RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,621
Posts: 5,426,484
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 505
Newest member: down to earth

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 18 2011, 04:00 AM   #106
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Any added resolution that CRT HDTVs might have is, IMHO, far outweighed by the increased risk of hernia and/or extreme back pain incurred by LIFTING the damn things.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 06:23 AM   #107
Lateralus
Commander
 
Lateralus's Avatar
 
Location: I don't even know you...
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

For all those times you pick up and move your television...
__________________
Currently reading: (On hiatus from words)
Previously read: DS9: Abyss, Avatar Two, Avatar One, A Stitch in Time
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 07:36 AM   #108
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain
 
BlobVanDam's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Lateralus wrote: View Post
For all those times you pick up and move your television...
Don't you know? They apparently need to be dead lifted into the air just to turn them on.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 01:48 PM   #109
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Any added resolution that CRT HDTVs might have is, IMHO, far outweighed by the increased risk of hernia and/or extreme back pain incurred by LIFTING the damn things.
Lateralus wrote: View Post
For all those times you pick up and move your television...
My wife likes to move the furniture around every two or three months. That fact alone made the move to LCD worth it.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 06:21 PM   #110
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Some interesting info on HD/35mm film...while 35mm is indeed superior in pixels this will not necessarily always be so, HD is a relatively NEW technology, first being used in 2000 in Japan so we can expect it to improve, but in terms of TV viewing of course, its a huge improvement. The line between the actual quality of the differing pixels in 35mm and HD is already blurring because the "perceived" picture we see is based on lines, not pixels, and audiences and experts alike already can't tell the difference. Add to this, the resolution for HD has now reached 4,250 lines! Well above what we see on or tvs now.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_l...HD_vs_35mm.htm

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 06:33 PM   #111
Mr. B
Vice Admiral
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Location: New Orleans
Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

A 35mm film frame has the equivalent of 25-50 megapixels of usable information, which is about equivalent to a 4,500 line image, but Super Hi-Vision or something like it is at least 20 years from wide adoption
__________________
“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities.”
-Oscar Wilde
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 06:40 PM   #112
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Mr. B wrote: View Post
A 35mm film frame has the equivalent of 25-50 megapixels of usable information, which is about equivalent to a 4,500 line image, but Super Hi-Vision or something like it is at least 20 years from wide adoption

True, the point here is that the series need to be open to future upgrading.

Also, as the article says the best 35mm and HD are already roughly equivalent to human eyesight, because of the lines of res, anything else is just gravy..
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

Last edited by RAMA; May 18 2011 at 07:28 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 06:54 PM   #113
AviTrek
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

RAMA wrote: View Post
Some interesting info on HD/35mm film...while 35mm is indeed superior in pixels this will not necessarily always be so, HD is a relatively NEW technology, first being used in 2000 in Japan so we can expect it to improve, but in terms of TV viewing of course, its a huge improvement. The line between the actual quality of the differing pixels in 35mm and HD is already blurring because the "perceived" picture we see is based on lines, not pixels, and audiences and experts alike already can't tell the difference. Add to this, the resolution for HD has now reached 4,250 lines! Well above what we see on or tvs now.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_l...HD_vs_35mm.htm

RAMA
When used in TV context, HD refers to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p(if you include blu ray). We may have 4k cameras now, but just because they are higher resolution doesn't mean they are HD. When TV switches to 4k, there will be a new name for it. But if TNG is remastered, CBS should be smart and future proof the work by remastering at 4k not HD(1080p).
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 07:31 PM   #114
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

AviTrek wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Some interesting info on HD/35mm film...while 35mm is indeed superior in pixels this will not necessarily always be so, HD is a relatively NEW technology, first being used in 2000 in Japan so we can expect it to improve, but in terms of TV viewing of course, its a huge improvement. The line between the actual quality of the differing pixels in 35mm and HD is already blurring because the "perceived" picture we see is based on lines, not pixels, and audiences and experts alike already can't tell the difference. Add to this, the resolution for HD has now reached 4,250 lines! Well above what we see on or tvs now.

http://filmschoolonline.com/sample_l...HD_vs_35mm.htm

RAMA
When used in TV context, HD refers to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p(if you include blu ray). We may have 4k cameras now, but just because they are higher resolution doesn't mean they are HD. When TV switches to 4k, there will be a new name for it. But if TNG is remastered, CBS should be smart and future proof the work by remastering at 4k not HD(1080p).
Well that's semantics, better left to some marketing dept of the future..whatever the term is for it in the future they'd better be ready for it.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 07:53 PM   #115
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral
 
DeafPoet's Avatar
 
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
In the film and TV business this is called conforming an edit since the editors work is already done and the original high resolution footage needs to be conformed to the edit.
Currently when a TV series edits on downconverted standard definition DVCAM after the edit is complete the nonlinear editor's edit decision list with timecodes (as XML of AAF files) is used to conform the original high definition tapes. Usually this is somewhat automated once the footage is loaded in. Dissolves and effects are rendered, CGI visual effects are added and a master is ready.
Back in the 1980s and 1990s though the tape-to-tape linear videotape editing systems had an EDL (edit decision list) which was a semi-proprietary format (usually saved on 3.5" floppy discs) that had minimal information such as tape# and timecodes in & out for each edit to be able to edit from videotapes of the film telecine to create a videotape master. If that EDL material were printed out and saved it would help assistant editors and a post-production-supervisor's work on TNG-Remastering.
If not then all the raw 35mm footage will take a lot more effort to catalog the 35mm film to be able to locate scenes and takes used and then edits eye-matched to the original master.
This is a good point that I was going to make. There's a relatively good explanation of how TNG and DS9 were edited down to video in The Making of DS9. Everyone keeps saying that it would need to be edited from scratch, and that may be true if all the original stuff from editing is gone. But, I'd imagine that if they bothered to save the original film elements then the edit logs are probably still kicking around somewhere too.

So, it might be a somewhat arduous task to re-create the episodes but nowhere near as bad as having to eyeball the whole thing.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 09:13 PM   #116
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Any added resolution that CRT HDTVs might have is, IMHO, far outweighed by the increased risk of hernia and/or extreme back pain incurred by LIFTING the damn things.
Lateralus wrote: View Post
For all those times you pick up and move your television...
My wife likes to move the furniture around every two or three months. That fact alone made the move to LCD worth it.
It's not so much the *desire* to move your TV, it's the *ability* to do so. What if you move? What if you somehow do need to reorder the furniture (for whatever reason)? What if your TV breaks and you need to get it fixed? Good luck doing any of that shit with a CRT unit. You'll break your back in the process.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 01:22 AM   #117
TeutonicNights
Commander
 
TeutonicNights's Avatar
 
Location: Non-isotropic cosmos
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I just hope they don't air the episodes in order.
New FX and sharp picture won't make me excited for "Encounter at Farpoint" (or any other season 1 episode).

I mean, I could take remastered "The Last Outpost" between "The Wounded" and "Ensign Ro", but having to sit through a whole season of trash before the good stuff comes along would be terrible.
If they can work out some clever airing order, that would be great.
Like they would air "Data's Day" pretty soon (because of Keiko), but not before they air "The Neutral Zone" (b/c of the Rommies "being back"). For DS9 that wouldn't work, but for TNG it might.
They also should start with BOBW. It will get people's attention.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 02:44 AM   #118
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

TeutonicNights wrote: View Post

They also should start with BOBW. It will get people's attention.
Obviously no learned anything from Balance of Terror.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 03:24 AM   #119
TeutonicNights
Commander
 
TeutonicNights's Avatar
 
Location: Non-isotropic cosmos
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I admit, if they pulled a BoT-R purist wank on BoBW that would be worse than Encounter at Farpoint.

But they do know there aren't so many TNG FX purists out there, right? Or are there?
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 04:07 AM   #120
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

BillJ wrote: View Post
TeutonicNights wrote: View Post

They also should start with BOBW. It will get people's attention.
Obviously no learned anything from Balance of Terror.
TeutonicNights wrote: View Post
I admit, if they pulled a BoT-R purist wank on BoBW that would be worse than Encounter at Farpoint.

But they do know there aren't so many TNG FX purists out there, right? Or are there?
Nothing about purists here. It was the first episode redone and the models and effects just weren't very good. They should probably work the kinks out of the process before trying to do effects heavy episodes.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered, tng-r

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.