Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Would you step onboard the transporter pad?
No thanks, I'll take the bus 24 55.81%
Thought you'd never ask! 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19 2011, 04:54 PM   #31
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Re: Transporters Yay/Nay

Either way, just to be on the safe side... I'd wait for the second model to be cleared for public use.
Old May 19 2011, 04:56 PM   #32
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'm not going.
Old May 19 2011, 09:55 PM   #33
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The transporter KILLS you and then creates a perfect duplicate of you somewhere else, a duplicate who has every single one of your memories except the moment of your DEATH. That's why people in the Star Trek universe think that transporters are safe. It's because people DIE every time they step onto that thing, but they can't warn anybody.
Remember what I just said. The episode "Realm of Fear" proves that the transporter does not kill you. This is because we see that Barclay's consciousness is uninterrupted - from the moment he steps onto the pad until the end of the transport. And he even sees things while being transported.
Old May 19 2011, 09:56 PM   #34
jayrath
Fleet Captain

??? When was it ever stated on screen that the original is destroyed?

Quite the opposite, if you look at the writer's guides and novels.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 09:58 PM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

jayrath wrote: View Post
Nowhere. Not a single onscreen moment ever said that. And as I keep saying, TNG proved the opposite.
Old May 19 2011, 10:07 PM   #36
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Remember what I just said. The episode "Realm of Fear" proves that the transporter does not kill you. This is because we see that Barclay's consciousness is uninterrupted - from the moment he steps onto the pad until the end of the transport. And he even sees things while being transported.
Which, of course, is impossible if your body is dematerialized. Even if the consciousness can somehow exist for a split second while the brain is disintegrated and re-constituted, how can you see without eyes and optic nerves?

At any rate, if we accept the existence of transporters within Star Trek's reality, it stands to reason that they'll never be 100 percent safe and reliable. Nothing is.
Old May 19 2011, 10:13 PM   #37
The Badger
Fleet Captain

The ENT episode Daedalus establishes that the person transported is the original and not a copy.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 10:20 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

scotpens wrote: View Post
Which, of course, is impossible if your body is dematerialized. Even if the consciousness can somehow exist for a split second while the brain is disintegrated and re-constituted, how can you see without eyes and optic nerves?
I love how the writers never let logic get in the way of a bad episode.
Old May 19 2011, 10:22 PM   #39
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

This would have been a lot easier to explain if they had just made the transporter move people by warping space, like ships do with warp drive.
Old May 19 2011, 10:25 PM   #40
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

As much as I identify with Dr. McCoy, I'd have to give it a whirl at least once.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 11:34 PM   #41
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

jayrath wrote: View Post
Nowhere. Not a single onscreen moment ever said that. And as I keep saying, TNG proved the opposite.
Not to mention that if it did work that way, no one in their right mind would use it.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 02:13 AM   #42
HAL.9000
Lieutenant Commander

Not to hijack the topic but I didn't know this thread was made so I made a similar one here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=142327

My angle though is not what the TV series says about it's physic but what would actually be occurring if this technology was developed in the real world.
HAL.9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 06:28 AM   #43
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Butters wrote: View Post
it scans the original, destroying it in the process
So, regardless of any (multiple?) duplicates that might be sent where ever, you believe that the transporter is basically a suicide booth, for want of a better term?

Given the Federations high moral and ethical philosophy, I just can't see them allowing their people to step into such a machine, cargo sure, but not people.

If the transporter scans you and then sends a copy to the destination, why not at that point don't you (the original Butters) simply step back off of the platform and go about your day?

If you Butters believe that your presents on the platform was solely for the purpose of making a detailed scan for an eventual copy, where does the necessity of you death become a requirement?

scotpens wrote: View Post
how can you see without eyes and optic nerves
I guess the most straight forward explanation is that when you're transformed from physical to energy (a energy state) that you continue to have a "intact" energy body, you are for a fraction of a second an energy being, with operational eyes and optical nerves. Obviously Barclay retained his consciousness, so he also possessed a functioning brain throughout the transport process.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 08:04 AM   #44
Paradon
Rear Admiral

Which is why we need a more severe penalty if anyone is stupid enough to lie to the people about how safe the transporter is! Does anybody think anyone will be that stupid to run a company to the ground by killing people using transporter? So, I guess they are safe and reliable! I'm not afraid of it anymore!
Old May 20 2011, 12:24 PM   #45
Timo
Admiral

One wonders... If the "phasing" in the transporting process merely shifts your body from this physical realm to the phased one and then back, where does the "phasing" in the being-hit-by-phaser process take you? Is Heaven full of intact phased-matter-stream-bodies of Kirk's enemies? And intact phased-matter-stream-chunks-of-meat carved from the chests of Sisko's enemies, as Sisko was a cheapskate and never phased an entire enemy body?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote