Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

I have lost the 3 of 10 lbs I want to lose though like usual I get bored of the exercise and I stop. but I will try to contuine.

2. John O.

John O. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I forgot to mention this before but I need a little advice.

I'm kind of up against a wall on deadlift because I feel like I could lift more but I can't keep a grip on it. I could try it without my gloves but I've grown really accustomed to using them. I'm stick at about 230-240, I try 250 and I am just so afraid it's gonna slip right out of my hands - in fact the moment I take it off the bar it starts to slip.

It feels like it's not leg/lower back strength issue, like I just can't keep a grip. Anyone got advice on tightening grip? I already use an over/under grip because an over/over doesn't last but seconds, even on lighter weight.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Have you considered using wrist straps? I know it's not the best way to strengthen grip, but my deadlifts improved dramatically when I started using them.

4. John O.

I have those gloves that have them included but it doesn't seem to affect it... this is really a matter of my fingers staying clasped, unrelated to my wrists.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

6. Thena

Thena Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So much for not overdoing it for the first week. On my third hike of the week, I wanted to see how the river looked after heavy rain the night before. It was a really enjoyable hike with lots of small streams and waterfalls before getting to the main river (which actually overflowed its banks and cut off access to the last part of the trail). However, I ended up hiking for about an hour instead of my planned 20 minutes and the return trip was almost entirely uphill. At least I'll have a few days to recover before my next hike.

I've also been doing some research on insulin resistance, which is a problem I've been dealing with. Some of the studies recommend weightlifting in addition to aerobic exercise on its own. I figure it couldn't hurt, so I picked up some resistance bands and added some light strengthening exercises on the days when I'm not hiking.

7. John O.

Oh so THAT'S how those are supposed to work! I genuinely didn't know. I wonder if there's a way to implement mine that way. Maybe I've been wearing them wrong the whole time, I thought the long strap was just to secure my wrist in a straight line sort of like a splint - maybe I was supposed to wrap it around the bar the whole time.

It's reassuring to know I may've been wearing them wrong because they were never friggin comfortable! :lol:

Incidentally, new max today - 240 decline bench! :)

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nah, I'm guessing you just have gloves with extra thick wrist straps, in which case you're wearing them right. I have a pair of those, too.

However, for deadlifts, I wear my other pair straps that I wrap around the bar. It takes a great deal of pressure off of my grip and allows me to focus on what the exercise is intended for.

9. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Fuck gloves, I like my calluses. ;)

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Me too. I don't wear my gloves anymore, but I have them nonetheless..

11. John O.

Do 230 pullups in one day and then talk to me :lol: nah that's what I got them for originally, though. Doing 75 or 100 pullups a day on a checkered bar, you don't get calluses, cuz your hands need time to heal to actually get calluses, I just had raw hands.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have noticed a direct relationship between the awesomeness of my workouts and the thickness of my beard. When I grow a full beard, my workouts are fantastic. I think it's because I look like more of a badass when I look in the mirror.

13. Scrambo

Scrambo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

does physio exercises count - its quite intensive.

Have to go to gym 3x a week for exercises to try and strengthen quad and hamstring muscles in left leg due to muscle wasting from locked knee for 4months and so the lovely nhs can save money in trying to avoid a further op.

Then there's the home exercises i do on the days im not at the gym.

14. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

I have found a new exercise program. Its supposed to be very tough and it will test my limits once I really get going.

1. Regular Push-ups: 10
    2. Regular Sit-ups: 10
    3. Wide Push-ups: 10
    4. Reverse Crunches: 10
    5. Tricep Push-ups: 10
    6. Double Crunches: 10

I am supposed to repeat this exercise cycle 5-10 times. The goal would be to eventually do it 10-15 times repeated.
    Where I got this from didn't say anything about resting between days.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

What exactly is a Tricep Pushup?

16. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Form a triangle with your hands below your chest and do a push-up. Your elbows should go straight back. It's hard, something that takes pratice.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ah. I always called those Diamond Pushups.

18. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Yeah thats another term for it.

19. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty confident you will be putting in rest days somewhere there.

20. KJbushway

KJbushway Commodore

Why? The program never said anything about it. Its a military workout, I don't think waiting between days is part of their program.