RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,698
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 436
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Finale"
SUPERMAN (Excellent) 35 33.02%
The Blur (Above Average) 24 22.64%
CLARK KENT (Average) 22 20.75%
Kal-El (Below Average) 12 11.32%
BIZARRO (Poor) 13 12.26%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17 2011, 04:44 PM   #826
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Mach5 wrote: View Post
To me, Smallville was never REALLY Superman anyway. Jor-El, an invisible god from an ice cave? Clark Kent and Lex Luthor best buddies? Lois Lane living on the Kent farm? Killing off Jimmy Olsen before Clarke became Supes? Come on! Smallville was never meant to be a Superman prequel or anything...
People say this a lot, but for all the show's faults, it has stayed true to the basic story of Superman. Plus, Jor-El in an ice cave, and Clark and Lex knowing eachother in Smallville didn't originate with this show.

timothy wrote: View Post
all so you gotta wonder who was lex's running mate and who ran aginst him .
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Pete Ross was the Vice President in the comics during the "brief" Luthor Administration. If Sam wasn't in Jail, I wonder if his character would have been standing beside the President elect?
That's the answer I was going to give to timothy's quote above... Pete Ross.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 05:56 PM   #827
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
To me, Smallville was never REALLY Superman anyway. Jor-El, an invisible god from an ice cave? Clark Kent and Lex Luthor best buddies? Lois Lane living on the Kent farm? Killing off Jimmy Olsen before Clarke became Supes? Come on! Smallville was never meant to be a Superman prequel or anything...
People say this a lot, but for all the show's faults, it has stayed true to the basic story of Superman. Plus, Jor-El in an ice cave, and Clark and Lex knowing eachother in Smallville didn't originate with this show.
How about Martha Kent - THE SENATOR?
Old May 17 2011, 05:59 PM   #828
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Interesting retrospective on all 10 years of Smallville and the problems with the finale at Supermanhomepage.com.
Old May 17 2011, 06:17 PM   #829
Agent Richard07
Admiral

How about Martha Kent - THE SENATOR?
It's not something I would have done, but it still doesn't radically alter the basic story of Superman. It is a new twist in a franchise that's filled with new twists.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 06:17 PM   #830
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I liked it and I haven't watched Smallville much at all.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; May 17 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 07:28 PM   #831
Checkmate
Commodore

Well, at least we can think of it this way: The creators didn't get the chance to lay this crap on the Batman franchise like they originally wanted to.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 09:26 PM   #832
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Well, at least we can think of it this way: The creators didn't get the chance to lay this crap on the Batman franchise like they originally wanted to.
Oh yeah! *phew!*

Can you imagine bruce wayne being angsty for 10 seasons? Would've nearly destroyed the character

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 09:30 PM   #833
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Well, it didn't destroy Superman (or Clark Kent), so...
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 11:39 PM   #834
Showdown
Fleet Captain

They didn't kill off Jimmy. They killed off Jimmy's older brother, Henry James Olsen. Everyone called him Jimmy for some strange reason; to throw us off I guess. The younger brother did appear in the final seconds of the finale, working as a photographer at the Daily Planet, and is played by the same actor.

Last edited by Showdown; May 18 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Showdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 11:43 PM   #835
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Am I the only one who noticed that all the Superman scenes were just ripped from Superman Returns? I found that pretty lame. And the bluescreen/greenscreen stuff appeared to be even worse than in Lois & Clark.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 01:16 AM   #836
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

The scenes were not "ripped" from Superman Returns.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same CGI template.

middyseafort wrote: View Post
I couldn't get through half of that. The author's apparent contempt of people who like the show after ten years is mind-boggling insofar that he implies that rational people (presumably like him) would have given up on the show long ago. His attitude goes a little too far to take the article in a serious manner or at face value.

Last edited by Team Broccoli; May 18 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 03:55 AM   #837
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

CW will air the Finale again this Thursday at 8 EST, if anyone cares.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 08:48 AM   #838
Checkmate
Commodore

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Checkmate wrote: View Post
Oh yeah! *phew!*

Can you imagine bruce wayne being angsty for 10 seasons? Would've nearly destroyed the character
Smallville's style of angst (which was only a minor problem with the show) certainly would have.

The real problems would be more like having Bruce Wayne's name changed because the so-called actor they would have hired thought "Bruce" was too effemininate. So he'd become something like Bruce "John" Wayne, and everyone would call him John.

The Joker would have been a transfer student who's father was a Quebecoise street mime. He would have befriended John soon after coming to squeaky-clean and bright Gotham High and would be inseperable for the first half of the premiere episode, until John got the new "class clown" in trouble with their teacher. The Joker would vow to destroy John while his nose was in the corner, and the rest of the first season would (when they remembered they had such a storyline in play) occassionally reference some deadly prank the Joker had set up. Like water in a bucket over a door. But John would see the string before it was too late, foiling the Joker's dastardly plot.

But in the season finale, John would tell him he's a jerk and give the Joker a light shove, and he would thusly be defeated forever.

Next season would be heavily commercialized to show the conflict between John and Ra's (aka "Roz") al Ghul, the son of a 7-11 mogul with unlimited funds. But he, too, would be utterly defeated with a light shove at the end of the season if, again, the writers remembered he was even the villian of the season. Which they wouldn't, except for maybe one or two episodes.

And so on and so forth, for ten years. None of which would spend any time with John leaving Gotham except on rare occasions, and then only to check out his daddy's holdings in other cities where, of course, he would find recorded journals that his father left behind to guide him on his journey to manhood. If we were really lucky, we might hear that Wayne Enterprises had a tech department as a passing wink so that we, the audience, would know that's where he gets his gadgets... but we'd never once see him use any at all. I mean, why would he need one in the first place? He can shove people just fine as is.

Oh, and his martial arts training would include a private yoga instructor in the form of a plucky blond chick, introduced for the sole reason of giving him a love triangle to angst over. And even that training would eventually be forgotten a season or two later as she went on to become Batgirl (who's name they'd have no trouble getting permission to use) before John even considered the idea of putting on a cowl. Not that he would, because it would totally muss up his hair.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2011, 10:41 AM   #839
Procutus
Admiral

A number of things have kept me from getting back to this discussion since Friday night. I see I have a lot of reading to do!

After letting it simmer in the back of my mind for a few days, I'm still disappointed in what we got. For me, this really turned into the expectation being greater than the event; there was just simply no way the finale could live up to its hype.

I've kept it in the DVR and will watch it again in a month or so to see if it still strikes me the same way.
Old May 18 2011, 11:07 AM   #840
O'Dib
Commodore

Procutus wrote: View Post

After letting it simmer in the back of my mind for a few days, I'm still disappointed in what we got. For me, this really turned into the expectation being greater than the event; there was just simply no way the finale could live up to its hype.
Well after 10 years of underdelivering, one couldn't realistically expect the finale to be a kick-ass Superman story either. It's just that we were shorted so many times, the show's tab was running high, and we though they would at least make an honest attempt at paying off a sizeable chunk of that dept. But instead of coming up with the dough, Smallville's inebriated self collapsed onto the bar floor and was whisked off by an ambulance, never to be heard from again.

And this proverbial bartender, having served up many a round of those concoctions called "Ratings" and "Advertising Revenue", was tired of having his ear talked off by that confusing buffoon with the peculiar speech impediment of only using the most convoluted phrases to express the simplest ideas. "Sorry for interrupting your activities via my electronic communications device", he would mumble every time he used a cellphone, with a smug smirk on his face, like he had just said something really clever. And then he would go on telling me fantastical stories about how he's really important and powerful, and only chooses not to fly so as to play fair. Somehow his true personality would shine through even in these fictional accounts, 'cause he'd always end up behaving a little bitch. 'Can't say I'll miss the sorry customer.