MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 4 2011, 06:33 PM   #91
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

This is looking more and more like a reboot.
Old June 4 2011, 06:45 PM   #92
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

More or less, but after exiting the theater I thought "who fucking cares?"

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 07:55 PM   #93
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Matthew Vaughn instructed the cast to do away with all accents in their performances. James McAvoy had planned to copy Patrick Stewart's voice (since McAvoy was going to play a younger version of Stewart's Xavier), but Vaughn quashed it; Vaughn also told Rose Byrne that Moira MacTaggart would not have her trademark Scottish accent in the film (to the Scottish McAvoy's mild disappointment).
Source
So it's the director's fault. Bastard!!!
Considering they've always fucked up Prof X's accent (the character being American), it's a bit late to start complaining about lack of attention to detail in that regards. But it does show a lack of respect on the directors' part for the integrity of the characters.

Looks like the opening is a bit soft. Doesn't surprise me - there are just too many comic book (and comic book-like) movies jostling around each summer, and the ones that don't have an obvious reason to go see them will get lost.

There's no big hook to this movie to get people into the theater. The X-Men movies to date didn't create some huge curiosity to see their origins. Who really cares where or why they came about? None of the actors are big draws. It's an easy movie to ignore.

I personally can't see either McAvoy as Prof X or Fassbinder as Magneto, although they might be perfectly good actors for other roles. As a longtime X-Men comics fan, I just don't recognize the characters as they've been presented in the movies, and the trend has been getting worse as the series goes along.

For X-Men to have a Bond-like atmosphere (if true) is just completely wrong for the story. The comics in the 60s never had anything Bond-like about them. They were far too serious for that.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 08:07 PM   #94
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ You Post this Temis...and yet the reactions in this thread would totally disagree with you. I'm not surprised the box office intake so far is on the small side. I predicted months ago (not in any thread) that this would probably take in around $50 million in it's opening weekend and if it was a critical success (which is seems to be so far) it would continue to grow. This will be a word of mouth movie.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 08:16 PM   #95
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

This is the best X movie. Gave it an A. Definitely worth seeing.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 08:38 PM   #96
Wereghost
Commodore

Saw it today. I rate it an A. Great escapist nonsense with a socially relevant theme. McAvoy and Fassbender were great, with the latter practically stealing the show even if Mags seems to have learnt English in Northern Ireland . Mystique and the Beast were great additions; wish they'd given the latter a few more polysyllabic words though. Other than that, I also really liked the scene where Banshee starts learning to fly. It's always a pleasure when a familiar comic book character is realised well on screen. Good thing they made him American, too; the comic book version's speech patterns are a little off.

Last edited by Wereghost; June 4 2011 at 09:32 PM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 09:27 PM   #97
paudemge
Captain

I really enjoyed this movie, this is my favorite X-men movie yet.
I do have a question , I used to read xmen a long time ago and I only remember Emma Frost being a telepath, did she ever gain the 'diamond' skin power in the comics?
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 09:29 PM   #98
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Emma's diamond form is directly from the comics. Grant Morrison gave it to her at the start of his New X-Men run.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 09:36 PM   #99
paudemge
Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Emma's diamond form is directly from the comics. Grant Morrison gave it to her at the start of his New X-Men run.
Well, its been awhile since i've read xmen, or any comics for that matter. Although I do have a lot of older ones, i'm not up to speed on anything from about the mid 90's up.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 09:44 PM   #100
captcalhoun
Admiral

Banshee's accent should be Irish, not Scottish, Admiral.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 10:19 PM   #101
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Speaking of accents, maybe it was just me, but did it seem that Fassbender's accent changed towards the end of the movie? For the most part he had a English accent more or less. But it just seemed when he was talking near the end (ie. the beach scenes) it sounded more like he had an American twang.

I'll probably see it again sometime soon, can't stop watching the trailer, so good.
"You ready for this?"
"Let's find out!"
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2011, 12:14 AM   #102
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I'm not really an X-Men fan but I did find the film enjoyable.

Things that did not make sense to me:

1) Why did Xavier mind wipe Moira? Did he think she would betray him in some way? What was the point. All that did was effectively discredit her for her superiors.

2) Why exactly did the US and Russians suddenly get all buddy buddy and decide to kill the mutants on the beach? That actually made no sense...and in the context of the Cold War actually makes even less sense. The US government discovers that mutants exist. it hires some of them...who show that they have the ability to find other mutants and recruit them into working for the US government. They put them into the field, they stop a war and then that same government decides to KILL THEIR OWN AGENTS FOR NO REASON. They had not gone rogue, they'd proven their value in the field by successfully infiltrating the Soviet Union...yet they turn on them for no reason. That plot development needed to be fleshed out more. I get that in the Marvel universe people think superpowers are scary instead of cool...but this was just illogical.

3) How is Xavier "hiding" by opening a school at his FAMILY HOME?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2011, 12:31 AM   #103
Wereghost
Commodore

Ethros wrote: View Post
Speaking of accents, maybe it was just me, but did it seem that Fassbender's accent changed towards the end of the movie? For the most part he had a English accent more or less. But it just seemed when he was talking near the end (ie. the beach scenes) it sounded more like he had an American twang.
American, Northern Irish and more than a hint of English imo. Perhaps Erik's been quite the globetrotter. (Fassbender is Geman-N.Irish, btw.)
Old June 5 2011, 12:33 AM   #104
Pauln6
Commodore

I was apprehensive but the movie turned out to be very good. It does play around with the characters' histories a bit but nothing too offensive. Marvel has always played it a bit loose with character ages but I think Storm, Cyclops, and Jean in X1 were meant to be a fair bit older than their comic versions. If Storm was alive in '62 then she would be 40+ in X1. Thus, making Havok 10 years older than the version of Scott we see really isn't a terrible stretch. Gambit must be quite old too following his appearance in Wolverine.

I felt that the Beast had a nice, self-enclosed arc in X3 to the point where they wouldn't need to use him again, so using him in the prequel worked really well. Nightcrawler's story clearly isn't done though considering their choice of characters in the prequel. Banshee and Havok's training was handled well.

Moira was the strangest one for me. It looked like her part was written for Carol Danvers and then at the last minute they bunged in Moira instead. Of all of them, she has definitely aged the best in X3, unless you include Emma Frost, who seemed about ten years younger in Wolverine... If the use Emma again I'm sure they will hand wave away the fact that she should be about sixty. If they don't, I really hope she starts to moderate her outfits...

I'd still prefer to see X4 (I'd hate to see classic plots ending up in the past) but I admit that the prequel franchise has legs too.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2011, 12:38 AM   #105
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote:
Of all of them, she has definitely aged the best in X3
I hadn't thought of that...