Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 2 2011, 12:48 PM   #2686
Pauln6
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

UFO wrote: View Post
FarStrider wrote: View Post
As Paul6 said earlier in the thread, even in the TOS Spock had at least one love affair (with Leila Kalomi) which, according to the episode, took place 6 years before the episode. Coincidentally, this would be about the same time that ST09 takes place. . . now here's the fun part. . . because the Enterprise launches later in ST09 than it did in TOS, Spock (and Pike) are teaching at the Academy instead of in the middle their 11 year mission, so Nu!Spock may not have even met Leila, but he meets Uhura at least 9-10 years before he does in TOS, at a time when he was open to relationships. . .so, there is no 'self-censoring' and no real contradiction with the TOS.
There doesn't appear to be any indication in "This Side of Paradise" to suggest that "... even in the TOS Spock had at least one love affair (with Leila Kalomi) ...". Certainly nothing of the sort that NuSpock and NuUhura have. If anything existed it seems to be completely one-sided at least in terms of displayed emotions. Indeed the evidence confirms that Spock's behaviour is no, or very little different, six years earlier, to what its is in TOS.
6 years prior? Around about Ponn Farr time? I suspect Leila just woke up after a fabulous all-nighter to a formal 'Dear John' letter.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 02:23 PM   #2687
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
UFO wrote: View Post
FarStrider wrote: View Post
As Paul6 said earlier in the thread, even in the TOS Spock had at least one love affair (with Leila Kalomi) which, according to the episode, took place 6 years before the episode. Coincidentally, this would be about the same time that ST09 takes place. . . now here's the fun part. . . because the Enterprise launches later in ST09 than it did in TOS, Spock (and Pike) are teaching at the Academy instead of in the middle their 11 year mission, so Nu!Spock may not have even met Leila, but he meets Uhura at least 9-10 years before he does in TOS, at a time when he was open to relationships. . .so, there is no 'self-censoring' and no real contradiction with the TOS.
There doesn't appear to be any indication in "This Side of Paradise" to suggest that "... even in the TOS Spock had at least one love affair (with Leila Kalomi) ...". Certainly nothing of the sort that NuSpock and NuUhura have. If anything existed it seems to be completely one-sided at least in terms of displayed emotions. Indeed the evidence confirms that Spock's behaviour is no, or very little different, six years earlier, to what its is in TOS.
6 years prior? Around about Ponn Farr time? I suspect Leila just woke up after a fabulous all-nighter to a formal 'Dear John' letter.
I'm pretty sure amok time was Spock's first Ponn Farr
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 02:29 PM   #2688
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure amok time was Spock's first Ponn Farr
It was. But that doesn't mean younger Vulcans don't get a strange tingling in their knickers every seven years prior to it.
Old June 2 2011, 02:48 PM   #2689
Pauln6
Commodore

Yup and we know from Voyager that holobabes just don't scratch that itch.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2011, 02:15 AM   #2690
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
holobabes just don't scratch that itch
Incidentally, that was the title of Vic Fontaine's second album.
Old June 3 2011, 04:39 AM   #2691
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Old April 7 2014, 09:07 PM   #2692
darthvincor
Commander

Kirk's bogus adventure

I just need to get this off my chest, it's been bugging me for ages.

I don't like what Abrams has done to Star Trek.

Abrams is a franchise slayer: first Star Trek, now on to Star Wars.
The man is a great treatment writer, but his creative works tend to implode after a while (Lost, Alias, Star Trek movies)

I fell asleep during Into Darkness, and only vaguely recall what happened, so I won't say anything about it.
Except that Spock, in no universe, even in a infinite amount of alternate universes, would ever yell 'Kaaaaaaaaaaahn!'.

But the first Abrams Star Trek. Holy cow.

That opening scene. Kirk's dad has to be a hero too. No one else could've rammed that ship into the other ship. No helmsman, no auto pilot.
And he just stays alive long enough to name the baby Jim. How dramatic. Crying and everything, in this overly constructed scene.

And then Jim is shown again. He's a kid now. He has stolen a car, and drives towards a cliff, only to yell in frustration when the cliff nears. Did he forget his car couldn't fly? Or was he hoping the earth would magically form a bridge over the canyon? Did he not know there was a canyon there? Was he seriously hoping to outrun the police?
A second dimension has been added to the character. Awesome, we're a few minutes in, and 2 dimensions already.

And then Kirk is further explained and glorified. Encounters with women, cheating on tests.
But still only two dimensions. hmmm.

And then Spock has to be made 'upset'. Lets see, what would make Spock upset.... I know! His mother and his planet blow up. That ought to do it. Such subtle and nuanced writing.

Now for some more characters.
Chekov: Russian accent, done. No more depth needed.
Sulu: Gotta be a Sulu at the helm. Even though this is an alternate universe, with Vulcan gone(!) for example, all the same chaps end up on board.
Uhuru: wow, the character has been expanded. No longer is she just the switch board operator, she now is Spock's lover.
Scotty: He's still from Scotland. He has common sense, and is decent. Amazing how they found the time to add a few dimensions to this side character.
Bones: southern accent + southern gallantry, done.
Old Spock is there: alternate universe, same old Old Spock.
The characters need no further story or depth. It is a Kirk glorification, after all.

