RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,674
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 557
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 6 2011, 10:09 PM   #151
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Naturally we're going to have to same old thing we had when they remastered TOS. It's fine as it, they'll ruin it etc...

Surely the whole point of doing it is

1.>So it's more suitable for HD
2.>It'll preserve it for the future
3.>It'll make even more money in the long term
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2011, 10:34 PM   #152
Butters
Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Naturally we're going to have to same old thing we had when they remastered TOS. It's fine as it, they'll ruin it etc...

Surely the whole point of doing it is

1.>So it's more suitable for HD
2.>It'll preserve it for the future
3.>It'll make even more money in the long term
Agreed. They can't ruin it as the originals will always exist.

Current TV technology makes it look terrible and consequently, its value as an asset diminishes and its appeal to new viewers drops.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2011, 10:44 PM   #153
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

evilnate wrote: View Post

What will be worse than that will be the scene that they'll add back in to BOBW. After Picard has his talk with Guinan in Ten-Forward, we see him walking the passageways of the Enterprise. Riker finds him and then they repeat the scene with Guinan only in a slightly different way. Then Ensign Ro will walk into the scene and look into the camera for no apparent reason.
I wouldn't mind if they added O'Brien to Relics, just a few seconds of him rescuing La Forge and Scotty. It's a shame the ships most famous Irish lad never met the great Scott on screen.

Troi's scene might exist in the valuts too.
Old June 6 2011, 11:04 PM   #154
Harvey
Admiral

SoM wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't see the benefit of just re-mastering some of the episodes -- that might be enough to put on home video, but it wouldn't be enough to widely syndicate. If CBS is going to make the investment of getting a team together to re-scan the negatives and build CGI assets, that's an awfully big investment to make on such a limited prospect as a "Best of" DVD or Blu-Ray.
But as an advance? i.e., they put out DVD/Blu-Ray of, say, BotW/Family and Unification (5 episodes, one - Family - practically a "bottle show" for effects). They then plough that money back into the major remastering effort, with several major assets - the Ent-D model, Borg Cube model, Warbird and some others - now effectively paid for, and some major stock shots fully rendered.
Well, I assume they'll put out the remastered episodes pretty soon after completion, but there's no way that assembling the team and getting the infrastructure together only to do five episodes is the best way for CBS to spend their money. A home video release would take some time after completion to be put together and released. Then, CBS would have to go back to square one and put together everything again. That doesn't sound efficient or cost-effective to me.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2011, 11:08 PM   #155
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps they should jsut go all the way and convert it to 3D. :P Only joking.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2011, 11:19 PM   #156
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

billcosby wrote: View Post
I can't see how they could screw it up. Are there any "Greedo shoots first" moments in TNG?
Darmok, for one. Fire phasers! Uh, from the torpedo tube!

The only downside from that is that it would screw up a really cool looking effect sequence, even though it's technically wrong.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2011, 12:26 AM   #157
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Not that TNG has anything to do with the TOS 50th Anniversary in 2016 September but do you think that it will be 5 full years before TNG is remastered and takes advantage of the marketing for 50th Anniversary of TOS?
That would be a Autumn 2016 release.
Well it wouldn't coincide with STXIII that should come out around 2015 so maybe.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2011, 11:14 AM   #158
Harvey
Admiral

I think it is more likely that they'll tie it to the release of a new feature film in the franchise than an anniversary, given the relative lack of new Trek content. TOS-R was released on Blu-Ray to tie in with Star Trek (2009) after all, with a trailer for the movie in front of the first disc of every season.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 03:43 AM   #159
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
evilnate wrote: View Post

What will be worse than that will be the scene that they'll add back in to BOBW. After Picard has his talk with Guinan in Ten-Forward, we see him walking the passageways of the Enterprise. Riker finds him and then they repeat the scene with Guinan only in a slightly different way. Then Ensign Ro will walk into the scene and look into the camera for no apparent reason.
I wouldn't mind if they added O'Brien to Relics, just a few seconds of him rescuing La Forge and Scotty. It's a shame the ships most famous Irish lad never met the great Scott on screen.

Troi's scene might exist in the valuts too.
See this is exactly what I DON'T want to see, they don't need to change story points. I'm content with similar FX and new ones where the originals were designed primarily to save money, ie, re-used shots, kitbashes, and abandoned ideas.
Old June 11 2011, 03:44 AM   #160
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
billcosby wrote: View Post
I can't see how they could screw it up. Are there any "Greedo shoots first" moments in TNG?
Darmok, for one. Fire phasers! Uh, from the torpedo tube!

The only downside from that is that it would screw up a really cool looking effect sequence, even though it's technically wrong.

Mark
Of course they could also make it better!

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Not that TNG has anything to do with the TOS 50th Anniversary in 2016 September but do you think that it will be 5 full years before TNG is remastered and takes advantage of the marketing for 50th Anniversary of TOS?
That would be a Autumn 2016 release.
Well it wouldn't coincide with STXIII that should come out around 2015 so maybe.
Likely it will finish after that, but it should start airing way before that.
Old June 11 2011, 07:42 AM   #161
Oso Blanco
Commodore

In don't want to see new FX. Don't want them in TOS, don't want them in TNG, don't want them in any other Trek series.
Old June 11 2011, 07:58 AM   #162
Skywalker
Admiral

I guess you don't want any Trek to be suitable for rebroadcast in the future, then.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 11:05 AM   #163
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I guess you don't want any Trek to be suitable for rebroadcast in the future, then.
There must be other ways to accomplish that. Messing up TNG like they did TOS is neither acceptable nor necessary. I'm sure they could do a decent upscaling job that would satisfy the viewers.

And even they are not HD, then they are not ... where is the problem? People are still watching old black and white movies, so why shouldn't they watch Trek in SD? Personally I'd rather watch it super low resolution than ruined with new fx.

Sacrificing the original TNG (or TOS or whatever) for HD is like trading pest for cholera, so they might as well stay with the original.
Old June 11 2011, 09:29 PM   #164
Butters
Captain

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
And even they are not HD, then they are not ... where is the problem? People are still watching old black and white movies, so why shouldn't they watch Trek in SD? Personally I'd rather watch it super low resolution than ruined with new fx.

Sacrificing the original TNG (or TOS or whatever) for HD is like trading pest for cholera, so they might as well stay with the original.
Its only ruined if they do it badly, and I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt and look optimistically forward to a whole new TNG experience. If I'm wrong and they fuck it up, my money is spent on wine. Their loss.

I don't see that there's anything to be afraid of here.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 11:06 PM   #165
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
There must be other ways to accomplish that. Messing up TNG like they did TOS is neither acceptable nor necessary. I'm sure they could do a decent upscaling job that would satisfy the viewers.

THE TOS-R was highly successful both critically and with sales, STNG well never look HD and never be ready for Bluray without a remastering. Your qualms are not even issue, it HAS to be done, or STNG will never be on bluray or any other format...just like TOS-R.

RAMA