Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 17 2011, 09:07 PM   #376
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Montgomery can't be the big bad. He's not that powerful. It'd have to be a crime lord or someone high up in political office.
I would not rule out Montgomery so quickly.

Wow, I wrote this 5 months ago and I can't believe how close I was to the identity of the 3rd cop! So it was indeed Montgomery, except that he had to give away the ransom money to the "big bad".

The only remaining suspect is the Mayor, so I'm placing my bet on him!
Old May 17 2011, 10:46 PM   #377
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
Beckett has to survive, she and him are the spark of the show - however, I think that Beckett is gonna slip into a coma for a while, come out of it and have no memory of Castle. That's gonna reset their relationship to zero and allow them to drag it out for as long as they want.
Oh, damn, I hope not. That would be incredibly lame and corny, a tiresome soap-opera cliche with zero believability. Good grief, if she suffered enough brain damage to erase the past three years of her memory, then realistically she'd have other serious neurological impairments that would probably make it impossible for her to function as a detective, maybe even to lead an unassisted life. To have her restored to perfect functionality but with the last three years of memory gone -- or even worse, to remember everything except Castle -- would be completely nonsensical.

Not to mention that resetting her character to square one, erasing all her life experience of the past three years, would be a total waste from a storytelling standpoint.

Fair enough, but I just dont see her walking away from that gunshot without something that puts a wedge in her and Castle's relationship. Your right, it probably will be the trauma of it all, but she seems like such a strong person, being shot and all, that it wont be a lasting wedge.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 11:45 PM   #378
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

WHAT?!?

I HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE FALL!?

My reaction exactly!!! At least Castle said it.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JINXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 01:07 AM   #379
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Kirby wrote: View Post
^^ Yeah, the amnesia bit is too hokey.

My prediction:
They'll start season 4 several months later (as they did with previous seasons) and Beckett will be recovered, physically at least. She heard what Castle said to her before she passed out, but she's going through so much sh*t that she can't deal with it right now. Castle will be there to support her, and not push the relationship thing until she's ready. Beckett will start seeing a therapist, and will want to move slow with Castle.
Montgomery was pulling police files out of a safe at his house, and he sent a letter somewhere, so I'm sure those will play a big part in continuing that storyline.

I'd like to see Esposito and Ryan get more to do, maybe have Castle work just with them for an episode or two as Beckett is recovering.

Damn this show. I love it too much!
I can see most of that, but not Beckett going to a therapist. If she wasn't going to one all these years over her mother's death, over all the shit she sees day to day as a cop, I don't see what is going to motivate her to do it now.

Montgomery was a betrayal but so was what she went through with her ex partner earlier in the season. She deals with things herself, processing her emotions in her downtime alone. This is integral to her character and it's the reason why she needs Castle as part of her life to pull her up into the sunshine regularly, as was well described in the finale.

I'm left with the impression the sudden move by the bad guys was motivated by Montgomery's impending retirement? So Beckett wouldn't have been on his leash anymore? But I'm not sure if the episode spelled that out.
intrinsical wrote: View Post
Wow, I wrote this 5 months ago and I can't believe how close I was to the identity of the 3rd cop! So it was indeed Montgomery, except that he had to give away the ransom money to the "big bad".

The only remaining suspect is the Mayor, so I'm placing my bet on him!
And the mayor was pushing Castle onto Beckett all this time as well, and regularly mentioned by Montgomery.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 08:55 AM   #380
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Anyone else feeling that the scene with her dad felt a little fishy? Later, when he mentions her dad they're interrupted before he can mention the visit. Fake dad? Big bad? Big bad evil Daddy? Intentional distraction? There is something off there.

In any case, I look forward to the upcoming Storm graphic novel and third Rook/Heat novel.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 09:21 AM   #381
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

When we were watching at the time I turned and said Why didn't dad come up with this stuff when she was getting blown up in her apartment?
Old May 18 2011, 02:52 PM   #382
Christopher
Writer

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
I can see most of that, but not Beckett going to a therapist. If she wasn't going to one all these years over her mother's death, over all the shit she sees day to day as a cop, I don't see what is going to motivate her to do it now.
Almost dying? Discovering her admired captain was part of the conspiracy and then seeing him die? That's well beyond the usual stuff she endures, and it would be deeply reckless for her not to go to a therapist after such a traumatic ordeal. Indeed, I imagine it's probably standard procedure for officers who've been shot and nearly died to be required to talk to someone in the wake of it, just as (if I understand correctly) they're required to talk to a therapist after shooting someone.

And who says she's never been in therapy before in the wake of her mother's death? We've only known her for three years.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Anyone else feeling that the scene with her dad felt a little fishy? Later, when he mentions her dad they're interrupted before he can mention the visit. Fake dad? Big bad? Big bad evil Daddy? Intentional distraction? There is something off there.
Yeah, I was suspicious of the dad the moment he showed up and tried to get Castle to convince her to drop the case.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 03:29 PM   #383
Scout101
Admiral

I thought he was dead, which was part of why she wore his watch, but must have crossed my wires somewhere...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 03:31 PM   #384
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I thought he was dead, which was part of why she wore his watch, but must have crossed my wires somewhere...
He became an alcoholic, and managed to climb out of the bottle. The watch is a symbol of the life saved. She wears her mother's ring as a symbol of the life lost.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 05:42 PM   #385
kitkat
Admiral

JiNX-01 wrote: View Post
WHAT?!?

I HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE FALL!?

My reaction exactly!!! At least Castle said it.
Let me add my "ditto" to this sentiment. I was like, really? REALLY?????

Past, present and future walked into a bar...it was tense.
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 11:22 PM   #386
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Almost dying? Discovering her admired captain was part of the conspiracy and then seeing him die?
I guess you missed the episodes where she gets blown up in her apartment, almost freezes to death in Rick's arms, her ex partner betrays her trust and then later on gets killed.
Old May 19 2011, 11:28 PM   #387
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

Neroon wrote: View Post
Okay, so he did the wrong thing for the right reasons. But that's more a desperate necessity than a heroic act to be celebrated.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. He knew who he was dealing with, and what they were capable of. You can call it desperate, and I would agree... and I think the character would agree on that. Heroic? that' also a point to debate, but I would still support the decision simply because of who he was dealing with and the knowledge of what they would do if they were allowed to leave the scene alive. Then again... maybe Lockwood did survive and was actually Beckett's shooter. That's unlikely though, given the proximity of Montgomery's gun when shot and the amount of time until Montgomery's funeral.
I think Kate was shot by whoever hired Lockwood.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JINXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2011, 11:53 PM   #388
Christopher
Writer

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Almost dying? Discovering her admired captain was part of the conspiracy and then seeing him die?
I guess you missed the episodes where she gets blown up in her apartment, almost freezes to death in Rick's arms, her ex partner betrays her trust and then later on gets killed.
You know, it's really childish to accuse someone of being ignorant just because they disagree with your interpretation. I'm perfectly well aware of those episodes, which is why I don't think they're the same thing as what happened here. In her blown-up apartment, she had time to duck into the full bathtub and wasn't substantially injured. In the freezer, again, that was a fairly brief brush with death, not as severe as actually being shot, bleeding out, and (presumably) having to spend a significant amount of time in the hospital to recover. Between that and all the other ordeals she went through in this episode, she's very likely to come out of this with PTSD.

I did some research, and apparently post-traumatic counseling is sometimes mandatory in the NYPD but generally voluntary, and I wasn't able to find what the specific breakdown was. Apparently I was right that most police departments require counseling sessions after a "critical incident," usually defined as a police shooting, but it doesn't say anything about being shot. And apparently there's a lot of resistance to counseling within police culture due to fears of stigma, which is just stupid. We've really got to outgrow these absurd mental-health stigmas and recognize that the brain is no different from the rest of the body -- sometimes it gets sick or injured and needs treatment to get better, and counseling is just part of how a responsible person takes care of one's health.

So if Beckett does refuse therapy after this, it will be consistent with the culture she's part of, but it will still be a very foolish choice. I hope she has the intelligence and maturity to seek therapy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 12:13 AM   #389
Jax
Admiral

I hope she has the intelligence and maturity to seek therapy.
You make her sound real , I guess you hope the writers have the intelligence and maturity. It could make some decent scenes I just think they will use Castle in a way as her shrink to help her though and bring them two together as a couple.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2011, 11:43 AM   #390
Saxman1
Commodore

Great ep! Let's just hope we're past the silly 1980's stuff like in "Remington Steele" where they dragged out the Laura/Remington relationship (the "will they or won't they get together") so long that people lose interest. I say this as a fan of that show. By the time they actually did get together, it was the series finale and no one much cared at that point. Indeed, by the 4th season, the ratings were falling big time as the writers concocted ever-more ridiculous means to keep the two main characters apart.

When they probably hook up in the end, it was done so poorly, it left a bad taste in one's mouth and even then, they never even show them kiss, it ends with a lamp being turned off in a window. Stupid.

I mention "Remington" because there are similarities: the woman is the "real" cop, the man is a decent investigator, but not a legitimate one, the will they/won't they, etc. Again, let's hope we've moved beyond the silly 1980s soap opera conventions, as one poster wrote above.
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote