Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 15 2011, 11:06 AM   #181
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

fugazi wrote: View Post
Hi folks. I'm new here and you have no reason to believe me. But...

TNG-R is definitely coming. Confirmed. May be able to dig up some details for you in the coming weeks.
I believe, I choose to believe.
Old June 15 2011, 03:19 PM   #182
Saxman1
Commodore

I have all of Star Trek on DVD. I'm not ponying up again unless some sets are destroyed or something. That wasn't a small investment, even if I did get a lot of sets used. At 51 and looking at perhaps another period of extended unemployment, not even a blip on my radar, LOL!
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 03:28 PM   #183
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post

TNG-R is definitely coming. Confirmed. May be able to dig up some details for you in the coming weeks.
I won't believe it until wither CBS or someone actually working on the project come forward and say its happening.
Old June 15 2011, 03:54 PM   #184
scotthm
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I'm sure they could do a decent upscaling job that would satisfy the viewers.
Not this viewer. Besides, if I just want to watch TNG in SD I already have the DVDs, so Paramount isn't going to make any more money off of me unless that add some value to a new product.

People are still watching old black and white movies, so why shouldn't they watch Trek in SD?
I have Casablanca, The Day the Earth Stood Still, King Kong, The Maltese Falcon, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on Blu-ray. They're all B&W movies, and they all look much better on Blu-ray than DVD on a decent sized television. Even on my 25" computer monitor they look much better than on DVD.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2011, 04:40 PM   #185
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post

I won't believe it until wither CBS or someone actually working on the project come forward and say its happening.
I'm with you, BillJ. But as Dr. Phlox might say... "optimism"!
Old June 16 2011, 01:19 AM   #186
Mitty
Vice Admiral

So without trawling this entire thread, would this mean a widescreen version? Please, please, please.
Old June 16 2011, 01:48 AM   #187
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Mitty wrote: View Post
So without trawling this entire thread, would this mean a widescreen version? Please, please, please.
If they do it, it will most likely just be HD, not widescreen. There's no reason to screw up the picture.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 02:58 AM   #188
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ TOS-R was not widescreen, so TNG-R probably will also not be.

Then again, the "Menage a Troi" footage that found its way into ENT's final episode was widescreen. How did they manage that? AFAIK, it wasn't cropped.
Old June 16 2011, 03:07 AM   #189
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
How did they manage that? AFAIK, it wasn't cropped.
Mildly cropped, mildly stretched side-to-side and had the framing mildly widened (i.e. they used some elements on either side of the frame that were cropped for the original broadcast). There's an analysis here. It looks okay for those shots, as long as you don't compare them to the original, but I wouldn't want to see that done to every frame of footage in the series.
Old June 16 2011, 03:13 AM   #190
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ TOS-R was not widescreen, so TNG-R probably will also not be.

Then again, the "Menage a Troi" footage that found its way into ENT's final episode was widescreen. How did they manage that? AFAIK, it wasn't cropped.
Original footage has a safe action area with an aspect ratio of 1.37:1, its televised at 1.33:1. They used that, then stretched it by 5.8%. Top and bottom was cropped.

RAMA
Old June 16 2011, 03:15 AM   #191
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I'm fairly certain it IS being worked on right now, but I am also fairly certain this poster doesn't know anything about it.
Old June 16 2011, 03:43 AM   #192
fugazi
Cadet

I'm fairly certain it IS being worked on right now, but I am also fairly certain this poster doesn't know anything about it.
I wouldn't believe some random person either. But I have no reason to lie to you. I just heard the confirmation from someone at CBS-D last weekend and wanted to share my excitement with some like-minded individuals.
fugazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 04:12 AM   #193
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't believe some random person either. But I have no reason to lie to you. I just heard the confirmation from someone at CBS-D last weekend and wanted to share my excitement with some like-minded individuals.
Well we'll see
Old June 16 2011, 07:18 AM   #194
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

Takeru wrote: View Post
Mitty wrote: View Post
If they do it, it will most likely just be HD, not widescreen. There's no reason to screw up the picture.
If they screw this up with widescreen, my enthusiasm for this project goes from 110% to 0%. Widescreen does not magically make shows better, especially when it was not shot for that aspect ratio.
If people want to watch it in "widescreen" they can hit the crop button on their remote, instead of chopping off part of the picture permanently.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2011, 08:00 AM   #195
scotthm
Rear Admiral

BlobVanDam wrote: View Post
If they screw this up with widescreen, my enthusiasm for this project goes from 110% to 0%.
My enthusiasm would go from 20% to 80% if it is a well done widescreen conversion.

If people want to watch it in "widescreen" they can hit the crop button on their remote, instead of chopping off part of the picture permanently.
If it can be done well, it will be at the hands of professionals and not your television. The part of the picture that gets cropped is unlikely to have anything more interesting going on than the additional image on the sides has.

---------------
scotthm is offline   Reply With Quote