Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 2 2011, 04:38 AM   #1456
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

OK, drop it. Done.

Except:

But I can't make any promises when it comes to certain issues(not antics as you put it)that I am passionate about. Like Steve McQueen, when I believe in something, I fight like hell for it.
If I feel you're making trouble due to the history, you're done. If you're smart, you'll walk away if you feel like taking a shot. If not, well, can't say I didn't warn you.

Now it's done. [/grouch]

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:43 AM   #1457
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

number6 wrote: View Post
What is Starship Exeter's stance on burgers and nudity?
I don't know that SE has a stance on burgers; however, our position on coffee was that Cutty was never allowed to have any (seriously).
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:46 AM   #1458
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Dennis wrote: View Post
What is Starship Exeter's stance on burgers and nudity?
I don't know that SE has a stance on burgers; however, our position on coffee was that Cutty was never allowed to have any (seriously).
What happens when Cutty has too much coffee?? How weird do things get on the set?
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 04:50 AM   #1459
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

We shall never know.

The coffee thing became a running joke - Cutty remarks in "The Savage Empire" that he could "sure use a cup of coffee." So the producers decided that his desire for coffee would be forever frustrated - note that in the briefing room scene in "The Tressaurian Intersection" he finds the coffee urn bone dry when he tries to pour a cup.

Also, Garrovick likes chili and coffee because that's what I had for dinner right before writing the other briefing room scene.
Old June 2 2011, 05:08 AM   #1460
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

So...is that an "avoid bridge duty after dinner" thing??

I never picked up on the coffee gag.. How did I miss that?
I really like what you guys did with the sets.. In a lot of ways it looks every bit as good as the latest P2 and in some ways even better. Exeter certainly came a long way from the first one!!

How does it compare with the Polaris experience (which looks really impressive, btw..)?
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 12:10 PM   #1461
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Expo67 wrote: View Post
T'Bonz wrote: View Post
**Shakes head**

And Expo, if you don't knock off your antics regarding Dennis, I'll bounce you off this board so fast you won't know what hit you.

You can do the adult thing and put him on ignore and NOT engage with him, or you can see how far my patience goes reading this crap and I assure you, it doesn't go far.

Your call. Last notice.
As you wish.

But I can't make any promises when it comes to certain issues(not antics as you put it)that I am passionate about. Like Steve McQueen, when I believe in something, I fight like hell for it.
Passion is great in the right place. A Star Trek board and a poster you don't like strikes me as misplaced passion, but whatever....

Anyway, I did pick up on the Cutty/coffee gag. I agree with Nsix that the improvement between episodes for Exeter was staggering. As I've said before that's one of the real fun things about fan productions.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 02:35 PM   #1462
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

How does it compare with the Polaris experience (which looks really impressive, btw..)?
Thanks.

In an important respect it's been really similar.

I wanted to make another film because the creative and social experience on Exeter was wonderful. Everyone was having fun; everyone was committed and working hard and the atmosphere on the set was great. It was exciting. The only ego issues we had were one or two later, in post-production, and they were resolved or resolved themselves.

The esprit de corps on Polaris has been similarly amazing - everything I could have wanted. We've all become friends and we're having a great time (though I think we'll all be relieved when we wrap - you just want to cross that finish line, you know?). I've never seen a more creative, inventive and devoted group of people. No ego problems, no real territoriality.

Can it be real different? Yeah, believe me - I've seen enough backbiting, gossip and broken promises in some other situations that I don't take this for granted. We had one falling-out, which I very much regret, in preproduction. Since then, it's been delightful.
Old June 2 2011, 08:35 PM   #1463
Maurice
Vice Admiral

We shall never know.

The coffee thing became a running joke - Cutty remarks in "The Savage Empire" that he could "sure use a cup of coffee." So the producers decided that his desire for coffee would be forever frustrated - note that in the briefing room scene in "The Tressaurian Intersection" he finds the coffee urn bone dry when he tries to pour a cup.

Also, Garrovick likes chili and coffee because that's what I had for dinner right before writing the other briefing room scene.
As I recall, what happened was I noted the "I could sure use a cup of coffee Quince" line in Savage Empire and made a running gag in The Atlantis Invaders of Cutty almost getting coffee, and even when he finally gets it, he doesn't get it. Dennis then added the empty carafe thing to TTI.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 08:38 PM   #1464
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I don't remember whose idea the TTI scene was - Jimm may have suggested it. He was terribly concerned that we come up with a plausible carafe for the briefing room and had me running around thrift stores.
Old June 2 2011, 08:47 PM   #1465
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I don't remember whose idea the TTI scene was - Jimm may have suggested it. He was terribly concerned that we come up with a plausible carafe for the briefing room and had me running around thrift stores.
I think it was your idea once you saw my script. At least that's my recollection of it. I DO have emails archived going that far back. I could actually look if I was so determined.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old June 2 2011, 08:50 PM   #1466
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, I'll be glad to claim a gag if I can get away with it. My recollection was just that I was told it was to be a running joke.
Old June 2 2011, 11:48 PM   #1467
Jetfire

I think everyone involved on Exeter did a wonderful job...it is nice to see people with such dedication to Trek, a passion...do such an awesome job...wish it had continued.
Old June 3 2011, 05:28 AM   #1468
Robert Simmons
Commander

View Robert Simmons's Twitter Profile

Well, I'll be glad to claim a gag if I can get away with it. My recollection was just that I was told it was to be a running joke.
Josh told me was that when Cutty finally got his coffee....it was the fatal ominous forboding sign for the ship and crew. Before then we are to never see him succeed in getting to enjoy any.
Old June 4 2011, 06:52 AM   #1469
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Shades of "Hudson Hawk"...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2011, 09:56 AM   #1470
Maurice
Vice Admiral

CUTTY (CONT'D)
(half to himself)
How many interviews is that? Thirty?

Cutty rubs his eyes tiredly then goes for an obviously untouched tray with a carafe and cups. He pours a cup of steaming black coffee. Boy does he need this--

A BEEP from the viewer on the desktop just before he can pick up the cup. He punches a button. The viewer activates.

<dialog omitted>

He smiles and raises the coffee to his lips...

Muffled sounds of phaser fire from outside! Cutty's dropped cup spills as he jumps to the window and looks down. There are flashes from outside and more phaser noises. The Yeoman reaches the window just as Cutty bolts from the room.

from "The Atlantis Invaders".
—Glen Larson, 2010