Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 29 2011, 01:27 PM   #3616
oojason
Commander

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

^ more big money players and replacements aren't what is required for them to compete - it's having a manager or coaches around him with a keen tactical mind - someone who can adapt to the flow of how the game is going, and be able limit the opposition yet not nullify your own strengths - rather than what we've seen in the past 2 encounters from Ferguson.
oojason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 01:42 PM   #3617
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

^ While Fergie had me shouting to make his 3rd sub in the form of Michael Owen for ages, I still think axing the most succesful football coach in modern history is probably not the right option. Fergie won't leave till he wins a 4th European cup now, after losing the last 2 after wining the first 2, he will make Roman's obession at Chelski look like childs play.

I refuse to believe Pep is a world class coach because Barcelona play for themselves they need very little direction. Also when Barca do begin to struggle Pep seems lost at sea like in the Copa Rey Final and last season CL Semi Final with Inter...even the Chelsea CL semi when the ref saved Barca after Pep just ran out of ideas.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 01:51 PM   #3618
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Imo Barcelona obviously won't win every game every time, football just doesn't work like that, but they will always be the favourites for the foreseeable future, regardless of who Man United buys or who their manager is. Barcelona is years ahead of everyone else, and not just in talent but also in tactics, something that hasn't happened in decades imo.
Old May 29 2011, 02:39 PM   #3619
Jax
Admiral

Barcelona dominating the CL will be bad news for the cup because despite all the hype around them it gets boring to watch one team dominate. This fairplay thing UEFA are on about having annoys me because it helps the big club stay the big club because the amount of money needed to challenge them won't be allowed so how are non top 4 clubs supposed to catch up?

Look at Spurs, they have spent alot of money but broke into the top 4 and the last 8 of the European Cup and there club is stable but Uefa won't allow that top happen anymore. I enjoy watching new teams break into the CL because with this current seeding system the CL is quickly becoming boring...

I yurn for the days when we had group stages with Utd, Barca and Bayern Munich in the same group.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old May 29 2011, 05:41 PM   #3620
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I firmly advocate an open draw for all cup competitions. The FA Cup is all the evidence you need for why it's better than seeding.

I just watched Huddersfield lose 3-0 to Peterborough despite being on top for the entire second half and the scoreline being 0-0 in the 78th minute. Bizarre game.
Old May 29 2011, 07:05 PM   #3621
Jax
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
I just watched Huddersfield lose 3-0 to Peterborough despite being on top for the entire second half and the scoreline being 0-0 in the 78th minute. Bizarre game.
Just another example of why English football is the best for drama
Old May 29 2011, 07:10 PM   #3622
Roger Wilco
Admiral

lol, more FIFA fun - FIFA suspends Bin Hammam, Blatter cleared; how convenient when Bin Hammam was looking to beat Blatter in the upcoming election.
Old May 29 2011, 07:14 PM   #3623
iBender
Fleet Captain

I'm glad Man U lost, Rooney's over rated and England's never going to win a trophy again if we keep praising him.
iBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2011, 08:06 PM   #3624
Jax
Admiral

iBender wrote: View Post
I'm glad Man U lost, Rooney's over rated and England's never going to win a trophy again if we keep praising him.
Yes he's so over rated fancy scoring a goal in the final of the CL, being Utd's best player (not hard though) and somehow it makes him crap . England are not going to win a trophy not because of Rooney but because we don't have any decent backup for him.

Also so what were supposed to call him shit ever game? is that supposed to make him play better? I also didn't know Rooney was also the main reason behind our poor defending at the 2010 world cup.

Last edited by Jax; May 29 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 29 2011, 08:27 PM   #3625
iBender
Fleet Captain

Here's what I made during World Cup 2010...

I got soo tired of seeing those Cartoonize yourself ads with Wayne Rooney and then a stupid characture of him, so I made my own.
iBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2011, 06:05 AM   #3626
Quo Vadimus
Vice Admiral

Hey, just curious, does anyone know why Berbaov got left off the game day squad? The announcers mentioned it in passing but I never heard why he was left off the bench.

I know, it's the manager's team and he can do whatever he pleases, but it seems odd to leave him off the bench. The guy did score 20 goals for you this year.

I bet he's going to be sold this summer.
Old May 30 2011, 09:57 AM   #3627
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Think you answered your own question there

He'll be gone in the summer. Fergie obviously thought that Owen was a better option for the final.

Barcelona were brilliant, and thank God they didn't need to resort to diving all over the place to sour the occasion. As it was it was a magnificent spectacle of showcase football.

To be honest, they're playing exceptional football at exactly the wrong time for the rest of Europe. Man Utd, Chelsea, Milan, Inter - all ageing sides or sides in transition.

I'd be worried if I were United - that side needs a major overhaul IMO - Giggs, Scholes, Van der Sar all need replacing, and IMO, if Man Utd really want to compete at the very highest level again then Carrick, Park and Valencia need to be improved upon.
Old May 30 2011, 01:35 PM   #3628
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Farewell, Dave Jones! So now who comes in to manage Cardiff? I have no idea, but no doubt the usual suspects will get onto the shortlists. Just please not Allardyce/Laws/Megson/Shearer

Oh, and Berbatov is useless in big games. Always has been, even when he was at Spurs. not much good at a team like United where there're more big games than normal.
Old May 30 2011, 11:34 PM   #3629
Starkers
Admiral

Probably for the best for both Cardiff and Jones really...

So Swansea in the Prem, they'll either be a revalation or they'll be torn apart (lets face it we beat them with ease!)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2011, 05:19 AM   #3630
Quo Vadimus
Vice Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post

Oh, and Berbatov is useless in big games. Always has been, even when he was at Spurs. not much good at a team like United where there're more big games than normal.
That is so true. Even in video games! In FIFA '10, I was playing as Fulham and Berbatov missed a couple chances inside the small box within the box.