Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 12 2011, 10:04 PM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: What Hath Netflix Wrought?!

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Gah! Well I always hit the Your Queue tab immediately, so I haven't really noticed the change...
Well, one would think that eventually you would need to, ya know, add stuff to your queue.
Old June 13 2011, 01:18 AM   #32
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I'm kinda with Temis on that. Yeah, the change is NOT an improvement, but both my queues are almost full, so I hardly ever do any browsing unless I see something elsewhere that makes me want to look up something specific.

That said, the new UI is lousy. I hate things that move or pop up on a website just because your mouse happens to drift over them. Part of why I love this place so much.
Old June 13 2011, 03:20 AM   #33
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Gah! Well I always hit the Your Queue tab immediately, so I haven't really noticed the change...
Well, one would think that eventually you would need to, ya know, add stuff to your queue.
I don't use Netflix to give me ideas, but I do use em to tell me when one of my ideas is a baaaad one. My queue is perpetually around 250 DVDs, never drops below 200.

Just out of curiosity, I just tried doing one of those turn-the-three-cards things for suggestions. All of them bad. Hmm, I guess there's a reason I ignore Netflix's suggestions. Mostly they suggest movies I already know about and don't interest me.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 06:48 AM   #34
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Yuck, I just checked it out and it seems pretty awful. It seems like they went overboard on trying to make a fancy visual experience.
It's like they said "we need new bathwater, let's throw this stuff out!" and someone replied, "what about the baby in the bathtub?!" to which they answered, "doesn't matter! We need new bathwater!"

EDIT: Sort of like iTunes, there's a "Browse DVD's" in tiny print at the bottom that lets you get back to the older style page.
Yep, except right now, there's no "classic" option. This is it. Quite frankly, it's nearly unusable for me.

According to a recent post on their blog there is a plug in for Chrome which redirects you to the old layout.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bfpo?hl=en-US#
Old June 13 2011, 06:49 AM   #35
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Yuck, I just checked it out and it seems pretty awful. It seems like they went overboard on trying to make a fancy visual experience.
It's like they said "we need new bathwater, let's throw this stuff out!" and someone replied, "what about the baby in the bathtub?!" to which they answered, "doesn't matter! We need new bathwater!"

EDIT: Sort of like iTunes, there's a "Browse DVD's" in tiny print at the bottom that lets you get back to the older style page.
Yep, except right now, there's no "classic" option. This is it. Quite frankly, it's nearly unusable for me.

According to a recent post on their blog there is a plug in for Chrome which redirects you to the old layout.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bfpo?hl=en-US#
Yep. It works, too. I use Firefox, but switch to Chrome so I can access Netflix, which goes to show Netflix could solve this problem in 5 seconds if they really wanted to do so.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 06:55 AM   #36
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Holy crap that's pretty amazing! Now I finally have a use for Chrome.

EDIT: I took the URL from Chrome and dumped into my usual browser and it works.

Try this to get the old layout:
http://www.netflix.com/WiHome?fcld=true

EDIT 2: Crap, while that works for one page it doesn't if you click on something whereas the Google plugin automatically adds whatever the right thing is to the URL's.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 07:00 AM   #37
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Now if only they'd fix their bookmark button issues I might switch!
Old June 13 2011, 07:39 AM   #38
Data Holmes
Admiral

Interesting... Didn't the Google Chromebooks ship this week?
Old June 13 2011, 07:59 AM   #39
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

It's times like these when I'm glad I'm stubborn and stuck in the olden days of wired connections, and totally hate wireless and streaming nonsense, because as a Netflix user who only uses the discs... I'm not effected by this at all.

Sure, I'm lacking extra content I've got access to. But... *shrug* I'm not pissed off about a layout update, hehe.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 03:10 PM   #40
bluedana

I tried using this last night and gave up, frustrated. I'm one of those people who use Netflix to watch movies I otherwise would never hear about or seek out -- in addition to ordering specific titles by DVD. So this non-browsing browsing option is really useless to me. The titles scroll by so fast, I have to go through them two or three times just to know what they are. Terrible.
Old June 13 2011, 04:40 PM   #41
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Just out of curiosity, I just tried doing one of those turn-the-three-cards things for suggestions. All of them bad. Hmm, I guess there's a reason I ignore Netflix's suggestions. Mostly they suggest movies I already know about and don't interest me.
Okay, I'm really curious now, what is this three card thing you speak of? I want to do it!
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 04:56 PM   #42
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Seems OK to me. Now to pop some popcorn and settle in for Girls Bravo!
Old June 13 2011, 05:03 PM   #43
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

I'm an amateur web designer myself and the new site is absolute garbage. It looks like some interface designer's wet dream but functionally speaking is practically useless. Users generally balk at change but this is a case where the new thing is genuinely worse.
Old June 13 2011, 10:43 PM   #44
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Everyone seems to be gearing up for more mobile applications, like smartphones and tablets. The problem is that there will still be millions of desktop and laptop PC users who are now taking Dramamine tablets to visit these redesigned sites, myself included.

I figured most web designers, like yourself Owain, would take a look at the new site and wonder just how the hell a user is supposed to navigate through everything.
Yea I've noticed that. That's rather inconvienient for anyone who has a lap top or a PC. Like you said. Now we have to wait forever for the stupid page to load, due to the redesigners... HUGE mistake.
Random_Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2011, 07:50 AM   #45
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Well, the Netflix blog hit it's 5000th comment, which means it reached max capacity. Not bad for 5 days.

Last I checked, they've received:

5000 comments on the official Netflix blog.
12,000 tweets (as of the other day).
In the words of the rep I was talking to, "constant" phone calls complaining about the interface.

I'm curious to see what they do. They're in too precarious a position to simply ignore paying members. Of course, it would happen with all those Star Trek releases coming up.