Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?
A+ (Great Movie!) 73 35.61%
A (Entertained a lot!) 93 45.37%
B (Was okay, not bad) 30 14.63%
C (Below expectations) 6 2.93%
D (Very bad) 2 0.98%
F (Intolerable, want money back) 1 0.49%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2011, 10:17 PM   #61
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24
Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Briefly, you can see cerebro takes some damage so maybe there is a later together rebuilding? I liked the second cameo, not the first.

I have to get my head on straight, but I loved it and the film exceed my expectations. Fassbender was totally in a Bondian Origins movie, Bacon was classic. Honestly, this is my initial assessment which hasn't taken total time to dissect, but if this years Awards weren't so packed already, I might think there is an adapted nomination or some supporting nods here.

This was indeed like Batman Begins. Even in knowing how X and Magneto got to be where they are at, it is still an amazing suspension of disbelief for 2 plus hours. I didn't think the pace dragged at all.

Yay!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2011, 11:58 PM   #62
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Oh, let me count the ways in which I loved this movie.

I loved the opening scenes with Erik and Schmidt (Shaw). Little touches like Schmidt tempting him with the chocolate and pulling it away when Erik asked for his mother. I loved the brutality of Erik's mother's murder.

I loved Erik wandering the world hunting down Schmidt/ Shaw. I loved Fassbender's Bond-like portrayal of the young Erik. I loved McAvoy's randy, chat-up line-spouting Xavier. I loved Rose Byrne in lingerie. I loved the glorious 60s outfits, not least of all on January Jones and Kevin Bacon. I loved the big Bond-like, Ken Adams-inspired sets.

I loved Hugh Jackman's cameo - we got to hear Wolverine say the F-word - and thought Rebbeca Romjin's was an even more pleasant surprise.

Basically, I loved everything about this movie. This wasn't the best X-Men movie since X2, it was the best one including X2. The ending to this movie had a passion and emotion that surpassed even it.

I previously said that Thor was the superhero movie to beat this year. Well done Mr Vaughn, you have beaten the Norse god hands-down. Roll on second class.
Old June 4 2011, 12:55 AM   #63
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed this film. It's easily beats out X3 and Wolverine. McAvoy, Fassbender, and Bacon were all great and were given good material to work with. The rest of the cast wasn't bad either, though most of the X-Men didn't get much to work with, besides Mystique and Beast.

I thought the cameos were fun, the FX were good, the story well paced and I liked how they tied it to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I didn't like that they killed off Darwin. Also didn't think that January Jones was sexy enough to be Emma Frost. She's pretty, but she doesn't radiate lust. Though Jones handled her part well enough. I was thrown off, but pleasantly surprised by the Professor X-Mystique relationship. I also like how they developed Mystique's journey, making her a pretty sympathetic character. I also like how they handled Beast, his relationship with Raven and his own self-loathing and eventual acceptance of his mutation.

I wished more time could've been given to Angel Salvadore, Havok, Banshee, and Darwin, if nothing else to flesh out their personalities a little more. Though I know the film was about Charles and Erik and this Vaughn pulled off pretty well. I also wish there had been a reference to MLK or Malcolm X, like in the first X-film, since the events of First Class were taking place during the modern Civil Rights movement, a movement that influenced the creation of the X-Men comic.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 12:55 AM   #64
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Got back a bit ago. It was a great film. Up there with X2. Loved the more 60's than the 60's vibe and all of the cameo's, easter eggs and homages.

The casting was excellent and the actions scenes were very well done. It had a great balance between funny and serious.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 02:12 AM   #65
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Somethings unclear too me:
Did Erik know Schmit/Shaw was a mutant?

When Charles says to him: "You think all humans are like Shaw."
I was under the impression he didn't because he never seemed surprised to discover after all these years he was.

I'm also surprised that after Shaw killed Erik's mother, that he didn't send all those those objects in the room crashing though the glass to crush Shaw. That's some control for a kid that wasn't supposed to have it yet.
Old June 4 2011, 02:15 AM   #66
Aeolusdallas
Captain

exodus wrote: View Post
Somethings unclear too me:
Did Erik know Schmit/Shaw was a mutant?

When Charles says to him: "You think all humans are like Shaw."
I was under the impression he didn't because he never seemed surprised to discover all these years he was.
I don't think he knew back in the 40's.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 02:23 AM   #67
ColeMercury
Lieutenant Commander

Regarding inconsistencies with the first two or three movies -- I can only assume that a sequel would include:

ColeMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 03:09 AM   #68
T'Baio
Admiral

Best superhero, comic book movie ever.

That is all.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 03:39 AM   #69
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

That's a bold statement.

This film must be good...
Old June 4 2011, 03:40 AM   #70
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

A fucking +! I thought the movie was outstanding. Any doubts or criticisms I had were gone after this film.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender completely owned this movie. Patrick Stewart was a great choice for Xavier but they never gave the character a chance to shine in the movies. McAvoy is given that chance and excels. Fassbender is a strong Magneto and the relationship between him and Charles is convincing. In the comics, they really weren't friends for a long period of time (Uncanny X-Men #161) but it totally worked in this film.

Kevin Bacon is an effective villain as Sebastian Shaw. I remember the character well from the comics...is his Nazi past something they created for the film? Although it's a depature from the comics, I really liked Rose Bryne as Moira. I would assume she leaves the CIA and later becomes a geneticist. Charles mind-wiping her is classic Xavier...not in a good way, of course. And hey, you get to see Bryne in lingerie so that's a good thing. January Jones was fine as Emma although I'm more used to the snarky Emma now.

I remember thinking that the X students themselves really didn't get enough time to be fleshed out but they came together well at the end. Jennifer Lawrence was terrific and Nicholas Hault was good too. The Xavier/Mystique relationship was jarring at first but again, it worked and it provided a good character arc for Mystique. We also get to see the usual suspects in military roles...Michael Ironside and Glenn Morshower. Poor Darwin...he shows the most personality of the team every on but sadly gets turned into the token black guy.

Two of the things I was looking forward to was the 60s setting where the X-Men comic began and the "First Class" concept and those elements didn't disappoint. The FX was also very good here and the flight scenes (combat and otherwise) were very convincing. Everything came together very well to explain how Charles and Magneto became the man they were. Good twists and turns too.

I was spoiled about the Wolverine cameo but I still loved it.

I'm definitely very interested to see where they go from here. I'm hoping we get a new version of the "All-New, All-Different" X-Men down the line. Maybe that can involve Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Lorna Dane...hell, even Thunderbird. Every movie needs canon fodder. Just ask Darwin.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 03:41 AM   #71
Griever
Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
Best superhero, comic book movie ever.

That is all.
My first reaction was the same, but I'll have to watch again to make sure.

When Kim Bauer lost her virginity, Jack Bauer found it and put it back.
Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 03:43 AM   #72
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I can believe that McCoy invented Cerebro while Erik and Charles built a more sophisticated version on their own.
It was always Charles who invented Cerebro in the comics. In the early issues, he was a guy who invented a lot of stuff. Starting with the All-New, All-Different team he was a guy who got a lot of stuff made by others like Tony Stark.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 03:52 AM   #73
Maab of the Ten Tribes
Captain

Un-f'n-believable movie! A+ all the way.

I was speechless after it was over because of how good it was. My wife looked and me and could tell my thoughts on it and said "I want to watch that again right now!".
Maab of the Ten Tribes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 04:17 AM   #74
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Yeah I tried to convince my husband to go with me again tonight but my story of 5 people talking on their cell phones put him off of going to the theater on opening weekend.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 07:37 AM   #75
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm dying here folks. Need. To. See. This. Movie. Now!!!!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote