Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Finale"
SUPERMAN (Excellent) 35 33.02%
The Blur (Above Average) 24 22.64%
CLARK KENT (Average) 22 20.75%
Kal-El (Below Average) 12 11.32%
BIZARRO (Poor) 13 12.26%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2011, 11:09 PM   #811
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

the main thing that really surprised me on the finale was when they showed the president he was'nt a black pres like obama. I wonder why?

all so you gotta wonder who was lex's running mate and who ran aginst him .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 11:20 PM   #812
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

For the same reason Deep Impact had a black president.
Old May 16 2011, 11:34 PM   #813
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

never saw deep impact.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 11:47 PM   #814
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Not that it matters since the Toy Man, and likely the rest of the we're-not-supposed-to-be-smart-enough-to-realize-it's-the-Legion-of-Doom know his secret, making Lex's memory wipe even more pointless.
Wow. You're right...that makes the Lex losing his memory thing to be fucking ridiculous.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 12:06 AM   #815
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Saw a comedian recently (blanking on the name) "I dream of an America one day where a white kid can grow up to be President."

There's a risk of being patronizing to always make the screen presidents black now that it's not impossible wish fulfilment, and especially to say that black contender would fail when put up against a white guy. A rich white guy, but not just a rich white guy, a rich white guy who had his memory erased. So a black guy loses to a vegetable who doesn't know how to tie his shoes?

Is it worse to be patronizing or insulting?

The whole wrong year thing might mean scandal/impeachment/resignation or assassination?

Chris Rock said a verrrrrrrrrrrry long time ago something like "No white President is going to have a black vice president, because it'll be about 5 minutes before some brother out there shoots whitey."

Blaire Underwood has been a terrible fictional president in the event.

(White) Pete Ross was the Vice President in the comics during the "brief" Luthor Administration. If Sam wasn't in Jail, I wonder if his character would have been standing beside the President elect?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; May 17 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 12:06 AM   #816
Dream
Admiral

timothy wrote: View Post
the main thing that really surprised me on the finale was when they showed the president he was'nt a black pres like obama. I wonder why?

Obama doesn't exist in the DC comics universe, he does exist in Marvel comics though.

Old May 17 2011, 12:35 AM   #817
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Checkmate wrote: View Post
Not that it matters since the Toy Man, and likely the rest of the we're-not-supposed-to-be-smart-enough-to-realize-it's-the-Legion-of-Doom know his secret, making Lex's memory wipe even more pointless.
Wow. You're right...that makes the Lex losing his memory thing to be fucking ridiculous.
Not sure what one has to do with the other. Several Batman archvillains know his identity. Several don't.
Old May 17 2011, 01:39 AM   #818
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Not sure what one has to do with the other. Several Batman archvillains know his identity. Several don't.
There's a vast difference between The Joker knowing Batman's identity (which is very clear from Morrison's work) and Luthor knowing Superman's identity.

The Joker really doesn't care who's under the cowl, while Luthor would set about to destroy Superman indirectly through the people Clark knew and loved and the places that Clark valued, much as Ra's al-Ghul has attempted to bring down Wayne Enterprises by striking at its people and its business. (If you're not reading Red Robin, the book's turned into a nice cat-and-mouse game between Tim Drake and Ra's.) Luthor would use the knowledge in ways that would result in no blowback toward him; The Joker's only interest is in Batman playing his psychotic games, so the identity of Batman is useless to him.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 02:13 AM   #819
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Man vs Nerd or Man vs Superman?

Clark Kent is too easy to destroy.

Clark Kent doesn't threaten or look down on Luthor.

Luthor already knows that he is better than Kent even if he knows that Kent is Superman.

The only victory for a mere human being is in destroying the ubermensch.

Besides if Luthor exploits the weakness that is Clark Kent, Kal will either tidy it up bulletproof or cut it out (Superman, NO MORE!), and suddenly Superman does not have that huge chink in his armour. Allowing it to fester uncontrollably and rough is in Luthors interest.

However.

Luthor may need to destroy Clark Kent because that facet of the Aliens personality muddies his victory of the inhuman thing from space that is subverting human will and destiny like some over bearing coddling (super) nanny.

It's like finally beating up a bully who is larger and stronger you who has been over bearing and menacing to you for years, only to discover that she has the flu quite bad and can't quite see you or form a fist at the moment you chose for the take down.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 02:29 AM   #820
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
There's a vast difference between The Joker knowing Batman's identity (which is very clear from Morrison's work) and Luthor knowing Superman's identity.

The Joker really doesn't care who's under the cowl, while Luthor would set about to destroy Superman indirectly through the people Clark knew and loved and the places that Clark valued, much as Ra's al-Ghul has attempted to bring down Wayne Enterprises by striking at its people and its business. (If you're not reading Red Robin, the book's turned into a nice cat-and-mouse game between Tim Drake and Ra's.) Luthor would use the knowledge in ways that would result in no blowback toward him; The Joker's only interest is in Batman playing his psychotic games, so the identity of Batman is useless to him.
Sounds like a perfect reason to wipe Luthor's memory.
Old May 17 2011, 02:42 PM   #821
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

In fairness, we never saw the president's face. We only got a shoulder shot.
Old May 17 2011, 02:57 PM   #822
marksound
Fleet Captain

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Real explanation: It's a fictional universe. Doesn't matter what color POTUS is, he ain't real. Just like Clark's CGI suit.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 04:18 PM   #823
Starbrow
Lieutenant Commander

Castle season 3 Finale > Smallville season 10 Finale.

Space Cowboy > Superman.

To bad though, Smallville was a starting so good.

Last edited by Starbrow; May 17 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Starbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 04:26 PM   #824
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

They had to show President he wasn't a Black Man? Why didn't he already know what color he was? I totally missed that part?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 04:38 PM   #825
Checkmate
Commodore

Broccoli wrote: View Post
We saw his hand.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote