Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 10 2011, 10:15 PM   #16
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Re: What Hath Netflix Wrought?!

So...watched Girls Bravo yet?
Old June 10 2011, 10:35 PM   #17
Scout101
Admiral

Am a Netflix user, but really don't like the interface. Old one OR the new one. Honestly, while the Blockbuster service wasn't as great, the actual interface was much better. Also had sortable categories that made sense for what I was looking for: Releasing this week, next week, as well as In Theaters, so I could add things to my queue when I was thinking about them and have them show up when they came out.

The netflix system is an irritating POS. Honestly, i usually log into my blockbuster account (inactive), run my searches, and then type the names into Netflix manually. Not exactly ideal...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 10:47 PM   #18
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I figured most web designers, like yourself Owain, would take a look at the new site and wonder just how the hell a user is supposed to navigate through everything.
Yeah, that's what you'd think. Sometimes I wonder if the designers ever end up using the websites they design. I'm not even a professional designer, yet I tend to see these things as I've self-taught myself at an early enough age, so design mistakes pop right out at me. Mainly the main reason why sites like these get redesigned like they do is due to what I like to call executive intervention. Sometimes it's not even a designer's decision, but rather an executive who has a bright idea on paper, which might not be such a great design philosophy, and then has the design passed on to the designer where it's up to them to implement, whichever way they see fit. Sometimes, I guess it can be a bit like a marketing group trying to come up with ideas where it's not a single person doing the job. Point is, that the person doing the actual designing doesn't always know or follow the design guidelines, and the end result is getting something like that Netflix redesign. Because an executive had something in mind and they want to see it achieved no matter what. I've often had people request things to be designed a certain way without knowing if it's possible or not to design it the way they want it. It's a bit like having someone who knows nothing about designing a house telling a designer how it should be designed. The house itself might look like it was designed by a kid in the end. To that end, that's exactly what it looks like happened in the case of the Netflix site. It looks like an executive wanted the site redesigned in a way they thought looked good and wanted their designers to implement the design, despite the fact that it removes some key usability points. I feel I stare at that website and wonder where my eyes should go, which isn't a good thing. At the same time, there's also the issue that a site can also be too sparsely designed. There's a website I visit from time to time that has gotten a redesign, only I feel like it's almost empty, to the point of not knowing where to go for the things I want. Then again, maybe it's because I've expected things to be too complicated.

23skidoo wrote:
I'm a trained journalist, and I see a similar thing with these amateur news blogs. People think just because they can design a website or write news stories that they actually CAN design a website or write news stories. Just as competent journalists have to abide by the rules regarding libel and the use of reliable sources for information, so too there are design rules for layout - print or digital - that need to be followed otherwise it creates a mess.

Alex

Ahh, yeah, the blog. See, the thing isn't so much the blog itself, but rather the way it's used. The blog originally was meant as a diary for people to have a place to write but and have a little corner for themselves for friends to follow if they wanted. I don't think it was ever meant to be used professionally. But like you say, that voice comes out and people tend to feel like they can write like journalists. Heck, I've even done it myself, I fully admit. The blog itself though? I think it breaks several design rules, but it also became popular after my webdesign course in college, so I can't really complain. Things evolve. I've recently helped convert my astronomy club's website to a blog format, not so much to be a blog, but for it to be easier to update and be more active and dynamic. I think that it serves the purpose as a content management system. So, design first, content second in this case.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 10:47 PM   #19
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I have noticed when websites change they almost always wreck things or make it more difficult for no real reason.
Indeed. That's what it feels like here. It feels like replacing function with form.

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
himm...might need to call netflix and express my displeasure...
If it bothers you, then you should. I have.

23skidoo wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
I have noticed when websites change they almost always wreck things or make it more difficult for no real reason.
[Old man voice] I've been surfing the Internets since 1996 [/Old man voice] and in all that time I've never come across a so-called "improvement" to a website that has actually been an improvement. I've always found myself with lost functionality and lost efficiency. I get the feeling these changes are made by people who want to justify why they're being paid $50,000 a year, and for no other reason.

