Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 2 2011, 02:20 PM   #16
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Re: Blue Thunder vs. Airwolf

Preferred Blue Thunder to Airwolf, simply as Blue Thunder actually looked as if it could do the things it was meant to do in the show, while Airwolf looked like it ought to be ferrying oil workers out to offshore platforms. I even prefered the TV series of BT to Airwolf, but that was only through twenty years of gold tinged nostalgia. I finally re-watched Blue Thunder the TV series last year and it stank. It was cancelled after only 12 episodes, and you can see why. By the final episode, they decided to turn it into Airwolf, when the CIA came in and commandeered it for a mission in South America, Dana Carvey was ditched from the cast, and a babe brought in as co-pilot. The only good things about it was Bubba and Ski.

Airwolf the TV series was much more typical of the era, a tech heavy action show, best served by the Cold War, but it got horrendously routine very quickly.

Of course Blue Thunder wins the battles of the movies hands down. The Airwolf movie was just the pilot episode re-edited, the actors brought in to ADR some swears into the dialogue to up the rating. Utterly lame. Would you believe that it's been released on Blu-ray in the UK? It's the world's only Blu-ray transfer of what looks like a videotape source.

Blue Thunder had naked yoga! And a whole commentary on the Big Brother society before it even became an issue. Blue Thunder was less a hero vehicle in that movie as it was a distillation of the social message of the story.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 02:36 PM   #17
saturn5
Fleet Captain

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
Preferred Blue Thunder to Airwolf, simply as Blue Thunder actually looked as if it could do the things it was meant to do in the show, while Airwolf looked like it ought to be ferrying oil workers out to offshore platforms. I even prefered the TV series of BT to Airwolf, but that was only through twenty years of gold tinged nostalgia. I finally re-watched Blue Thunder the TV series last year and it stank. It was cancelled after only 12 episodes, and you can see why. By the final episode, they decided to turn it into Airwolf, when the CIA came in and commandeered it for a mission in South America, Dana Carvey was ditched from the cast, and a babe brought in as co-pilot. The only good things about it was Bubba and Ski.

Airwolf the TV series was much more typical of the era, a tech heavy action show, best served by the Cold War, but it got horrendously routine very quickly.

Of course Blue Thunder wins the battles of the movies hands down. The Airwolf movie was just the pilot episode re-edited, the actors brought in to ADR some swears into the dialogue to up the rating. Utterly lame. Would you believe that it's been released on Blu-ray in the UK? It's the world's only Blu-ray transfer of what looks like a videotape source.

Blue Thunder had naked yoga! And a whole commentary on the Big Brother society before it even became an issue. Blue Thunder was less a hero vehicle in that movie as it was a distillation of the social message of the story.
Whilst the Blue Thunder movie was great I think it tried to have it's cake and eat it. Saying 'Ow isn't the idea of these facist armed police helicopters terrible' but at the same time just GREAT FUN TO HAVE ONE!
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 02:46 PM   #18
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

saturn5 wrote: View Post
The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post

Whilst the Blue Thunder movie was great I think it tried to have it's cake and eat it. Saying 'Ow isn't the idea of these facist armed police helicopters terrible' but at the same time just GREAT FUN TO HAVE ONE!
There is that. But you can also look at the way that we've fallen in love with surveillance society. Video cameras all over the place, people being monitored left right and centre, Police Camera reality shows clogging up the schedules. That's the way it is now, and we love it for the perceived effect it has on ensuring our safety as citizens, and I admit that I don't give much weight to the civil rights implications of it all, as long as Mr Bad Guy gets taken off the streets. It's only when you hear of a miscarriage of justice that you start thinking about the whys and wherefores.

I see it in the same way with the movie, a wary sort of love affair with the technology at first when you see what good you can do with it, but it was only when Murphy was slapped in the face with the negative implications of the technology that he took a stand against it. And his final disposition of the helicopter was a definite choice between the two, not a cake and eat it mentality.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=saturn5;5006630]
Forbin wrote: View Post
Best ep, Moffat's Ghost, love the scene where Hawk does his kamikaze dive at the end to knock out Airwolfs infected computer, best use to the awesome theme music ever
Absolutely! Most of the show (like most 80s shows) was forgettable dross with an oft-used reset button but I distinctly remember that episode. It was very well done. The other thing I lamented was that they didn't use Archangel's assistant Marella(?) (played by Deborah Pratt?) more often. She always seemed to have loads of hidden potential as a genius Lady Penelope style character in an era when most of the female characters were tagged on for no particular purpose at the start and end of the episodes.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral

Loved Jean Bruce Scott though
Oh, was she not just the most adorable lil' thing ever?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Airwolf has air-to-air missiles. and is bulletproof. all blue thunder had was a gatling gun. Airwolf FTW.
IIRC, Airwolf had something like 14 different weapons, could fly at Mach speeds, and had stealth capability. Airwolf all the way, baby.

Agreed, absolutely Airwolf.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:21 PM   #22
Forbin
Admiral

I amused myself once by comparing properly scaled drawings of Sidewinder and Bullpup missiles with Airwolf.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 06:54 PM   #23
captcalhoun
Admiral

the Blue Thunder movie does get kudos for the exchange between the two cops:

i hear he checks his sanity with a stop-watch.
what do you use? a dip-stick?!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 07:15 PM   #24
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Airwolf would always win purely because of their superior theme music
This is the correct, and only answer.

(Clint Eastwood in Firefox would kick both their butts though...)
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 08:42 PM   #25
Expo67
Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Maybe they'll do a remake that's better.
A remake of a remake(technically the TV show was a remake of the movie)?

I'd rather Columbia Pictures not go that route.
Expo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 08:44 PM   #26
Expo67
Captain

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Expo67 wrote: View Post

Like the foolish debate between Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica, the controversy between the movie Blue Thunder and the television series Airwolf has been an on-going one.
No it hasn't. Nobody gives a shit about them.
You'd be surprised.
Expo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 09:04 PM   #27
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Blue Thunder had JAFO - does that count for anything?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 09:36 PM   #28
davejames
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Well, the Bell 222 was way prettier than the hacked up bug-eyed Gazelle (?) they bashed Blue thunder out of.

I watched Airwolf all the way thru not too long ago. Yeah, it was rife with stupid 80s plots (another paramilitary desert slave compound!?) and bad acting, but the things they did with that beautiful helicopter were amazing - MAN those stunt pilots must have had a ball!
Completely agreed. Not only was Airwolf one very sleek, badass looking helicopter, but it actually growled when it flew! I mean come on, you can't beat that.

And yeah, there were some cool dogfights in that show that are still kinda thrilling to watch. My favorite was when they'd show Airwolf on screen with a much faster jet and have it actually appearing to chase after it (at least for a few seconds, lol).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 10:16 PM   #29
Starkers
Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Airwolf would always win purely because of their superior theme music
This is the correct, and only answer.

(Clint Eastwood in Firefox would kick both their butts though...)
Firefox Vs Airwolf Vs Blue Thunder Vs Knight Rider Vs Streethawk...

I'd pay good money to see that film...not to mention buy the soundtrack!

Anyone remember the day Airwolf went up against Redwolf? That would have been cool, except despite being the equal of AW (and with an added "laser") RW chased AW for ages but couldn't hit it, then Airwolf just turned round and shot it once and downed it!

Man how many Hughes 500's crashed/blew up in the 80s!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 10:37 PM   #30
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Airwolf vs Red Wolf;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcahV1JfCmY

Airwolf vs Firefox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP53fuQUGDo&feature=fvst

Loved Jean Bruce, especially as naval officer Maggie Poole in Magnum. And of course Wayne's World's Dana Carvey was JAFO.

And yes, I laughed when Hawke and String once loaded missiles onto Airwolf just carrying them in their armsAnd were did those missile pods deploy from when you have Dom taking up all the room in the back?
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote