Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6 2011, 09:57 PM   #211
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

^

I don't remember a scene that had Charles & Mystique together in any of the three movies.
Old June 6 2011, 10:02 PM   #212
HoneyBLilly
Commodore

They didn't have one.

X-Men: Charles was unconscious when Mystique showed up.

X2: She was standing at the door as Magneto was getting him to kill the humans and when they got him out Magneto, Mystique, and Pyro had already left.

The Last Stand: Turned into a human.
Old June 6 2011, 10:13 PM   #213
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I have to catch up with everything here.

I do also agree that Angel was one of the main problems with the film. Really actually an unnecessary point. Too 21st Century and poorly handled. That, Darwin's misuse, and actually Havoc. I'm glad more time was spent on the bigger players, but some of the lesser mutants weren't even needed. Heck, the recruitment and training montages could have been longer and it could have been assumed there were more kids at the mansion in training for as much thought was given to Angel.

And all those people who thought I was erroneously Fassbender obsessed or insane for wanting him as Bond. Ha! Man, I wish there was merchandise for this movie!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2011, 10:31 PM   #214
The Wormhole
Admiral

It's definately an enjoyable movie. Mind you, it doesn't really fit in with the continuity of the previous X-Men movies. Certain things like:

-Xavier's injurry during the final battle being what requires him to go in the wheelchair, despite the fact that we saw him walking in the flashback in X3 and his cameo in Wolverine.
-Xavier and Magneto split at the end and Magneto turns villain, despite the X3 flashback shows them working together as recently as 20 years prior.
-Xavier and Mystique is one of those things that doesn't really contradict anything, but also just doesn't fit. They were so close growing up, and indeed there didn't really seem to be any bad blood between them when she chose to join Magneto, so why does she so willingly poison him in the first movie?

Still, these issues aside it's a pretty entertaining movie and it is kind of cool seeing an alternate take of the Cuban missile crisis.
Old June 6 2011, 10:49 PM   #215
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Now that we've seen the movie, anybody know which scene was reshot due to it originally being too similar to Inception's antigravity fight scene involving JGL?
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2011, 11:30 PM   #216
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I saw the film last night and absolutely loved it. Working on writing my review and will probably post it later in the week if things are too hectic. I'm seeing this again next weekend. The score was brilliant, McAvoy and Fassbender are the heart and soul of this movie and you get why Singer is so fascinated with their character's dynamic. These two were perfectly cast. I loved Kevin Bacon's Shaw. The cinematography and direction were incredibly. I thought Vaughn executed Singer's vision perfectly while still being able to retain his own directorial style. The score is incredibly addictive This film makes me incredibly sad that we were never able to see Singer or Vaughn's version of The Last Stand because I feel like either of them would have been able to make an incredible movie. This is my favorite film of the year so far. Oh and I loved the Logan cameo. I thought it fit perfectly and didn't feel forced at all.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 12:23 AM   #217
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
-Xavier's injurry during the final battle being what requires him to go in the wheelchair, despite the fact that we saw him walking in the flashback in X3 and his cameo in Wolverine.
I guess this is a case of simply choosing to ignore X3.
-Xavier and Magneto split at the end and Magneto turns villain, despite the X3 flashback shows them working together as recently as 20 years prior.
-Xavier and Mystique is one of those things that doesn't really contradict anything, but also just doesn't fit. They were so close growing up, and indeed there didn't really seem to be any bad blood between them when she chose to join Magneto, so why does she so willingly poison him in the first movie?
These two can easily be chalked up to the notion that "a lot of things can happen in 40+ years."
Old June 7 2011, 01:44 AM   #218
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Raven/Mystique's defection made sense to me.... Mystique's defection made sense to the only person between Charles, Hank, and Erik who was helping her realize her "true self" and wasn't bothered by her real appearance was was Erik. So of course she'd choose to follow him.
It made sense to me, but I didn't feel it. We all knew where she was going to end up, and the film explained why, but didn't really take me on the journey - it just showed me the map.

KB24 wrote: View Post
I do also agree that Angel was one of the main problems with the film. Really actually an unnecessary point. Too 21st Century and poorly handled.
I really wondered why she was there at all... until the dogfight at the end, which was pretty awesome. They paired off Banshee & Angel, Beast and Azazael quite nicely in the final sequence.

That, Darwin's misuse, and actually Havoc. I'm glad more time was spent on the bigger players, but some of the lesser mutants weren't even needed.
Darwin was clearly just there to die. His powers are lame, he raises the stakes... I'm fine with it. (I have no prior knowledge or attachment to the character - and he had a fairly heroic and cool death scene!)

Heck, the recruitment and training montages could have been longer and it could have been assumed there were more kids at the mansion in training for as much thought was given to Angel.
Angel's only piece of characterization was "I don't like how those men are looking at me" - agreed. She needed more - not tons more, just a little. Like in X1, Magneto's 5 min intro gives him all the motivation he needs. Maybe a few minutes of her being degraded at the strip joint, or ... something that tells us where her head is during all this.

I can't believe I'm typing it, but the training montage was awesome.

Let me ask this again -
If Erik has spent his life tracking the mutants who killed his family, doesn't it undercut the idea that he's reacting to persecution from humans? That he spends his life believing he's defending mutants from humans?
Old June 7 2011, 02:05 AM   #219
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I liked X3 Beast too - he was probably the best thing in the movie, although I also liked the general group dynamic in the final fight too. X3 would have been far better if they had eased gently into the Dark Phoenix story and made the B plot her seduction by the Hellfire club instead of just letting her gurn her way through the movie. A real waste of Famke - she hardly wore any black leather in the entire movie.
I definitely agree with this post. Grammer was a great Beast and a perfect piece of casting. The action was very good and the team they had (Wolverine, Storm, Shadowcat, Colussus, Beast, and Iceman was a good one.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 02:07 AM   #220
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I think this film gives us hints of what a Bryan Singer or Matthew Vaughn directed X3 would have been like.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 02:12 AM   #221
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

In the comics, Xavier didn't exactly have a perfect childhood as he was abused by his stepbrother, Cain Marko (Juggernaut), and stepfather. Seeing as Juggernaut wasn't really linked to Charles Xavier in X-Men 3, I can understand why Xavier's upbringing was quite different in the movies.
Charles does mention having a stepfather to Havok (he put in the bomb shelter in the mansion) although Juggernaut is not in the picture.
Old June 7 2011, 03:21 AM   #222
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yassim wrote: View Post

Darwin was clearly just there to die. His powers are lame, he raises the stakes... I'm fine with it. (I have no prior knowledge or attachment to the character - and he had a fairly heroic and cool death scene!)
His death scene bothered me because it contradicted his power.

"I adapt to survive."

Well, apparently not.
Old June 7 2011, 03:37 AM   #223
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

On one hand, I was okay with it, 'cause they showed him tryin' to deal with the energy that was put into him a couple of different ways, so his power was at work at the time.

On the other hand, while it was happenin', I could just hear my friends' voices in my head, screamin', "Oh, sure, kill the black man!!!"
Old June 7 2011, 03:46 AM   #224
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yassim wrote: View Post

His death scene bothered me because it contradicted his power.

"I adapt to survive."

Well, apparently not.
It's the age old "This is how powerful the villain is, by showing him take down the biggest and strongest".

In this case, Darwin is the toughest to kill, therefore the most dangerous. By his very nature he can't die. How do you absolutely show that Shaw is not to be messed with? Have him (not his henchmen) kill the unkillable.

And then get that to motivate the youngins, who, up until that point, weren't taking things as serious as they should.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2011, 04:06 AM   #225
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

On one hand, I was okay with it, 'cause they showed him tryin' to deal with the energy that was put into him a couple of different ways, so his power was at work at the time.

On the other hand, while it was happenin', I could just hear my friends' voices in my head, screamin', "Oh, sure, kill the black man!!!"
Yeah, I admit I was thinking "Of course they killed the black guy" too. I thought the guy who played Darwin did a good job with his screen time and I agree that it was an effective way to put over strong, dangerous, and evil Shaw was.