New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 26 2011, 07:17 PM   #931
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Any new items (hatches and maps) won't work until the texture pack is updated. I don't think the game switches back automatically.

Any items for which there's no texture I think just show up as a weird color.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2011, 07:21 PM   #932
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

^ They show up as invisible objects for me.

I need to get back in to Minecraft, I haven't been playing much lately. I think I just need to figure out a new project.
Old May 26 2011, 07:29 PM   #933
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Speaking of which, Dave, I was wondering if you mind me filling in the bit of the lake next to your castle? I don't know what I want to build there but it would be nice to have the real estate.
My blog
Old May 26 2011, 07:39 PM   #934
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

^ Do you mean the one in front, by my mine? That'd be fine.
Old May 26 2011, 07:41 PM   #935
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

You know that lake we kind of built our town around? I'm talking about that. There's a part next to your castle that I built a walkway across and I'm looking to fill in part of it. Maybe the whole thing, eventually.
My blog
Old May 26 2011, 11:23 PM   #936
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Looking over the texturepack, there are really only three new items on it. The hatch, and two wierd shrublike things that nobodies figured out yet. Gonna try Photoshopping those today.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2011, 11:44 PM   #937
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
You know that lake we kind of built our town around? I'm talking about that. There's a part next to your castle that I built a walkway across and I'm looking to fill in part of it. Maybe the whole thing, eventually.

You sure about that? Why not just expand outwards like a city naturally would as it gets bigger? That lake adds some beauty to the city.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2011, 11:49 PM   #938
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

You sure about that? Why not just expand outwards like a city naturally would as it gets bigger? That lake adds some beauty to the city.
Fiiiiiine.
My blog
Old May 27 2011, 02:40 AM   #939
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I haven't played Minecraft for about a month, so I decided to give 1.6 a whirl:

• Beds are still bug riddled (random monster attacks and still resets the weather counter) so that's a big negative.
  • Maps put east on the top, which is annoying as all my cartographs are set to have north as the top and I'm used to thinking of my world that way. I'm hoping that this is some sort of bug and that Notch will fix the orientation, but some people think that this might have been intentional as maps used to be this way before sanity prevailed and Europe was put sitting on the rest of the world.
  • Hatches are useful. They certainly fit in better than a tiny room with a door when you want a ladder to the roof.
  • The most interesting thing that happened was that a large section of water that had been generated pre-biomes turned into ice.

Mostly, 1.6 seems to have fixed a bunch of small bugs that I barely even noticed while not fixing the main bugs I wanted sorted. Maybe in 1.7
Old May 27 2011, 08:31 AM   #940
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Robert - Awww, spare the lake!

One thing I hate is that the game added cool little bushes and clumps of weeds. But apparently they only appear on new worlds. Not ones that existed in 1.5. I ended up generating a new world, and they look great.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2011, 09:07 PM   #941
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, I guess that's one less thing we'll be seeing in our world then, unless it's different in multiplayer. Thing is, they should really fix that kind of thing to be seen in older worlds and that applies to anything new added in term of the world itself, since this is a game where people keep their worlds long term, which is something they encourage. So, they need to apply things like this to all worlds going forward no matter when they were created. It must be possible.
Old May 27 2011, 09:09 PM   #942
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I could always do a chunk prune with MCEdit or something. Chop out any chunks we haven't built anything in, and then let the server regenerate them, presumably with the new features.
My blog
Old May 27 2011, 09:50 PM   #943
Jadzia
on holiday

^ Is it just a case of having the new blocks available to harvest, or are there hidden properties attached to regions of the gameworld that affects what mechanics are applied to that region.

If the former, what you might be able to do is to make a platform that's designated as the area where new types of blocks will be edited in, perhaps 10x10 bricks, and towered however high you want it.

Think of it as a temple, through which the gods deliver things to your world.
Old May 27 2011, 10:15 PM   #944
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Then, shouldn't the client or server logically force chunk updates to the world whenever a change like this happens?

Jadzia, I'd say, it's a combination of both. There are different properties according to Biomes, such as forest, desert, etc, with blocks changing colours depending on how spread out a biome is, and there's also the fact that the world is procedurally generated as you explore. The game should logically say, "put long grass here!" and have it just be there regardless of how old the world is.
Old May 27 2011, 10:50 PM   #945
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

While it would be nice if old worlds could generate the new block types, I can understand why Notch doesn't try to do that kind of thing. How would Emher and his friends feel when they log in after the 1.6 update to find long grass all over the pitch of their stadium? Besides, it provides me with a new excuse to explore new regions of the world.

I finally did something that I wanted to do ever since the halloween update: I built an igloo!

I thought that the ice-windows were a nice touch. Now the game just needs penguins and I'm set!

According to his twitter, Notch didn't realise that there were still huge bugs with 1.6.4 so he proceeded with Mojang's gaming Friday today. When he got home and found out, he decided to go into the office tomorrow to work on a new patch.