RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,547
Posts: 5,513,394
Members: 25,143
Currently online: 533
Newest member: ShadowL

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 13 2011, 12:20 AM   #466
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Mach5 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Word-wide total puts this movie now a $173 million which means that in two weeks, world wide, the movie has paid for its production budget.
Not even remotely true.
Why not?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 12:24 AM   #467
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Word-wide total puts this movie now a $173 million which means that in two weeks, world wide, the movie has paid for its production budget.
Not even remotely true.
Why not?
A movie needs to at least make double its production budget in the worldwide total to make a profit, theaters always get a share of the money and studios spend a ton on adversting, a common fact known by people that follow the boxoffice.

So it has to make $330 worldwide first for any chance at a sequel. It is going to take this movie a while to get there.

This movie is a disappointment at the boxoffice, but I guess it'll make a profit eventually.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 12:35 AM   #468
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Dream wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Not even remotely true.
Why not?
A movie needs to at least make double its production budget in the worldwide total to make a profit, theaters always get a share of the money and studios spend a ton on adversting, a common fact known by people that follow the boxoffice.

So it has to make $330 worldwide first for any chance at a sequel. It is going to take this movie a while to get there.

This movie is a disappointment at the boxoffice, but I guess it'll make a profit eventually.
Was Star Trek a disappointment because it cost 150 million and earned only 176 million after two weeks?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 12:50 AM   #469
Servo
Rear Admiral
 
Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, England
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Dream wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mach5 wrote: View Post
Not even remotely true.
Why not?
A movie needs to at least make double its production budget in the worldwide total to make a profit, theaters always get a share of the money and studios spend a ton on adversting, a common fact known by people that follow the boxoffice.
And if Trekker had said that the film had made a profit, what you just posted would mean something. As it stands, he didn't. So it doesn't.
__________________
"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord..."
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 12:58 AM   #470
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Was Star Trek a disappointment because it cost 150 million and earned only 176 million after two weeks?
Not really a good comparison. STXI was a hit and biggest Trek movie when it was released. XMFC made the least out of the X-men movies when it came out.

Servo wrote: View Post
And if Trekker had said that the film had made a profit, what you just posted would mean something. As it stands, he didn't. So it doesn't.
It still doesn't make my post wrong. The movie isn't doing that hot overseas. It flopped pretty badly in Italy.

FOX recasting so many of the characters for this reboot/prequel/whatever has put off many people.

It'll end up doing okay in the end, but will become the lowest grossing X-men film.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 01:04 AM   #471
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

You say Star Trek was a hit, even though it only made 257 million domestic/ 385 worldwide against a 150 million budget. According to what you said about X-Men: FC, it only barely broke even.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 01:10 AM   #472
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
You say Star Trek was a hit, even though it only made 257 million domestic against a 150 million budget.
Yeah, it was a hit. It end up making $385,680,446 worldwide. Worldwide numbers are the only thing studios care about. It also ended up reviving a dead movie franchise bringing in new fans.

XMFC will end up doing okay, I can't comment on the quality of the movie since I haven't watched it, but even Wolverine will end up making more than it. I'm just saying it has so far being doing disappointing numbers.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 02:27 AM   #473
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

The movie made a respectable drop from it's first week to it's second week and this was going up against probably one of the bigger releases this summer (Super 8), the movie is mostly holding its own and getting good word-of-mouth from audiences and professional reviewers. After the theatrical run and with the DVD sales/rentals/Netflix/whatever it should see a tidy profit.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 04:52 AM   #474
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
Broccoli wrote: View Post
Prof. X walking is really the only major discontinuity, and even that is extraordinarily minor.
So, it's a minor major discontinuity?
As goofy as that sounds, yeah.

Let me rephrase. The biggest thing is Prof. X's walking. And, on the whole, that is very minor.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 05:00 AM   #475
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Dream wrote: View Post
So it has to make $330 worldwide first for any chance at a sequel. It is going to take this movie a while to get there.
Really?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...firstclass.htm

Over $223 million worldwide after only 2 weeks.

I think it'll get that $330 million quicker than people think.
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 06:23 AM   #476
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Just saw the film a second time...and yes I think it's possibly trumped "X2" as my favorite film in the franchise. I do see what people have against January Jones, she looks the part and is hot but really I would have preferred Alice Eve in the role.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 07:37 AM   #477
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Just saw the film a second time...and yes I think it's possibly trumped "X2" as my favorite film in the franchise. I do see what people have against January Jones, she looks the part and is hot but really I would have preferred Alice Eve in the role.
Alice Eve vs. January Jones...I really don't think it would have made much of a difference. The character wasn't given anything really to do other than to sit around and look at the interesting things other characters are doing.
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 09:52 AM   #478
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral
 
Lord Prancer The 5th's Avatar
 
Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

As I said before, movies need to be HUGE overseas in order to actually make a profit from foreign ticket sales. According to some articles I read on the subject back in the day, not even 15% of overseas grosses end up in studios' pockets, and as for the domestic grosses, if I remember correctly, when everything that needs to be deducted IS deducted, the studios keep roughly just over one half of it.

With home video and TV it's a whole different story, this is where the studios get a much much bigger cut, and that's why ST XI is a huge success (the DVD/BR sales numbers are quite stellar).
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Lord Prancer The 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 03:01 PM   #479
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Dream wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
You say Star Trek was a hit, even though it only made 257 million domestic against a 150 million budget.
Yeah, it was a hit. It end up making $385,680,446 worldwide. Worldwide numbers are the only thing studios care about. It also ended up reviving a dead movie franchise bringing in new fans.

XMFC will end up doing okay, I can't comment on the quality of the movie since I haven't watched it, but even Wolverine will end up making more than it. I'm just saying it has so far being doing disappointing numbers.
I agree.
For "Super 8" to beat it out IMO shows that X-Men isn't getting the mass repeated viewings.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2011, 10:46 PM   #480
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger
 
OdoWanKenobi's Avatar
 
Location: Ysmault
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

The sad fact is that the general public is burnt out on X-Men, especially with how poor the previous two films were. It's just a shame that this excellent film has to pay for the sins of its predecessors.
__________________
"In Brightest Day, in Blackest Night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power: Green Lantern's light!"
OdoWanKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel, x-men

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.