Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Would you step onboard the transporter pad?
No thanks, I'll take the bus 24 55.81%
Thought you'd never ask! 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2011, 01:14 PM   #46
GNDN
Commodore

Re: Transporters Yay/Nay

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
As much as I identify with Dr. McCoy, I'd have to give it a whirl at least once.
I'm still amazed by how McCoy's reluctance and misgivings about the transporter are mockingly ridiculed in TMP even immediately after a fatal transporter accident. Who in their right mind would willingly step into the same machine that just mangled two of the crew. Or more properly how could Kirk haughtily order him to do it, especially after arriving via travel pod himself, specifically because the transporters weren't working.

What's still odd, of course, is that all three transports in the film imply the need of a working transporter pad at not only the origin point but also the destination.
Old May 20 2011, 03:51 PM   #47
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Given the Federations high moral and ethical philosophy, I just can't see them allowing their people to step into such a machine, cargo sure, but not people.
They don't KNOW they're sending people to a horrible death, because all the people who could tell them are DEAD! You only find out the horrible TRUTH about transporters once the machine disintegrates you!
Old May 20 2011, 08:05 PM   #48
brian577
Captain

[QUOTE=GNDN;4977376]
barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
What's still odd, of course, is that all three transports in the film imply the need of a working transporter pad at not only the origin point but also the destination.
I think it's some kind of protocol for ship to ship transport.
brian577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 10:15 PM   #49
Paradon
Rear Admiral

I hope the Fed is nothing like the Soviet Union which kill a lot of people sending people into outer space in an attempt to beat us in the space race. Every time you have a government looking over and taking charge of some program, people ended up getting killed, like what happened in the U.S.S.R.. And they claim they beat us while all this time they cheated! On second thought! I'll take a shuttle! No one is going to make me! Do I sound like Dr. Macoy?
Old May 21 2011, 12:58 AM   #50
Paradon
Rear Admiral

I hope the socialized medicine runs by the government in the 24th century isn't anything like we have here.... Long line (two days waiting in the ER), crappy services, and outdated equipment and procedures. I don't even trust Crusher to operate on me, so why would let them teleport me? It gives me the creeps!
Old May 21 2011, 01:11 AM   #51
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Not after seeing The Prestige. Not even with David Bowie's help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 02:42 AM   #52
Rojixus
Commander

If I was assured that it would actually be me stepping off the transporter and not a duplicate, I might consider it.
Rojixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 06:10 AM   #53
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Do I have to keep repeating myself? Just go watch "Realm of Fear". It conclusively proves it would actually be you.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 06:17 AM   #54
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Do I have to keep repeating myself? Just go watch "Realm of Fear". It conclusively proves it would actually be you.
But Realm of Fear directly contradicts what other episodes say about transporters including Lonely Among Us and Unnatural Selection.
Old May 21 2011, 06:18 AM   #55
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Paradon wrote: View Post
I hope the Fed is nothing like the Soviet Union which kill a lot of people sending people into outer space ...

On second thought! I'll take a shuttle! No one is going to make me! Do I sound like Dr. Macoy?
Of course, by this time next year if you should want to travel into space, it would have to be aboard a Russian spacecraft.

Surprise.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 06:23 AM   #56
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
But Realm of Fear directly contradicts what other episodes say about transporters including Lonely Among Us and Unnatural Selection.
Only if you let it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2011, 06:27 AM   #57
Paradon
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Paradon wrote: View Post
I hope the Fed is nothing like the Soviet Union which kill a lot of people sending people into outer space ...

On second thought! I'll take a shuttle! No one is going to make me! Do I sound like Dr. Macoy?
Of course, by this time next year if you should want to travel into space, it would have to be aboard a Russian spacecraft.

Surprise.

It's not the same thing, though! Russian government is still unstable and their is a lot of human rights violation...like, trafficking of sex slaves. It's practically a third world.
Old February 3 2013, 09:00 AM   #58
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The transporter KILLS you and then creates a perfect duplicate of you somewhere else, a duplicate who has every single one of your memories except the moment of your DEATH. That's why people in the Star Trek universe think that transporters are safe. It's because people DIE every time they step onto that thing, but they can't warn anybody.

This is my greatest fear, and exactly why I'm always warning people not to teleport. Even if "you" have done it a hundred times, the current version of you should avoid doing it again.

To my knowlege, the problem was first discussed in SPOCK MUST DIE (1970) by James Blish. He defined the transporter process in such a way that there was no doubt you were being re-created at the other end from scratch, not moved intact.

In TNG they defined transporting differently: a subspace carrier wave somehow acted as not just an information superhighway (instructions for your reassembly), but also as a physical highway for sending your actual subatomic particles.

Even so, I would fear that the new newly assembled you might be a copy who only thought he was the same old you.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 06:19 PM   #59
Mojochi
Commodore

Not since I saw The Prestige
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2013, 10:07 PM   #60
Melakon
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
This is my greatest fear, and exactly why I'm always warning people not to teleport.
(coughs) I don't think the Providers like resurrecting 2-year old threads.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is online now   Reply With Quote