Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 16 2011, 12:20 AM   #91
Australis
Writer

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2011 (Düsseldorf, Germany)

We don't get the Norton, we have our own these days. Miss the Wogan. But everybody does.

My choice for a Brit entry would be a Bill Bailey/Biran May collaboration on a 3 minute epic laced with humour (BB is an excellent muso) an make it rock. You Brits, make it happen!

I think Slovenia was a better song than Azerbaijan, better singer too, but I'm not bitter or irritated or somesuch, just surprised and curious.

Next year, Baku!

What times, and what customs! (Cicero).
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 01:00 AM   #92
iBender
Fleet Captain

Maybe, if a group unknowns or an all out international superstar line up paid tribuit to Eurovision by performing an overture of all that Great British music that seems to have sold soo well.

Or better yet, if we just had Holly Valance, heck, I'd fly to Azerbaijan if it was to see that.
iBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 01:12 AM   #93
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Eyes wrote: View Post
Azerbaijan WIN!!!!

Best win ever!!!

And Eric in 2nd is brilliant as well.

ETA: Or 3rd. Bloody Italy, with their shit song that everyone seems to have voted for to keep them from leaving again.
Funny, cause I thought the Swedish entry was utter shite. Uninspired, unsubtle, poser pop with shallow, stupid lyrics and synthetic 1990's dance background music. Oh, and did I mention the annoying flashy show of stupid dancing, light flashes and general uber dumbness of a ridiculous pop show where the music itself matters f**k all.

Yes, I hated it. But hey, from the country that tortured the world by producing Abba... so no surprise.

While I think Italy's entry was one of the few entries that actually had some quality music, real instruments, style and swing. It seemed inspired in comparison to Sweden's standard pop crap.

I watched the ESC with a bunch of Germans and we were cheering and laughing when Italy went past Sweden after the last vote.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 06:06 AM   #94
Jono
Rear Admiral

Shaytan wrote: View Post
No offense, everyone, but I'm struggling to see how anyone could not see Running Scared as winning material. As soon as I heard it for the first time I said to myself "That should win," and now it actually has.
Because it's forgettable...hey, I already don't remember it.
It's made to please people who doesn't really care about music, who are happy with something easy to the hears. But when you think about it, there is no material in it, nothing to remember.
That's the general consensus where I am as well by those who saw the show. There were two people who didn't stay up for the voting and both needed it spelt out to them what the winner's song was.

SBS, the TV channel that shows Eurovision here, put up a poll for Aussies to vote on for our choice. You could vote as often as you wanted, plus you could give songs down votes as well.

Here is how we voted:

1. Ireland
2. Greece
3. Serbia
4. Bosnia
5. Moldova
6. Hungary
7. Sweden
8. Denmark
9. UK
10. Ukraine
11. Finland
12. Romania
13. Iceland
14. Russia
15. Italy
16. Germany
17. Estonia
18. Slovenia
19. France
20. Austria
21. Georgia
22. Spain
23. Switzerland
24. Lithuania
25. Azerbaijan

I don't know about the voting. I think they were having a laugh with putting Jedwood first. Moldova coming so high was probably because it was crazy. Azerbaijan, I suspect got a hammering of down votes when people found out it won as a protest rather than it being what people thought was the worst of the finalists. I didn't check the site until after the final had finished over in Germany, but I'd think it would really be a bit higher than that...maybe around the 18 mark.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 10:47 AM   #95
iBender
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I voted for Iceland, twice, tried a third time, it wouldn't let me.
I even tried a fourth time, no luck.
iBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 11:05 AM   #96
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

We didn't vote, but if we had have done, then we'd have voted for Moldova - t'was absolutely insane!
Old May 16 2011, 11:49 AM   #97
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Azerbaijan WIN!!!!

Best win ever!!!

And Eric in 2nd is brilliant as well.

ETA: Or 3rd. Bloody Italy, with their shit song that everyone seems to have voted for to keep them from leaving again.
Funny, cause I thought the Swedish entry was utter shite. Uninspired, unsubtle, poser pop with shallow, stupid lyrics and synthetic 1990's dance background music. Oh, and did I mention the annoying flashy show of stupid dancing, light flashes and general uber dumbness of a ridiculous pop show where the music itself matters f**k all.

Yes, I hated it. But hey, from the country that tortured the world by producing Abba... so no surprise.

While I think Italy's entry was one of the few entries that actually had some quality music, real instruments, style and swing. It seemed inspired in comparison to Sweden's standard pop crap.

I watched the ESC with a bunch of Germans and we were cheering and laughing when Italy went past Sweden after the last vote.
It's called Scandi-pop. A subgenre that's sadly been struggling in recent years internationally, imo, Scandinavian countries produce the best pop music (and they're not bad on dance either), so I'm always supporting most of what the Scandinavian countries put into Eurovision. Personally, I'd emigrate to Sweden just for the music scene. (They've had Popular at #1 for 4 weeks in the lead up to the contest)

Whether you liked it or not, you have to admit the performance stood out, and not in a hilarious way, like with Moldova. Eric's team did very well to get him 3rd, considering he was after Jedward, and after him yet another pop entry. Had he done anything other than an over the top performance, he would have been forgotten like Estonia was.

From where I'm standing, I saw Italy as a boring orchestral song, with a horrible screechy noise in the middle, and it only came second with a combination of the juries scoring it highly and a flurry of 'OMG! Italy's back' votes.
I'm not getting the atmosphere thing. It sent me to sleep and the music sounded like it belonged in the 50s.
Old May 16 2011, 01:26 PM   #98
Australis
Writer

Hey, what was all the booing about? Our commentators, uh, commented on that.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old May 16 2011, 01:36 PM   #99
MacLeod
Admiral

Thinking back, I can barely remember any song that has actually won the contest. If asked I could perhaps name two off the top of my head.

ABBA "Waterloo" (which was b4 I was even born)
Bucks Fizz "Making Your Mind Up" but then again that could be because of the skirts coming off.

Aside from those no song really sticks in my mind.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 02:06 PM   #100
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

Hey, what was all the booing about? Our commentators, uh, commented on that.
It was mostly for the famous "neighbour votes",
It happened a lot again, like almost every year
The voting that is, not the booing..I found that bit rude and silly.

I liked this years Eurovision much more than last years
Germany hosted good ESC, with great stage-desing.
The program was fine, though I found the rap-artists lyrics difficult to hear..and maybe it went on a tad bit long.
Otherwise a great finale..and the voting results where most interesting in years
Left a much better taste to my mouth than last years final, though was not horrible either, just weaker to previous years.

I think we saw many talented singers, heard great vocals
and listened good songs this year
(I am happy that I discovered few new talented artists to listen..and career to follow in the future, like Maja from Slovenia, Nina from Serbia and Poli from Bulgaria)

Azerbaijan won, congratulations!!!
I was fine with them winning and honestly liked this much more than last years winner..
( I did not much like Lena this year either, sorry).

Italy being second was the biggest shock of the evening
I did NOT see that coming at all
Personally, I though it was one of the worst songs in the contest..and I rated it 1/5
"You just dont understand Jazz..": said a person to me in a esc-chatroom, when I let my opinion known.
Well, maybe I do not..but IMHO there was much more better songs out there..and singers
Italy must have had tons of jury votes and lost of "Welcome back, Italy" ones.

My favorites did quite well.
Ukraine was nicely 4th and Slovenia I think 13th, shame that they lost to Moldova the 12th place with only one point
Hungary flopped badly, sadly.
I am bit baffled of why Because this was one of the best songs and well performed.
(Australia seemed to like Hungary more then Europe, any thoughts of why is that?)

Baku 2012 is next then..will be interesting
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 02:20 PM   #101
Australis
Writer

Every Way That I Can is on my playlist. The Olsen Bros sticks in my mind. There's a couple of others, but not many.
Old May 16 2011, 04:01 PM   #102
Jono
Rear Admiral

JRS wrote: View Post
(Australia seemed to like Hungary more then Europe, any thoughts of why is that?)
We're Michael Bolton fans...I actually feel bad that I just made that joke.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 05:04 PM   #103
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

It's called Scandi-pop. A subgenre that's sadly been struggling in recent years internationally, imo, Scandinavian countries produce the best pop music (and they're not bad on dance either), so I'm always supporting most of what the Scandinavian countries put into Eurovision. Personally, I'd emigrate to Sweden just for the music scene. (They've had Popular at #1 for 4 weeks in the lead up to the contest)

I only know Scandinavian music through death metal (and they're very good at it, and well known for that). I particularly like melodic death metal. To have them in the Eurovision would be very very entertaining, in several ways

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Thinking back, I can barely remember any song that has actually won the contest. If asked I could perhaps name two off the top of my head.

ABBA "Waterloo" (which was b4 I was even born)
Bucks Fizz "Making Your Mind Up" but then again that could be because of the skirts coming off.

Aside from those no song really sticks in my mind.
I think I can name a few but the 1st one I can remember is this one :

Old May 16 2011, 09:34 PM   #104
Krisno
Commodore

Nice songs this year. The Azeri song wasn't my favourite, but I understand why it won. I also liked Serbia, Iceland, Moldova and Denmark. Yes, Moldova wasn't bad if you consider the genre. On the other hand, the UK, Ireland, Sweden and Greece were particularly bad in my view. It seems western countries are becoming the thing that they accuse eastern countries of being: shallow pop circus acts. I had this especially with the UK entry, it was out of tune and the song was just forgettable and unbearable at times. That black guy in the UK's Blue is probably the only black guy in the world who can't sing!

My country the Netherlands again didn't make it to the final. I blame the performance. It was just really bad with horrible styling and chaotic and unorganised choreography. Perhaps we the Dutch should realise that we're not good at this. The Dutch entry was simply blown away by the competition.

Ofcourse a lot of Dutch people are accusing the eastern block again. Personally I don't believe this. In the last 10 years only 4 winners came from the east, and I don't believe Estonia even could be considered as part of the eastern block as a non slavic nation. And ofcourse Azerbaijan definitely ISN'T part of the eastern block because it's an Asian Islamic Turkic speaking nation! This year's top 10 only includes 3 eastern block nations, if you consider Georgia to be part of the Eastern block which is also doubtful.