Kirk also never goes beyond 2 dimensions: Hero, rebel.

And then there is Nero. Another shallow and pointless star trek movie villain. So consumed with anger is he, that he learns to travel through time, and is intent on blowing up Vulcan, to get back at Spock. Who comes up with this nonsense? You have greatly wounded me, therefore, I will blow up your home planet. (fine, absorb into singularity)
And his name... Romulus, Remus, centurions and now Nero. How unimaginative. We should count ourselves lucky his family members Tiberius, Claudius and Augustus weren't there too.

In the end Kirk saves the day. He was after all a hero from birth on already.

And Kirk and his sidekicks go on to more adventures, in a 23rd century ship that has actual cooling pipes, transparent too, with water, and a release vent, just in case someone ends up in there. (a la Charlie and the Chocolate factory)

So totally cool, dude!
Old April 7 2014, 09:57 PM   #2693
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Kirk's bogus adventure

darthvincor wrote: View Post
I just need to get this off my chest, it's been bugging me for ages.

I don't like what Abrams has done to Star Trek.

The man is a great treatment writer, but his creative works tend to implode after a while (Lost, Alias, Star Trek movies)

I fell asleep during Into Darkness, and only vaguely recall what happened, so I won't say anything about it.
Except that Spock, in no universe, even in a infinite amount of alternate universes, would ever yell 'Kaaaaaaaaaaahn!'.

But the first Abrams Star Trek. Holy cow.
<snip>
Since there's not really a clear topic for discussion here—your post is more a review-type blog entry about a four-year old movie than it is a thread-starter—I'll move this to the Grading & Discussion thread for the 2009 Star Trek, where there may be found similar posts about that film.
Old April 13 2014, 01:06 AM   #2694
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

It's valid to say you don't like Abrams contributions, but in no way is it rational to say that he "slayed" the Star Trek franchise. In order for him to have done that, it would have had to have been alive to begin with. Between Enterprise and Nemesis, it was dead as dead could be.

As for Star Wars, I doubt he could do worse than Attack of the Clones if he tried.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2014, 07:10 AM   #2695
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Well, if you look at this page (link) and scroll down a bit to look at the 'adjusted for inflation' section, Star Trek 2009 IS the top grossing film; and the only films that (again adjusted for inflation) grossed more than ST:ID were ST:TMP and STIV:TVH.

So, sorry, the Abrams films did quite well for the franchise from a Box Office perspective. If anything, ST:Nem (after inflation adjustment) really 'slayed' the franchise from a Box Office perspective.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 12:02 AM   #2696
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Well, if you look at this page (link) and scroll down a bit to look at the 'adjusted for inflation' section, Star Trek 2009 IS the top grossing film; and the only films that (again adjusted for inflation) grossed more than ST:ID were ST:TMP and STIV:TVH.
Actually TMP is the top-grossing movie in adjusted dollars by the worldwide numbers, though it's close. Gross is kind of useless for measuring box office success though; though overall obviously the Abrams movies did fine at the box office. Interestingly in terms of profitability it's STID and not ST09 that ranks second (ST09 comes in fifth behind TVH and TWOK).
Old April 28 2014, 01:37 AM   #2697
Harvey
Admiral

Three points:

(1) Michael Hinman is a pretty flimsy excuse for a journalist. I'm surprised you only found one error with his reporting.

(2) Trying to determine profitability without knowing about all kinds of ancilarry revenue streams, the studio's arrangement with exhibitors, and the actual (not publicized) production (as well prints and advertising) budget means these numbers have to be taken with a few grains of salt, no?

(3) Acknowledging that we'll never have all the information I mentioned in point number two, what source did you use to calculate your figures (or did you just draw from Hinman's article, with more correct figures for STID?).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:38 PM   #2698
Seven of Five
Commodore

You have already voted in this poll.
Old April 30 2014, 04:25 AM   #2699
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
these numbers have to be taken with a few grains of salt, no?
For certain!

did you just draw from Hinman's article, with more correct figures for STID?
Correct.
Old May 4 2014, 02:08 AM   #2700
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Harvey wrote: View Post
Three points:

(1) Michael Hinman is a pretty flimsy excuse for a journalist. I'm surprised you only found one error with his reporting.

(2) Trying to determine profitability without knowing about all kinds of ancilarry revenue streams, the studio's arrangement with exhibitors, and the actual (not publicized) production (as well prints and advertising) budget means these numbers have to be taken with a few grains of salt, no?

(3) Acknowledging that we'll never have all the information I mentioned in point number two, what source did you use to calculate your figures (or did you just draw from Hinman's article, with more correct figures for STID?).
There's also cable/TV rights and DVD/BluRay sales which form a larger proportion of sales from movies in the last 10 years than they would for say TMP.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote