Star Trek Beyond Adds New Cast Member
By: T'Bonz on Jul 27

Pegg: No Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Stewart Snotbot Support

Ryan Joins Arrow

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 10 2011, 08:45 AM   #61
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you remember joining TrekBBS?

PKTrekGirl

You're right, I probably wouldn't have liked it, but from a memory/nostalgia standpoint, I could have at least said I survived it. Still, after you telling me the specifics, I think it was for the best that I missed that time and came on when the DS9 forum was on it's all time high.
Old June 10 2011, 09:59 AM   #62
cultcross
Say my name...

HoneyBLilly wrote: View Post
I finally remember how I came across this!

I was on a bit of a Voyager kick the last month of my pregnancy, nostalgia of my pre-teen and teen years of watching it, and I remember I was trying to look for something but I came across this forum and I made an account immediately. I lurked for about a week afterwards since I had a newborn to care for and only started posting in earnest this past December, maybe November.

But I've heard about those DS9/VOY feud days, and I for one am very happy I was not here then, I would have been kicked off in a week and I know it. I argue too much, and I am very territorial.
You'll know you've been here too long when the kid succeeds Bonz.
Old June 10 2011, 06:30 PM   #63
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
^make us feel old why don't you. :P
Sorry, it wasn't my intention.
Old June 10 2011, 10:37 PM   #64
judge alba
senior street judge

joined on 7 april 2008 after trying to find some normal people that still liked star trek and somehow found this place. havent really posted much recently though went thruogh a spurt last year.
found this place to be one of the more friendly boards i've visited.
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 10:39 PM   #65
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

PKTrekGirl wrote: View Post
You have probably heard about the rape thread over the years. That was DS9 forum, circa 2001.
Still the most grotesque thread I've ever seen on this board (although the sterilisation and Janeway / Mulgrew-hate crap in Voy run it close). It boggles my mind that people have claimed to miss the cretin who posted it.

Some of the "good ol' days" around here weren't much good at all, really.

Pup 29 Aug 2014 - 30 May 2015
Orac Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 11:07 PM   #66
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I'm old enough to remember 5:31 PM.
Old June 10 2011, 11:22 PM   #67
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Some of the "good ol' days" around here weren't much good at all, really.
I still remember the whole tshrike thing. That got ugly fast.

But yeah, threads were proper and explosive and we were speaking a language of double and triple Bs (does anyone remember when Biller was the alphabetic third wheel to Berman and Braga?)

People were very... passionate, anyway. It feels like when one goes back to Voyager or Enterprise to criticize the series now it's more like nursing an old wound more than anything else.
Old June 11 2011, 12:34 AM   #68
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

It was February 19, 2001. I had been reading TrekToday and Jammer's reviews for a while, but finally found the BBS link over to the right. Christian still poster, Red Quacker was banned every other day, and my first year here was filled with Voyager finale discussion and Enterprise and Nemesis rumors. It was a fun time.
Old June 11 2011, 01:03 AM   #69
Cakemixo
Lieutenant

I remember when I joined, but it's only been a few weeks ago. I found this place because I somehow found the TNG Caption contest. I followed it for more than a month before signing up.
Cakemixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 05:22 AM   #70
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

No, but I'm pretty sure I must have at some point.
Old June 11 2011, 07:16 AM   #71
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I was looking for quality fandom. I had been on the Star Trek One yahoogroup since 2000, with a few long gaps during which my Star Wars love affair was in full swing. This yahoogroup was becoming more and more stagnant as forums took over the net and mailing lists ended up populated only by the old guard. It seemed some days that everyone hated everything new (new being VOY and ENT) and the stodginess of the conversation about the other series was stifling. I needed fresh enthusiasm fandom so I went looking and presumably found this place in about 2 minutes. That was in 2007, have not returned to the yahoogroup in a long time.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 11:02 AM   #72
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

There used to be several sites I would visit pretty much daily for news on books, movies and TV, and TrekToday was one of them. That led me to lurking on the Forums, looking for bits of news or spoilers. Then one day somebody in SF&F asked a question about the Shadow, which I knew the answer to. After he went unanswered for a couple of days, I felt bad for him and registered and responded to his post. I figured that was it, but, once registered, it becomes very easy to reply to stuff and it sort of snowballed after that.
Old June 11 2011, 01:35 PM   #73
Steven
Admiral

March 2003 for me, and the only reason I joined was to get past all those flood-checks when browsing the top threads on the sidebar of TrekToday. I didn't start posting until the fall when I needed distractions from classes.
Old June 12 2011, 05:27 PM   #74
Evil Robert
Admiral

Sweeties, most of you are wee babies still.

Late 2001 I was lurking on the internet looking for spoilers for the final episodes of Voyager (strange to think of a time when you where not blasted with the infomation weeks before the episode aired - let alone in this case, six months after the fact!)

I came across TrekToday from a simple AltaVista search (yes, now that IS OLD) and eventually entered the forums. I had absolutely no idea what forums where frankly and I honestly thought all this chatter was actually semi-professional (okay that one didn't last that long!)

I registered under another username November 2001 but wasn't really that active - heck, several weeks after registering I moved to the otherside of the world from Melbourne, Australia to Salt Lake City, Utah. I think I got to about 170ish posts prior to calling it quits with that name.

In Feb 2002 I registered this name - mainly because I didn't like the old name and frankly, I never have been a big user of psydonyms - I have always like my own name or playful varients of it. I didn't mention it to anybody - cause this was the height of paranoia on the board with trolls and multiple IDs and susannah and Lisa took no priosoners in their moderation style and even a hint of a former past username life would've had Katie's modding stick slam down hard on you.

I became a moderator barely six months later (I'm still not too sure why - but I think it was too do with being a Janewayite - a big plus when the board was ruled by Lisa). I wonder if I still hold the record from registering to becoming a mod? (not counting the initial start up crew in 1999 of course!)

I always had a hands off approach to moderating (read - too lazy to bother about reading the threads half the time) but thankfully Trek Lit was a polite forum mainly and other then one certain annoying poster who I successfully got banned through some very machiavellian tatics on my behalf, it was a pretty peachy forum more or less.

Still after several years (even convincing The Powers That Be to put on a second mod to help me with my 'workload'), I had to admit I had even less interest in Trek Lit then I started with and got moved to a short (but very enjoyable) stint in The Neutral Zone (was that the name of the place? I really struggle to even remember!), then sometime maybe four years ago, it was time for me to accend to a higher level of existance and leave the boards forever.

I will be honest here - my interest in Star Trek has only ever been passing. I enjoyed Voyager - but I will even admit it doens't really hold up to repeat viewing. I never had huge interest in most of the other series (But I learnt how to fake it!). What kept me at this site was the people and forums like Misc and SF&F and the Lounges. It was the interactions that I enjoyed with everybody here.

But one moves on, one gets a real life, but I still have fond memories of the place. Heck I do visit sometimes.

BTW... I LOVED the 05:31PM thread. I am sure it still exists out there somewhere. It was my first big major 'event' on this board, and it felt so fun (and naughty) to be posting on the thread that wouldn't close!

Last edited by Evil Robert; June 12 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Evil Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 05:40 PM   #75
RoJoHen
Awesome

Evil Robert wrote: View Post

I came across TrekToday from a simple AltaVista search (yes, now that IS OLD) and eventually entered the forums. I had absolutely no idea what forums where frankly and I honestly thought all this chatter was actually semi-professional (okay that one didn't last that long!)
AltaVista! I was trying to remember what that was called. All I could remember was that there was a V in it.

Still, I joined a year BEFORE you.