My only suggestion is bitch and complain as loudly as possible to Netflix. Websites have caved before. Huffington Post launched a new interface last week for Canadian IP addresses that forced us to view only the Canadian version of the site. People condemned it so loudly they made major changes within a few hours, most notably giving users the ability to toggle between the US and Canadian versions. And it's become something of a joke how Facebook often caves under pressure when it introduces a boneheaded "improvement".

But unlike Huffington and Facebook, Netflix relies on your money - tell them they won't be seeing any more of your money and they'll change things back (or do what Yahoo Groups did when it faced a mass mutiny when it changed its interface and give people the option).
I don't know if it will make a difference, though. Netflix is so ginormous that even if 200,000 people called, that would just be 1% of their total membership.

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
That's basically the same interface they've been using on PS3 for awhile.
That's what a lot of PS3 owners are saying. It looks like the design is similar to Roku's API as well.

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Coming on the heels of the terrible new PS3 UI-after 5 months of slowly releasing it to console users, it was rolled out in full 3 weeks ago, this website redo is a serious step backwards. I'm not opposed to change, but the change has to make things better than before, not worse. I had a really cool UI (on the PS3)...The queue and various genres were viewable on single pages, easy to find content and explore for things not in your queue. Now I'm stuck scrolling across in a single line, and scrolling too fast will freeze the app, forcing a reboot of the console. Both the new PS3 app and the website redesign, as stated by others, take away functionality and ease of use.

For that, both changes are epic Fails.
Amen.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My Netflix hasn't changed.
They've only applied it to the "Watch Instantly" section at this point. For those of us who have the streaming only service (I switched about 5 months ago), we're neck deep in fuzzy, blurry movie covers without rhyme or reason.

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
It's easier to deal with on the Playstation with the controller, but yeah I wish they would have left it alone.
Other than streamlining for API, there's no reason for them to change it, and even if API was the primary factor, they could have at least added more detail for the site interface. This is just silly.

IndyJones wrote: View Post
Honestly the lack of any main focal points is making my eyes cross.
Yes. Many members are reporting nausea when they look at the site for more than a minute.

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
So...watched Girls Bravo yet?
Nope. I don't have it in my Instant Queue, either. What you're looking at is the "Recommended" page. There is no order to the layout. None.

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Am a Netflix user, but really don't like the interface. Old one OR the new one. Honestly, while the Blockbuster service wasn't as great, the actual interface was much better. Also had sortable categories that made sense for what I was looking for: Releasing this week, next week, as well as In Theaters, so I could add things to my queue when I was thinking about them and have them show up when they came out.

The netflix system is an irritating POS. Honestly, i usually log into my blockbuster account (inactive), run my searches, and then type the names into Netflix manually. Not exactly ideal...
And you shouldn't have to do that. You'd think Netflix could manage to find a way to better organize their movies after the 10+ years they've been in existence. When your web presence is your primary presence in the business world, you'd think they'd want to present the best foot forward.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I figured most web designers, like yourself Owain, would take a look at the new site and wonder just how the hell a user is supposed to navigate through everything.
Yeah, that's what you'd think. Sometimes I wonder if the designers ever end up using the websites they design. I'm not even a professional designer, yet I tend to see these things as I've self-taught myself at an early enough age, so design mistakes pop right out at me. Mainly the main reason why sites like these get redesigned like they do is due to what I like to call executive intervention. Sometimes it's not even a designer's decision, but rather an executive who has a bright idea on paper, which might not be such a great design philosophy, and then has the design passed on to the designer where it's up to them to implement, whichever way they see fit. Sometimes, I guess it can be a bit like a marketing group trying to come up with ideas where it's not a single person doing the job. Point is, that the person doing the actual designing doesn't always know or follow the design guidelines, and the end result is getting something like that Netflix redesign. Because an executive had something in mind and they want to see it achieved no matter what. I've often had people request things to be designed a certain way without knowing if it's possible or not to design it the way they want it. It's a bit like having someone who knows nothing about designing a house telling a designer how it should be designed. The house itself might look like it was designed by a kid in the end.
A lot of us are asking the reviewers who say it provides "easier access to find great movies" whether they've actually used the site as of yet. The redesign makes it much harder to browse for new and different movies.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2011, 11:37 PM   #20
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

A lot of us are asking the reviewers who say it provides "easier access to find great movies" whether they've actually used the site as of yet. The redesign makes it much harder to browse for new and different movies.

