain
 
Art Vandelay's Avatar
 
Location: New Vertiform City
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

BillJ wrote: View Post
It's just a straight crop. Doesn't look like there was any creativity involved.
So that's what's required for a stretch 'n crop violation of the image to look good! Creativity! Why, thank you, I was beginning to wonder. I guess Ted Turner was also being "creative" when he colorized Casablanca back in the 80s.

Let's consider an analogy. I like strawberries. Some people may like strawberries with mustard. I don't like that, but more power to them. My problem starts at the point when these people clamor for strawberries to be made available only pre-drowned in mustard. Why don't these people decide to simply get a side order of mustard (i.e. hit the stretch button on the remote control)? Please don't spoil the strawberry experience for all the mustard haters.

And to be honest, I strongly believe that CBS is going to go the OAR route.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 09:27 AM   #251
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Mr. B wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind if widescreen was included in addition to the original aspect ratio, but I'd much prefer a whole list of things before widescreen was a priority.

And, certainly those shows were released on DVD in their native aspect ratio -- those were SD releases. But if they were released to Blu-Ray, would they be the cropped versions? 1.33:1 shows I've seen on Blu-Ray so far have been pillar-boxed, not cropped. These include Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, The Prisoner, and Space: 1999.
Since filmed TV shows are shot full-frame, you'd have to chop off the top and bottom of the original to get 'widescreen.' I don't see how that would be desirable, especially with the tight framing that's frequently employed in TNG.
Agreed, although since the effects will probably be rendered in widescreen, it might make an interesting, if entirely supplementary, feature.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 09:40 AM   #252
Art Vandelay
Captain
 
Art Vandelay's Avatar
 
Location: New Vertiform City
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Harvey wrote: View Post
1.33:1 shows I've seen on Blu-Ray so far have been pillar-boxed, not cropped. These include Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, The Prisoner, and Space: 1999.
I like your style. We own all of these Blu-ray sets as well, and they're glorious, immaculate restaurations. Looking forward to the fifth and final Twilight Zone set in August! And hoping that they announce the second season of Space: 1999 soon. (When I watch this show, I always think that this is kind of what Star Trek: Phase II would have looked like.)
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 02:39 PM   #253
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post

My problem starts at the point when these people clamor for strawberries to be made available only pre-drowned in mustard.
This is where the analogy falls apart. Care to show me where anyone said it should be released in widescreen only?

BillJ wrote:

Like I said before... I'd like for widescreen to be an option on home video releases. Just like multiple audio tracks.
I'm truly mystified by some people's stark "all or nothing" worldview.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 02:55 PM   #254
Art Vandelay
Captain
 
Art Vandelay's Avatar
 
Location: New Vertiform City
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

^ Remastering TNG in HD is crazy expensive as it is. So expensive indeed that the cost was considered prohibitive for a long time. Doing two versions - 4:3 and 16:9 - is going to be even more expensive. Therefore, I highly doubt that CBS is going to do that, and I assume that we're only getting one version. I'd just like that version to be the proper one, please. If CBS decides to give us a choice, I'd happily be proven wrong!
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 03:00 PM   #255
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
^ Remastering TNG in HD is crazy expensive as it is. Doing two versions - 4:3 and 16:9 - is going to be even more expensive. Therefore, I highly doubt that CBS is going to do that, and I assume that we're only getting one version. I'd just like that version to be the proper one. If CBS decides to give us a choice, I'd happily be proven wrong!
Since they did Star Trek Remastered in 4:3 and 16:9, it may be that broadcasters are more inclined to buy widescreen programming in Europe and Asia. Which would make a widescreen version a forgone conclusion.
__________________
"When I first heard about it (the Enterprise underwater), my inner Trekkie was in a rage. When I saw it, my inner kid beat up my inner Trekkie and made him go sit in the corner." - Bill Jasper
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered, tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.