Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 4 2011, 11:39 PM   #61
Starkers
Admiral

Re: BBC Original British Drama

Well the last ep of The Shadow Line...crikey!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 07:02 PM   #62
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The Shadow Line just continues to blow me away - literally, this week, with the Glickman/Gatehouse confrontation. Only two episodes left, but we're promised answers this week!

Also, I don't recall if it had a thread of its own or not (and it's not really drama), but I have also bloody loved Psychoville 2. Why they felt the need to move the final episode forward 3 days just for Mock the bloody Week I don't understand, but it was spot on. Okay, the returning character came from nowhere really, but I can buy it.

I'd also like to think the mysterious driver in the car park in PV was Gatehouse
Old June 8 2011, 11:54 AM   #63
Starkers
Admiral

Gatehouse Vs Glickman was both cool and a trifle silly all at the same time. I'm loving this show though!

Old June 8 2011, 11:57 AM   #64
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Inspired by the quality and complexity of The Shadow Line we rewatched State of Play this week.

TSL would seem to be a natural successor, there's not a great deal between them in terms of quality - both fantastic.
Old June 10 2011, 09:24 AM   #65
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

So it looks like Luther starts Tuesday and it's gone from 2 feature length episodes to 4 one hour episodes.
Old June 10 2011, 09:30 AM   #66
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

So the penultimate ep of The Shadow Line has been and gone and the body count still piles up in a most impressive manner. Who's placing bets on the winner? Will it be Gabriel? Will it be Gatehouse? or will it be the utterly sleazoid police commissioner? Still a great show and still, for me, completely unpredictable, except we all knew Gatehouse was gonna git his assassin, didn't we?

Also Case Histories is really very good, so if you haven't been watching it, catch up. Next ep is on Sunday.
Old June 10 2011, 10:00 AM   #67
Starkers
Admiral

The Shadow Line has veered perilously close to parody at time the last few weeks, but has managed to stay just the right side of it (seriously if Gatehouse is revealed to be a Terminator I wouldn't be that surprised).

I guessed

I seriously wonder how many people are going to be left alive by the end, and yeah what's great about it is that it's in no way predictable for most of the time, except like you say it was pretty obvious what was going to happen in hopsital.

Old June 10 2011, 10:15 AM   #68
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Still not caught up with The Shadow Line, going to need to catch up soon.
Old June 10 2011, 11:14 AM   #69
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Starkers wrote: View Post
The Shadow Line has veered perilously close to parody at time the last few weeks, but has managed to stay just the right side of it (seriously if Gatehouse is revealed to be a Terminator I wouldn't be that surprised).

I guessed

I seriously wonder how many people are going to be left alive by the end, and yeah what's great about it is that it's in no way predictable for most of the time, except like you say it was pretty obvious what was going to happen in hopsital.
I wondered at the enormous cast at the beginning of the run but the novel way the writers have dealt with that has solved it. I'm worried about Joe Bede now. It's strange when an out and out villain gets everyone's sympathy vote.

I sincerely hope sleazoid police commissioner is added to the body count before the end but I suspect he'll emerge squeaky clean.
Old June 10 2011, 11:36 AM   #70
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah I'm worried about Jospeh as well, I think he's either going to die or we're looking at a Godfather situation here and he's going to reluctantly end up having to assume Ratten's mantle permanantly.

I really like the guy who plays the commisioner as an actor, he veers from sleezy to scary quite well and he's also very good as the comedy dad in the Sarah Jane Adventures!!

Old June 11 2011, 12:50 AM   #71
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post
Yeah I'm worried about Jospeh as well, I think he's either going to die or we're looking at a Godfather situation here and he's going to reluctantly end up having to assume Ratten's mantle permanantly.

I really like the guy who plays the commisioner as an actor, he veers from sleezy to scary quite well and he's also very good as the comedy dad in the Sarah Jane Adventures!!
I know the commissioner from band of gold,he played a sleazy pimp.
Just read that Stephen Rea first role was on crossroads, well they all have to start somewhere.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2011, 06:51 AM   #72
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

I've watched 2 more episodes now. So got 3 more to catch up with before the final one next week.
Old June 17 2011, 09:32 AM   #73
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Good grief. Well it doesn't pull any punches. Overall I'd say The Shadow Line was unique in many ways and very well done. It's not often we get to watch a drama where the story not only takes centre stage but completely overshadows the characters in it. There were a few niggles, like Gatehouse's penchant for toying with his victims in some kind of psychological experiment. He only very rarely resisted the temptation to do this. It was a dramatic device, like Bond villains insisting on telling Bond the evil plot before sending him to his death, but it was overdone. There's a reveal at the end which is frankly ridiculous. You'll know what I mean. Aside from that, a terrific ride.
Old June 17 2011, 09:39 AM   #74
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Was the last episode on last night? I'm up to episode 6 on my watch. Oh, 7 is on my recorder, I'll watch that later. Then I have to watch Luther, too. Too busy reading to have watched that yet.
Old June 17 2011, 09:41 AM   #75
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Personally, loved it. Dark endings always work for me.

This AND Luther - British drama's looking pretty good at the moment.