Sometimes these things can actually be paid for. If it looks like an editorial but it's coming off like like an advertisement, it likely is. Case in point, just last night I was reading an article about Forza 4 on Jalopnik, when it was revealed that they were in partnership with them. It read exactly like an advertisement. Not to say it's a bad thing, as sometimes it's done in better ways without seeming like an advertisement, but they're usually pretty easy to notice when they aren't objective.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; June 11 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old June 11 2011, 12:16 AM   #21
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
That's basically the same interface they've been using on PS3 for awhile.
I've always added things to my queue on the PC and then watched them on the PS3 so it wasn't such a big deal.

It's a pain not being able to easily see all the new releases and stuff.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 12:56 AM   #22
Snaploud
Admiral

Yikes...what an awful user interface...
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 05:47 AM   #23
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Sometimes these things can actually be paid for. If it looks like an editorial but it's coming off like like an advertisement, it likely is. Case in point, just last night I was reading an article about Forza 4 on Jalopnik, when it was revealed that they were in partnership with them. It read exactly like an advertisement. Not to say it's a bad thing, as sometimes it's done in better ways without seeming like an advertisement, but they're usually pretty easy to notice when they aren't objective.
Yeah, there are some obvious ones right off the bat when searching around on Google, where they extol the virtues of the new interface, and complete ignore the now 2500 complaints (over two days) on the Netflix Community blog.

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Yikes...what an awful user interface...
Seconded, "Hail Mary"-ed and "Amen"-ed.
Old June 11 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Honestly from my experinece on the PS3, Netflix has always had a poor interface.
Old June 11 2011, 02:49 PM   #25
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

HATES IT!!!! HATES IT!!!!
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 06:51 AM   #26
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Honestly from my experinece on the PS3, Netflix has always had a poor interface.
True, but it was much more searchable than it is now. Now it's like taking someone's pencil, giving them a large black marker, and telling them it will be a lot easier to write their letters now.

1001001 wrote: View Post

HATES IT!!!! HATES IT!!!!
So far, every web designer I've spoken with on the new UI hates it, and thinks it's an absurd, dumbed down and plodding interface.
Old June 12 2011, 09:20 PM   #27
Data Holmes
Admiral

I wonder if this interface has anything to do with the impending realese of Apple's new OS's.

OS X Lion is out in a month, iOS 5 is out in the fall. I wonder if these changes are because of better integration with apple products. Especially when you look at the close integration of twitter into iOS, and the signs that Facebook may be getting the same treatment, I wonder if apple has lined up Netflix for closer integration and they've upgraded their sight for it.
Old June 12 2011, 09:27 PM   #28
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I wonder if this interface has anything to do with the impending realese of Apple's new OS's.

OS X Lion is out in a month, iOS 5 is out in the fall. I wonder if these changes are because of better integration with apple products. Especially when you look at the close integration of twitter into iOS, and the signs that Facebook may be getting the same treatment, I wonder if apple has lined up Netflix for closer integration and they've upgraded their sight for it.

Hmmm, I don't know, but it would strike me as an ill-advised move. Why alienate more than half your users by switching to an interface that's hard to navigate? The whole problem with the site is a lack of interface feedback. I see it a lot of times, and it's not something that integration can fix. It'll look bad no matter which OS it's on. I could see maybe a front-end, sure, or maybe even a redirect to a different version of the site, but on the main version of a site that many people rely on in order to use the service? Shot in the foot, I tell you.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; June 12 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old June 12 2011, 09:53 PM   #29
Data Holmes
Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post

Hmmm, I don't know, but it would strike me as an ill-advised move. Why alienate more than half your users by switching to an interface that's hard to navigate? The whole problem with the site is a lack of interface feedback. I see it a lot of times, and it's not something that integration can fix. It'll look bad no matter which OS it's on. I could see maybe a front-end, sure, or maybe even a redirect to a different version of the site, but on the main version of a site that many people rely on in order to use the service? Shot in the foot, I tell you.
I was just thinking that might be the cause for some UI changes, Lion has expanded the use of touch, and they are really pushing the magic pad as an included accessory with all the new macs.
Old June 12 2011, 10:03 PM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Gah! Well I always hit the Your Queue tab immediately, so I haven't really noticed the change...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote