Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Children Of The Storm.
Outstanding 64 52.89%
Above Average 41 33.88%
Average 11 9.09%
Below Average 1 0.83%
Poor 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30 2011, 07:46 AM   #31
shanejayell
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Voyager: Children Of The Storm Review Thread

Finished it, liked it a lot. *thumbs up*
Old May 30 2011, 08:00 PM   #32
Gates
Lieutenant Commander

View Gates's Twitter Profile

I finished reading it the other day and I absolutely loved it.
Old June 1 2011, 01:02 AM   #33
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Started this today at 630 am and finished around 745 pm. I really enjoyed this book. I re-read Unworthy last week in preparation for Children Of The Storm. I gave this an OUTSTANDING. By far the best trek book I have read of late. The characters were developed great including Seven. I chuckled when I read her playing Hide And Seek. My 2 daughters and I play that all the time.

Lets hope that the next book is in the near future. I was never a fan of Voyager books but the re-launch books have got me hooked.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 07:14 PM   #34
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I'm a quarter of the way through the book and had to stop as I was at the end of my lunch hour. Hopefully I'll be able to read more this evening. I'm really enjoying it thus far, better than Unworthy, but I have one question and would like to know if it is revealed in the book.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 08:14 PM   #35
SicOne
Commodore

BrotherBenny wrote: View Post
I'm a quarter of the way through the book and had to stop as I was at the end of my lunch hour. Hopefully I'll be able to read more this evening. I'm really enjoying it thus far, better than Unworthy, but I have one question and would like to know if it is revealed in the book.

I'm sorry, BrotherBenny, that's classified. In fact, you'll have to come with us now. You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney...
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 08:25 PM   #36
Paris
Fleet Captain

I just finished it a few minutes ago. I couldn't put it down. Really loved it. Kirsten continues to show us that she has a even firmer grasp on what makes these characters click than the writing staff on the tv series had . I wait, with baited breathe, for the announcement that Kirsten has signed a contract to give us two or three more VOY-R books in the not-so-distant-future! Come on Pocket! Give us more Voyager by Kirsten
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 08:49 PM   #37
JD
Admiral

Didn't we hear about a third one, somewhere around the time Christopher Bennett, David Mack, and Greg Cox announced their stuff for '12?
Old June 2 2011, 01:54 AM   #38
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Didn't we hear about a third one, somewhere around the time Christopher Bennett, David Mack, and Greg Cox announced their stuff for '12?
Not that I know of. And wouldn't it be fourth?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 03:32 AM   #39
Christopher
Writer

^Maybe he means the third one actually set in the Delta Quadrant?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 05:09 AM   #40
Judith Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

Loved it. Looking forward to the next installment.
Judith Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 06:18 AM   #41
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Hey folks,

Thanks to all of you who have had a chance to read it and share your thoughts. Sounds like on the whole we're off to a good start.

And SciOne...made me laugh really hard just now.

Best,
Kirsten
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2011, 06:19 AM   #42
JD
Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Not that I know of. And wouldn't it be fourth?
Yeah, fourth.
I guess I was mistaken then.
Old June 2 2011, 02:36 PM   #43
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Kirsten Beyer wrote: View Post
Hey folks,

Thanks to all of you who have had a chance to read it and share your thoughts. Sounds like on the whole we're off to a good start.

And SciOne...made me laugh really hard just now.

Best,
Kirsten
Emphasis mine. That's a HUGE understatement IMHO. Usually stories that jump backwards and forwards in time are actually pretty dire in my experience and experimental by the author in non-linear storytelling. With CotS you handle this deftly and it seems natural.

I would also like to concur with Paris, if you had been on Voyager's writing team the series would have one of the best shows on television instead of the bastard stepchild of the franchise (I count Enterprise as the child dumped on the steps of the church and forgotten about, even though I personally liked it).

I haven't even finished the book and I want more.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2011, 01:15 AM   #44
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

"We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man...

I do not say that we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."
John F. Kennedy

"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
Theodore Roosevelt

I was raised a Christian. But to be honest it didn't take. My spiritual instruction rather came watching a group of humans and one very singular half alien, strive episode after episode to better themselves and their fellow beings.

I watched these beings make mistakes, and make just plain wrong choices. But unlike so many people who surrounded me they did not seek to defend their mistakes as right. Rather they worked to recognize where they had erred and to make amends. Whether it was a simply apology to a subordinate for angry words spoken under the pressure of the moment, or getting the ships doctor to whip up a bandage for a rock eating being at first thought of as a monster that the captain's phaser had wounded, these people strove to be better than good enough.

I saw this example time and time again on other shows.

I saw a human man violated by a race of cyborgs, turn away from revenge and allow one who belonged to that race to gain individuality.

I saw a Bajoran woman who had every reason to despise the people of another race learn to set aside her hatred and judge others on their merits.

I watched a human woman choose to protect a race of strangers even though it meant virtual exile for her and over one hundred others from the place they had called home.

I observed a human man and a Vulcan woman learn how to trust one another despite a very rocky start to their working relationship.

Time and again I saw all manner of beings strive to grow beyond their limitations, whether biological, cultural, or merely personal.

And I saw it again reading this book.

From a man who's desire to help a race that was hostile and so very alien that he was more concerned about doing that then escaping them, to a woman who has opened up to another to share her unique history, turning what had been a burden into a treasure.

I saw such wonders. And people made mistakes, and wrong choices. But they learned, and grew. And because of this a grief that had seemed eternal has been transformed to joy.

I believe.

I believe that these are not just "stories".

I believe that these are fundamental statements about who we can be if we choose it.

I believe that we have the potential live lives that are beyond amazing.

Sometimes I forget that though.

I work in a job that I hate because I have to.

I live in a country that every day seems to slip a little further into a kind of hell that I once thought was a thing of the past.

And sometimes I just try and get through the day without wanting to blow my brains out.

But then something like this comes along, and I am reminded of how much potential we have. While it is true that in some ways a story changes nothing, in so many ways it changes everything.

So thank you Kirsten for seeing so clearly into that world and sharing what you saw. Thank you for reminding me why I still believe that all hope is not lost.

Peace, and long life to you.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2011, 07:37 AM   #45
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Stoek wrote: View Post
...I believe.

I believe that these are not just "stories".

I believe that these are fundamental statements about who we can be if we choose it.

I believe that we have the potential live lives that are beyond amazing.

Sometimes I forget that though.

I work in a job that I hate because I have to.

I live in a country that every day seems to slip a little further into a kind of hell that I once thought was a thing of the past.

And sometimes I just try and get through the day without wanting to blow my brains out.

But then something like this comes along, and I am reminded of how much potential we have. While it is true that in some ways a story changes nothing, in so many ways it changes everything.

So thank you Kirsten for seeing so clearly into that world and sharing what you saw. Thank you for reminding me why I still believe that all hope is not lost.

Peace, and long life to you.
Stoek,

You know, I do this work alone in the quietest place I can find, and there are so many nights when I wonder if it matters beyond the joy that I take in writing and the extra security getting paid to write provides. Of course, it matters to me. And of course I am immensly gratified when people respond positively to what I have written.

But I have never before had someone reflect back so clearly to me in their words what was in my heart when I wrote mine.

There is something almost shocking in it, and at the same time quite humbling.

Your experience of Star Trek in all of its incarnations and of the world we are currently living in, as well as your personal journey, both spiritually and day to day is an absolute mirror of mine. I too have worked jobs I hated because I had to. I too have been driven to near despair by so much if what is happening around us. And I too, have taken inspiration from stories, Trek and others, that have been lights in the darkness to me.

On some level I have always known I wasn't alone in this. But as you said, there are times when that is easy to forget.

I think, now, that those times might be fewer and further between in the future, and that is testament not only to what you expressed here, but also the simple elegance with which you said it.

You have given me a tremendous gift tonight. One that I can never really repay. You have my most sincere thanks, and I too wish you peace and long life.

With hope,
Kirsten Beyer
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote